Notices

I really need help!

Old 11-19-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really need help!

I'm a 43 year old male and have been drinking since I was 18 years old with the exception of 5 years of sobriety and then once again, 2 years of sobriety. My drinking has gotten progressively worse, no surprise there! I was actually looking for another website that I use to be a member of but can't remember the name of it but it had the word "Warrior" in it. Anyone heard of it? I stumbled upon this website but it looks like it has almost the same layout as the other one. I know I should go to AA but that never really helped me in the past. I'm not sure what to do at this point and I don't want to drink tonight. Any suggestions on what to do for tonight? Thank you for any help you can offer.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I'm not sure about the website you are looking for, but I'm glad that you found us.

I know I should go to AA but that never really helped me in the past.
Well by all means, if it didn't work for you then don't go. There are no should's or should not's here, if something doesn't work then try something else. The only caveat I would add is that you may want to consider if you really gave it a fair shake when you've tried it out in the past. If not then you may want to revisit it.

As far as tonight goes, I would recommend spending some time on the forums here. Read about people's quitting stories (i'll see if I can find a link to one good thread) and you will probably find a lot that sounds familiar. I'm not sure about you, but in my experience, hearing the stories of others is a great way to break my romantic viewpoint of alcohol.

Check out our chat room, there's always people in there.

There's also a thread around here that has suggestions for things to do, I'll see if I can find that one too.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Here are the threads I was talking about:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 11-19-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JustLiving

I found reading and posting here really helped me through some tough times - really plug yourself in here - you'll find a lot of advice support and encouragement.

Here's some links to some of the main recovery players too (including AA): you might find something that sounds ok to you in here -

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

If you really need help, don't stop looking til you find it JL

D
Old 11-19-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm struggling with wanting to go back to AA after being out- I actually went to treatment and the outpatient program I did while being back to work and living a somewhat regular life was really good for me. It was 8 weeks and I got the support and help I definitely needed. The one I went to is pro AA but there were other aspects and professional counseling that was kind of a missing link with AA alone. I think I'll go back, I have found that the same information can mean different things to me at different stages of life, and I do need support in my life. Now if I could just WANT to go back...
Old 11-19-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much! I will look at those threads and I'm glad I found this place too!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbearw View Post
Now if I could just WANT to go back...
I know that feeling all too well! When I quit my first time for 5 years, I did it on my own with the help of God. The second time I quit for 2 years and I was going to AA at the time but I still don't think that helped me much. I know I was sober for 2 years but still don't feel AA helped and if it did, it wasn't much but I know different things work for different people too.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family from a fellow Buckeye.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Just Living,

This forum is definitely a big part of my recovery program. It is really a lifeline for me. I hope you find it as invaluable as I have.

All the best on your recovery
CaiHong
Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I made it through Day 1 with flying colors! Now onto Day 2 and looking forward to taking on whatever may come my way.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Getting sober is tough, but it's the staying sober that is the true art!

Welcome, good luck and best wishes!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you both!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi-
You might want to check out the Secular Connections Forum. Different ideas that are not AA based.

Welcome and best of luck to you!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Justliving,

Welcome to SR!!! This forum is helping me save myself....I love this place! Good luck to you.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome JustLiving,
Keep on reading, and learning! this forum has been a blessing to me. I screwed up after 8 years of sobriety....I drank like a champion for 3 foggy, depressing years, then found SR. I am on lucky day 13. Happier than I have been in a long time. So much good, postive advice and support here. I too tried AA, but it just wasn't for me. This is a one day at a time journey, and glad you are on board. Welcome to a new chance at life. Hugs.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on a complete day 1, well done!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustLiving View Post
I made it through Day 1 with flying colors! Now onto Day 2 and looking forward to taking on whatever may come my way.
Congratulations on Day 1 Justliving and welcome! I'm on Day 4 myself and could not have gotten there without all the wonderful, compassionate and understanding people here. I hit rock bottom last week and was just surfing the net for I don't even know what but I found this place and the folks here saved my life,.. Literally! What helped me the most was reading through all the other posts and discovering just how many people were just like me, going and doing the same things. Now, I could not imagine going a day without coming here and either reading more or posting myself.

So just want to say Welcome and congrats on Day 1
Hang in there and stay strong!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Justliving, from one 43 year old male to another, this is hard but it is doable, like Dee said plug in here everyday, I am 9 months sober today and have read on this site everyone of those 273 days.

I look forward to reading about your progress!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome JustLiving!