44.44%
Something else - post please!
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

First outing

Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
And lastly, remorse and sadness, because I feel that our friendship will not last long and knowing that it's me that changed it, I'm the one who stepped away from booze.
How can you feel sadness for that?....Are you going to miss all the joy and happiness it brought you? Carry on!....Go out and grab life by the horns!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
How can you feel sadness for that?....Are you going to miss all the joy and happiness it brought you? Carry on!....Go out and grab life by the horns!
Ah, I am feeling sadness for the loss of friendship, not because I stepped away from booze. Surely you can understand sadness for loss of friendship??

"And lastly, remorse and sadness, because I feel that our friendship will not last long and knowing that it's me that changed it, I'm the one who stepped away from booze.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Surely you can understand sadness for loss of friendship??
Not really...My drinking friends are doing the same things as when I drank with them...They don't miss me a bit....Funny thing though...Whenever I run into one of them....They start telling me how they have been cutting down...Like they are unsure of themselves and have to prove something to me. I have my own life to live. I guess if I feel sad at all...It's sadness for them....Not about missing them.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Not really...My drinking friends are doing the same things as when I drank with them...They don't miss me a bit....Funny thing though...Whenever I run into one of them....They start telling me how they have been cutting down...Like they are unsure of themselves and have to prove something to me. I have my own life to live. I guess if I feel sad at all...It's sadness for them....Not about missing them.
Hmm, I find it strange that you can't understand feeling sad about a loss of friendship. I didn't ask whether you can understand the loss of a drinking friendship, or an unhealthy friendship, or a short friendship, or a close friendship but just a friendship.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Never mind Sapling - I'm not into arguing today. I don't think my thoughts are reaching you correctly.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm not arguing with you...I'm very happy for you....I guess all the friends I had...Were drinking friends...That's pretty much all I ever did. Sad as that may sound....Every activity I did revolved around alcohol. It had it's hooks in me pretty good.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Lost - I can understand how you feel about your friend who knows your situation not making an extra effort to plan a non-drinking activity with you. Last year, one of my best friends quit drinking after she ended up in an emergency room with no recollection of how she got there. Even then, when I was still drinking, I made an effort to go to museums with her, not drink at dinner, get lunch etc. because I didn't want her to think our friendship was based on booze. I think maybe I was starting to feel like my own drinking was becoming a problem then, so I was able to empathize. Unfortunately, a lot of people didn't. It's hard not to be frustrated with them, but the reality is they either just don't get it, or just don't care. They want to party and that's their priority. But it is sad when friendships end, especially when you have to face the reality that they may have been based around something so empty.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I understand how sapling feels. All of my "friends" turned out to just be drinking pals too and none of them ever come around anymore.

i also understand where lost is coming from because I did lost a few real good friends as well but you have to remind yourself that this is for you. You are making yourself a better person, and while you may be sad now, you will make new friends in the future.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by MagnifiedStar View Post
Lost - I can understand how you feel about your friend who knows your situation not making an extra effort to plan a non-drinking activity with you. Last year, one of my best friends quit drinking after she ended up in an emergency room with no recollection of how she got there. Even then, when I was still drinking, I made an effort to go to museums with her, not drink at dinner, get lunch etc. because I didn't want her to think our friendship was based on booze. I think maybe I was starting to feel like my own drinking was becoming a problem then, so I was able to empathize. Unfortunately, a lot of people didn't. It's hard not to be frustrated with them, but the reality is they either just don't get it, or just don't care. They want to party and that's their priority. But it is sad when friendships end, especially when you have to face the reality that they may have been based around something so empty.
Thanks for that. A lot of your post is what I was trying to get across.

This is a friend I've known for years. We did lots of things together without drinking. But then we married off and had our own lives. Now she's divorced and seems to want to go out with other people and drink. Sometimes she doesn't do that - but then I'm not invited either. I'm not sure what to think.

I don't expect her to always keep me in mind and do non-drinking things, but I felt her initial invite was misleading because it talked about all these non-drinking options. Then when I asked her, it was, oh we are going to a bar. Well, gee thanks - why not just say that in the first place then??
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
I understand how sapling feels. All of my "friends" turned out to just be drinking pals too and none of them ever come around anymore.
Yeah, these ones I was fine with losing and I've never really looked back. The friend we are speaking about isn't one of those. Or at least I didn't think so. Maybe I just overestimated the friendship.

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
i also understand where lost is coming from because I did lost a few real good friends as well but you have to remind yourself that this is for you. You are making yourself a better person, and while you may be sad now, you will make new friends in the future.
I'm not sad any longer, just sad initially over the situation. I understand what's happening and am moving on.

Thanks Flyer.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I think perhaps your friend is dealing with her own inner demons surrounding alcohol. When others get sober, we look into ourselves perhaps?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I think perhaps your friend is dealing with her own inner demons surrounding alcohol. When others get sober, we look into ourselves perhaps?
I have to say I've wondered that myself.