Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Continuing Care - After Treatment - Not Getting A THING From It

Notices

Continuing Care - After Treatment - Not Getting A THING From It

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What a terrible counselor.

Maybe you need some distance from the whole treatment thing for a little bit. It did wonders for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Also, last week I was chastised for not being able to state that I have a higher power. The counselor is a huge believer in AA and pushes her beliefs that if we aren't doing AA and not accepting a higher power then we aren't going to make it. AND she seems to write us off at that point and engages only with those who think like she does.

i'd stop attending at that point and let the higher ups know just why i stopped. i hate dogma and don't think much of those who try to shove their beliefs down my throat.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you taken personal responsibility and talked with the counselors about your view that what you are/aren't getting from the sessions? That what was presented is not what is being given? How can you be proactive in this situation? Are you doing as much or more for your recovery as you did in your active addiction/alcoholism?

What are you doing to get the most out of this? Yes, early recovery is difficult, yet you can make this better for you. Try more meetings, find a Spiritual Advisor who works the steps daily who will guide you through the steps or keep complaining passively. It's your choice!

You can stay stopped!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Have you taken personal responsibility and talked with the counselors about your view that what you are/aren't getting from the sessions? That what was presented is not what is being given? How can you be proactive in this situation? Are you doing as much or more for your recovery as you did in your active addiction/alcoholism?

What are you doing to get the most out of this? Yes, early recovery is difficult, yet you can make this better for you. Try more meetings, find a Spiritual Advisor who works the steps daily who will guide you through the steps or keep complaining passively. It's your choice!

You can stay stopped!
haven't discussed it with the counselor. YET. My friend and I plan to bring it up, though.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My only issue with AA is that on the one hand I'm told that you have to have an open mind (which I do)and that you only need a willingness to stop drinking (which I do) but then when I go and I'm honest about my relapse it's almost as if I'm shunned. Also, I've witnessed this with others who have shared a relapse. AND not only that I've heard people talk to eachother after meetings about - this person can't stay sober and this person is in rehab - all shaking their heads as if the person is already dead. I don't get a good vibe when I hear all this talk about other people who aren't even in the room. It makes me feel unsafe and as if there is a lot of judgement being passed.

I am one too who doesn't appreciate having the higher power theory shoved down my throat.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
I don't necessarily have issues per se, but if anyone does we're used to airing them out in our small group setting. We still have the small group setting but we aren't given time to share.
If these are people you get along with and trust (this is key), you could go to a coffee shop together afterwards and just talk. If the treatment center is holding anything over your head, like a license contingent on compliance, you might want to be careful about making waves.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
i'd stop attending at that point and let the higher ups know just why i stopped. i hate dogma and don't think much of those who try to shove their beliefs down my throat.
I feel the same way and NOTHING will turn me off more.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
If these are people you get along with and trust (this is key), you could go to a coffee shop together afterwards and just talk. If the treatment center is holding anything over your head, like a license contingent on compliance, you might want to be careful about making waves.
My friend and I are mulling over starting our own AA group. As for the treatment center, there are no Catch-22s. Thank goodness.