Notices

What's a hangover like for you?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hangovers for me have always been death. Disgusting taste in my mouth, and I cant get out of bed to remedy the problem. Head is pounding, and I cant eat, sleep. I am not even sure how I was managing to breath. My memory was selective with events of the previous night. It was down right HORRIBLE. This lasted about 2 to 3 days.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

My hangovers? No matter how little I would drink I would wake up early in the morning with this really strange sickly/guilty feeling in my stomach. The more I drank the worse it was. It was the most terrible feeling in the world. I don't know if that feeling was unique to me. Probably not.

Now that I'm sober I love waking up early in the morning. It's a wonderful time of the day.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Worst headache in the world, funny I don't think I've had a headache since I quit drinking. No energy- damn waste of a day, bad breath, unquenchable thirst, scary panic attacks - (thinking I was in hell, I look back and wonder why would I put myself through that- so scary what the mind goes through in those moments). Tinnitus in my left ear, THAT drove me nuts too.

Funny but sometimes now I will wake up and I will have a split second thought that I am hungover (only because my body hurts from my previous days work-out) and I think no, I'm not hungover lol, good grief, great sense of relief comes over me. phew. So glad knowing I will not have to go through that hell again.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Grateful

My hangovers weren't that bad towards the end because I started the day with an Ativan and a beer. That was breakfast.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

"Extremely achy body"

Oh thank God! I thought that I was already getting old.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

NAUSEA HELL!!!!!!! I do not EVER want to feel that sick again.. I would wake up so sick to my stomach that I couldn't even walk to the bathroom- I kept a "puke bucket" bedside on those days.. damn that is so sad when I think back on it.. my organs hurt, body always felt
"ravaged"- I am so blown away when I think of how light, energetic, & healthy I feel.. probably because I had forgoten what that misery was like... Also, another tidbit, my bloodpressure used to be SCARY high.. now I'm almost 75 pts down. Givin up the booze just tends to cause other healthy habits to develop too.. Feeling healthy & alive is Heaven compared to hangover Hell.. You are one smart lady to have posted this thread- I like it-
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

headache
heart palpations
Extremely tired
Bloodshot eyes
Hungry (for greasy food)
Unable to eat when I got it.
Paranoid
Anxiety.
Zero motivation.
Guilt.
Felling like ive been wasting my life.
Oh and unable to sleep properly for at least two to three days.

Makes you wonder why I didn't stop at the first hangover huh!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I didn't get hang-overs on weekends because I would make sure to leave a quarter of the bottle for Saturday morning. That would get me to late morning or lunch. Then I would get another bottle and drink that casually through Saturday and make sure the bottle was empty. I would begin to feel the withdrawal on Sunday morning. I would have to wait until noon because that is when the state stores open on Sunday. However, I would back it off to a pint to get through the day. And then I would say "oh @#$%" Monday morning is going to suck.

Monday would come and my whole day would be a struggle e.g. hands shaking, face swelled, confusion, anxiety, paranoia and avoiding co-workers.

By Monday evening, I'd start to feel better and grab a pint on the way home. Pints from Monday through Thursday. And I would start the whole cycle again on Friday.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

8 or 9 years ago, My father in-law saw that I was really hung-over one day. He said "bite the dog the bit you". I don't think he realized that instead "dog" and I would be inseparable for many, many years.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Great thread - I had my first panic attack as a result of my hangover. Never want to go through something like that ever again. I thought I had lost my mind and would never get it back. Afraid to talk, felt like I was going to fall down even when I was sitting. Then there was the toxic waste coming out of both ends...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

My hang overs were a nightmare. I would binge drink for days then when it was all over I couldn't get out of bed for days. i felt like I'd been hit by a truck. The worst stomach pains and the head aches were torture. Plus all the guilt I felt when I would hear about what I had done while drunk were just to much to handle. It would take me a good week to start feeling good again. Then I'd forget about how bad I felt hung over and do it all over again. I'm not missing feeling like that at all.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I also had my first panic attack when being hungover. That was in 2004. I thought I was going insane and/or dying. Yet I continued to binge drink for another 9 years and suffered many more panic attacks as a result. Every time I drank I would spend the entire day after in bed and in the bathroom... Sometimes on the bathroom floor. The psychological and physical effects of drinking only got worse. I always felt as if my heart was coming out of my chest.

My worst hangover was when I woke up in a hospital bed with no memory of what had happened the night before. I thought that was when I hit rock bottom. It wasn't. It is scary how much we are capable to suppress in order to allow ourselves to drink. Ten years ago I couldn't have imagined I would have continued drinking after getting a blackout while on a flight, not even remembering how I got through customs and back home. It took me a year to get here from that point.

The worst were the feelings of guilt and shame. I still struggle with those.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Most the things people are describing about anxiety and paranoia, but one thing I got I haven't seen mentioned is after a binge a would taper all the time saying never again.... But the last few times when I lay down to sleep it'd feel like my heart stopped and I was forgetting to breath. high anxiety and sweats but no strong pulse and big gulps of air when I'd realise I'd not taken a breath. I would stay awake for days too scared to sleep and on the last binge I just lay awake with a note on my phone of how sorry I was incase I died over night.

Never again.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Recovering

I used to feel low and lethargic the whole of the next day (which was almost every day). What really irritated me was that it spoiled my enjoyment of my evening beers because I was feeling drained. Now this is crazy, but sometimes I would not drink for a couple of days just so that I could enjoy getting drunk more.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I still notice that I don't feel the need to crash my head to my desk about 2.30pm. Remember that exhaustion? It had been so hard to get up in the morning, the headache might have staved off only to hit like a sledgehammer about 11am and you'd just want to crawl home.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

WAS usually two wasted days of nothing but sleep, turn off phones, barely eat,
Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

In the beginning I could function well with a hangover infact it was a right of passage made me feel like a man I was 18 and all grown up. Fast forward ten years and numerous accidents, fights, scars legal problems, police cells and my hangovers where a totally differant animal, they included complete mental anguish, some times I would feel like my skin was on fire and I would just want to jump right out of it, anxiety to the max breathing problems (hyperventilating),not being able to eat properly feeling like I was going to choke as my throat was so tight and having mini panick attacks whilst trying to swallow, I would also get hypoglycaemic feeling if I did not get sugar I would faint or die. Guilt and paranoia depending on if I blacked out and where I had been. Lol just writing is unbelievable what I put myself through.. Iam glad I don't ever have to feel that way again. Thank god
Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

What's a hangover like for you?

never really suffered with them much
this was not a blessing for me
more like a curse
Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Right now a hangover is something from a past life.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Well, for me it's a past memory -- thank goodness!

But ... what they WERE like was a headache from Hell, frequently accompanied by nausea and not being 100% aware of what was going on around me. My energy during a hangover was for **** and it's only been recently that I've begin to regain some of my former stamina. Even while recovering, my energy would usually collapse after 2/3s of the day was through and I'd have to push myself the rest of the way. I guess I really screwed myself good with drinking.

After a few years of serious heavy drinking I had to limit myself to just a few well-chosen alcoholic beverages because others would give me hangovers that were even MORE unbearable than the above. Tequila, for example, made me wish I could just shoot myself in the head. The pain was mindblowing.