Notices

Today is day one for me

Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good luck Costadelmar. It's hard. I hope you are home and feeling okay.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobernan View Post
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”Lao Tzu

I love that line , it sums up the reasons I have stopped drinking .
I was loosing 5 hours a day doing nothing but get drunk while looking at the telly . Not much fun for my sober partner .
Its day 4 now and I will never have another drink . I have too many things to do !
Thanks all , I'll be a regular here .
Sobernan
Day 4 for me as well Soberman and what a great quote I may have to borrow that one.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So yes day 4 avoided the Tavern went straight home. This is shaping up to be much more of a mental battle than a physical one. After so many years of drinking (started at 15, started drinking heavy on weekends at 20 then almost daily around the age of 35 I'll be 39 on Saturday) I really expected the physical withdrawal symptoms to be much more intense. Yes I have anxiety but that seems to be subsiding with each day. Now I feel as though my mind is trying to trick me. I literally find that I'm having conversations with myself like see it's not so bad you don't have hardly any of the physical withdrawal symptoms of a severe alcoholic...I'm very aware that this is a very conversation to have with myself because I just need look at the terrible mistakes and foolish things I've done. I have to keep reminding myself that's it's not okay. I tell myself 'Fine then if it's not a big deal then it should be no problem to go without drinking for as long as I want'....That usually shut me up. lol
Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support and useful information here.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Today is my Day one as well for some reason i am more scared now than ever in my life
Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SaVeMe81 View Post
Today is my Day one as well for some reason i am more scared now than ever in my life
I made it through day one on day 4 now. I was also very scared...still am but I think it's good because I don't not want to be scared if I wasn't then why would I be making this important change in my life. Hang onto that fear until you can manage your addiction that's how I'm approaching it...I want to be scared because it feels so real and reminds me of why it's so important to stop drinking.

Hope this helps
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 5 Still Alive

Feeling so confident so clear and so happy I didn't think it was possible. Now I'm not naive and they say it's one day at a time but it's not it can be hours or even minutes. That's why I relish in the times where I feel fantastic and the times that I feel down or anxious or like I don't know if I can continue...I take those times to reaffirm that I'm making the best decision of my life. The bad times or withdrawals or thinking about drinking have become good motivators for me not that it makes them any easier but it's a nice reminder that helps me push through. Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Costadelmar, everyone who has been in your situation of early recovery knows about this incredible euphoria, these feelings of relief and optimism and achievement. Well done!

It sounds trite and hackneyed, but it gets even better if you can believe it. Stay the course, we're all pulling for you.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today is my first post and about my tenth try at getting and staying sober. I had two sober years around 1998 but have not managed more than three months sober since. Since retirement last year, my drinking has increased. Sometimes starting as early as 10am and passing out for an hour or two in the afternoon. I realize this road is going no where for me and I am losing the person I used to be. I have never tried honestly sharing my drinking experiences before, except a short time in AA. I hope keeping myself honest and in contact with this support system will make this time a successful recovery for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I just hit day 3, I feel great! What a difference a few days being sober and getting good rest can do! I can actually look at things in a more optimistic light. I have been using a vitamin B6 supplement for the anxiety, and it tones it down pretty well, but not completely. anyway, I just wanted to say I am right there with you with the mental battle though. Congrats on day 4.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

way to go!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Costa - I too am on day 4 and our stories seem very similar with the ages we began drinking and the work related aspect. I personally use alcohol for 2 reasons. coping with personal issues over the last several years and #2 is that I am much more social when networking with co-workers and potential clients. I have found this site VERY helpful in getting through today (My fridays typically involve liquid lunches, happy hours and "socializing" for "business reasons"). I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully we can celebrate our mutual day 5, 6, 7, 8, 30, 60, 90...........together online!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day Seven I'm in Heaven

So for my birthday weekend I placed myself right into the line of fire. Two Halloween and I didn't falter. I know I can never drink and you know what I had so much fun, my friends that were drinking were soo funny but they reminded me of what I no longer want to be. I enjoyed talking with them though i their drunken states and they had me laughing so hard. Club soda with a lime is free...Who knew? Great birthday weekend and I was so proud of myself I'm soo looking forward to the rest of my life!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

Good for you! One week sober is a great start to a better life.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good luck on your decision That's the hardest part.

Have you seen a doctor? Sudden abstinence can be extremely dangerous. The other good thing about seeing a doctor (than the obvious) is that you are admitting to someone else that you have a problem and need their help.

You should seriously consider getting help though.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A Happy Birthday to you, CostadelMar. I have a feeling there will be many many more. Well done.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy birthday and congratulations on your week

D
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeff63 View Post
Good luck on your decision That's the hardest part.

Have you seen a doctor? Sudden abstinence can be extremely dangerous. The other good thing about seeing a doctor (than the obvious) is that you are admitting to someone else that you have a problem and need their help.

You should seriously consider getting help though.
Jeff,

I was initially really concerned about that (the sudden abstinence) but after a week I haven't noticed anything should I be concerned after almost 8 days without a drink? My step-mom is a registered psychiatric nurse she was the first of many that I have finally admitted to that I have an addiction. She knew and was relieved I finally admitted it for myself. That was the one thing I never did in the past was actually admit to anyone that I had a problem. It felt so final like if I admitted it I could never drink again, well now it feels like a giant weight has been lifted because my family and close friends are very aware after I admitted to them that I have a problem. I found that I can now face my addiction head on and instead of being judged I've found soo much support from those I care about.

Also, I have my first meeting with an addiction therapists tomorrow night I guess we will discuss abstinence and it's effects after drinking so heavy for so many years. What I've been reading though is that it is different for everyone. We'll see but thanks for pointing that out
Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day 10 Still going strong. I had a great conversation with an old high school buddy, he's been sober for over 6 years so I've adopted him as my sponsor. Apparently we have a mutual friend who he says we both know very well that has done the some. Unfortunately for our friend he seems to call my sober friend during a relapse which frustrates him. I get it there should be no relapse you either have the commitment and conviction or you don't. I assured my friend I would check in with him from time to time and would call him as a last resort if I ever found myself faltering but never after I faltered because for me there that is not an option. The physical withdrawal symptoms have all but subsided there is anxiety yes but it's almost all mental now. I remain as committed and convicted as ever I constantly remind myself of the better life I have in store for myself. I guess the biggest thing I realized though is by not drinking I'm not missing ANYTHING. I always put quitting drinking off until the next fun event but I realized I've had enough alcohol to last 3 lifetimes so I've been there seen it done it and I'll by the t-shirt myself lol. There's nothing I worry about missing out on anymore and I love the fact that I'll be able to remember the good times for once. That's all I have for today thanks for reading as always your support feedback and advice are always welcomed.

Costa
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
MINEr

Originally Posted by Costadelmar View Post
I guess the biggest thing I realized though is by not drinking I'm not missing ANYTHING.
Drunk or sober, life goes on. Congrats on the ten days, keep coming back!!!