Notices

Well.. I am not convinced now

Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes I'm not totally convinced with myself either, but I am definitely going to see a mental health professional next week to see if I can conquer my anxiety problem.

I will keep this post going and let you know what happens with me, maybe I will have to cut all alcohol forever, maybe not. But I do know either way that my drinking will have to be reduced to 1%-5% of what it was, there is no doubt in that. If I can do that I'll be fine. But the core issue needs to be sorted.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Wallo. I'm glad you plan to let us know how it goes. We care about you and want to be here for you if/when you need us in the future.

I wanted desperately to drink socially. There were a few times I managed to pull off a civilized night of drinking. Most of the time, I ended up back in the same dark place. Willpower was no match against my addiction. Please be careful.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I am just not convinced anymore that i'm an alcoholic, I can hold down a job easily, being a face to face customer service engineer.
Careful.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

yea, that alcohol is hard to figure out sometimes..
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was just watching something online from a Doctor. He said alcoholic is just a label and that we are all alcohol abusers.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Try this quick online questionnaire it may help you determine if you have trouble with alchohol.
Alcohol calculator - Health tools - NHS Choices
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Four pints of Guinness sounds an awful lot to me, especially on a Sunday night when you have to get up for work in the morning. Are you sure you'r not alcohol dependent. It's up to you but I know what I went through and I just don't want that life any more. Sobriety is utterly fantastic compared to the alternative.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
instant

Wallo
One or two sessions holding it together is not a fair test. We come in all shapes and sizes. There are many people who work and do well inspite of being active in their alcoholism. Many of them are highly paid.

I could keep it together for a long time (after a fashion) especially if I have to do so to "prove" I am not an alcoholic. Come back when the show is over and it's another storey.

See how it goes after a few months, reporting back in a week doesn't cut it. The "core issue" may be a propensity for craving, which in my experience is progressive.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

1. You are posting on a recovery website.
2. You are not sure if you have a drinking problem.
3. See the two above.

Ill take alcoholic for $200 Alex....
Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wallo, be sure to come back here if you were wrong. Personally, I can drink in moderation, but I don't really enjoy it, I prefer to get a buzz. That said, 4 pints is about 2.5 liters of beer, 5 large cans, I would be quite content after that on a Sunday night, that's why I'm still here trying to understand what's going on in my brain.
You're in Ireland, the pubs close early(ish) on a Sunday, and you were out "testing yourself" only days after posting on a recovery forum.
I think a more effective test would be not drinking for 90 days and see how you feel. Most people can do that no problem, the ones who find it difficult are here.

(just an edit: Just because I said I can drink in moderation, doesn't imply that I always do, or that alcohol isn't a negative part of my life)
Old 01-23-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I had varying opinions from the professionals, being a 'dual diagnosis' - some mental health issues, depression and anxiety, as well as an alcohol problem. My end conclusion was that the alcohol had to go completely. I'm glad that you're addressing the anxiety and self confidence issues. But just my own experience, hope you find the right outcome for yourself.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Good luck to you! If you are an alcoholic you'll know soon enough because everything will continue to get worse. If you're not an alcoholic, well that's awesome! None of us want to be alcoholics, though fortunately i'm perfectly ok with it now.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Not too sure Most people could go 90 days without a drink, Most don't try because they are convinced they just drink for pleasure enjoyment, think a very high percentage would feel some kind of cravings if they were to try 90 days abstinence , well in the uk anyway
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This is a weird way to put it, but what's even the point of drinking in moderation? I know when I had some control (or so I thought) it kept building because the moderate buzz got familiar and boring eventually. Then I started over doing it, which I'm sure you know is a horrible idea for a million reasons.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

One of the simple ways i came to the acceptance of my alcoholism was through attempts at moderation. Never mind that i failed miserably at moderation but one day i had an "AHA!" moment when i realized that i don't want to drink in moderation. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I want to get loaded. Knowing that made it much easier to accept the reality of my situation and recovery then became appealing.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
One of the simple ways i came to the acceptance of my alcoholism was through attempts at moderation. Never mind that i failed miserably at moderation but one day i had an "AHA!" moment when i realized that i don't want to drink in moderation. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I want to get loaded. Knowing that made it much easier to accept the reality of my situation and recovery then became appealing.
Me exactly August. What's the point of one or two? That just makes me want more and more. If I have to make myself drink in moderation, then I don't want any at all. So much easier that way.

God bless.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Personally I don't think 6-8 beers in an evening is considered "moderating". Check out moderation and harm reduction sites to see how they define moderation. I'm pretty sure it's a lot less than that.

Abstinence is my preference. I wouldn't drink now, even if I could do so safely.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
My apologies...the OP did not reference 6-8 beers. This was meant for a different thread. Ignore me and carry on LOL
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

LOL, well my brand of moderation consisted of three fifths a week instead of five.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ok so today I took a trip to Dublin with my father as I have to go back to university for 4 weeks before I go back to Australia.
After having a few pints and a pint of water last night - today I feel fine. I had no anxiety at all and I don't feel like having a drink, however I do have a non-alco beer in my hand as I type LOL and its nice Becks 0% actually tastes ok.

So now no alcohol for me until next Saturday when I am going to my friends 30th birthday. I will probably have 5-6 pints and a pint or 2 of water in between and see how i feel the next day. I have made a plan of how I am going to live my life now and that includes keeping fit, maybe 3 days a week of either/or sports, jogging or the gym. Its amazing how a good 30-40 minute run makes you feel.

I think my major problem in the past was mixing my drinks - beer wine and whiskey all in the same night then BANG I can remember and I hear storied the next day.

I need to know my limits and I think I do now. No whiskey/spirits for me ever again. If I have a glass or two of wine the I will not have beer....NO MIXING

You might think i am being stupid but i like having a couple of drinks with friends....I just dont like getting completely wasted, like I have done many times in the past.