Notices

Judged by AA Extremists? Have to say it

Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Hey...You found something that works for you...Who can ask for more than that? You should share with everyone what that program is and how it works...It's all about recovery...No matter how you get it.
I used the Jude Thaddeus Program. I have seen it advertised on this site and mentioned it in other threads. It is available at their location or as a home study course. I highly recommend it, but I just might be a little bit partial since it worked for me. To each his own. Feel free to check out their web site. Just type "sober forever" into your search engine. One word of caution. This program was concieved by AA failures like myself. They share my feelings for that particular program.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davidf938 View Post
I used the Jude Thaddeus Program. I have seen it advertised on this site and mentioned it in other threads. It is available at their location or as a home study course. I highly recommend it, but I just might be a little bit partial since it worked for me. To each his own. Feel free to check out their web site. Just type "sober forever" into your search engine. One word of caution. This program was concieved by AA failures like myself. They share my feelings for that particular program.
I'm very happy with AA...It saved my life and changed it to boot...Maybe somebody that doesn't care for AA can try it....Maybe you should start a thread and see if people are interested. I think the more options out there the better...I just happen to like to see people free themselves from alcohol..However they do it....It makes me happy.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

For what it's worth...I was named after St. Jude...He's my second Higher Power...I have two.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

After reading these posts I can't help but think of Live And Let Live. Remember to treat people as they are sick and always to mind my own business.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

OP has not posted since the beginning of the thread. Is arguing going to solve anything?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Not arguing...Discussing options...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I have been on meds for depression and I have never brought it up to anyone at AA whatsoever. In fact once when I asked someone to sponsor me she right up front told me that if I took any kind of antidepressant whatsoever, she just couldn't sponsor me, so I told her thank you for your honesty, I will keep looking.

I guess I just don't put it out there cuz it is between my doctor and myself and while not currently taking anything, I have been over the years.

Lily
Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting in 1980something and sat in the back just taking it all in. I thought to myself back then that I didn't want or need the head surgery nor the manipulation that was goin on. I stayed sober for nearly 20 years and after a setback I am back on track starting today. There are those in the program that would not agree with me but I just don't need them.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Its good to see i am not alone in this one. My head is not there to respond atm
Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Innerchild, this is a big issue, people in AA who can't manage their own lives try to manage others.
Here is what a sharp, living-the-program AA member would do:

They see that people in the rooms are giving advice, or worst yet, telling others what they should be doing. They go to the next business meeting, address this issue thoroughly with the others. If the others are good, sharp members, they will look to the Traditions to solve this problem.
Which Traditions are we stepping on? Tradition 10, we take no opinion on outside issues, Tradition 5, our primary purpose is to carry to the message, and here's the big one, Tradition 1, is this issue causing disunity? "Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA unity."

Maybe doing this will would be very revealing. The group conscious can then address the group on this issue, or better yet, maybe conduct a group inventory moderated by an outside facilitator.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Oh do I relate to this, Innerchild. What I've found is that the old-timers tend to have this hard line and pass it on to sponsees. AA officially changed its view on meds when some members commit suicide, had breakdowns, etc. Sad that this attitude continues because dealing with the mental illness is an essential part of recovery. Many people became addicted because of mental illness and the struggle they experience in recovery is compounded when the cause of their turning to alcohol/drugs in the first place remains untreated. People encouraged me to postpone going on meds until I got through step 4 and I suffered needlessly. I'm bipolar and am now on medication and feeling stable for the first time.

I hope you find the support you need and deserve. AA is great and works for many people. But there are also other options for people who need something different.

Blessings,

Zorah
Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

You are correct Zorah...there are other options for people who need something different. I went to AA to recover from alcoholism....And I'm grateful for help old timers have extended to me.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
For example, at one meeting one woman walked up to me after the meeting and asked why I did not call myself an "alcoholic" I responded I dont label myself thats why. She told me I was in denial and I was an alcoholic.
yea, they can be a little pesky some of them.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
~sb

"People encouraged me to postpone going on meds until I got through step 4"
zorah, I hope they were willing to take you through the steps that moment.

There are a lot of things said, done, or not done that could seriously hurt another person, I'm sorry you went through this.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
BHF

Where as in AA, I feel all eyes are piercing through me with looks of displeasure plastered all over their faces because I am in "denial" Thats not the case, I refuse to label myself because I grew up with being labeled.

If you do want to attend AA, but you don't want to label yourself as an alcoholic, have you considered simply stating that you have a desire to stop drinking? That's the only requirement for membership. If members at your group don't respect that, I would suggest attending another location.