Notices

Feeling Like A Failure

Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Unhappy Feeling Like A Failure

I just confessed to my mom that I can't live alone and asked if I could go back home for a while because I can't do this alone. I feel like such a loser and but I don't know what to do. I'm 27 years old and am going home to live with my parents and I have no job because just stopped going and I just can't do this anymore alone. It's like I'll kill myself if I stay here much longer. It makes me sick and to call my mom and confess that was so hard but I want to be better I do.

Just need prayers now...lots and lots of prayers.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi fallingwater! There is no shame in admitting you need help. I admire you for making the best choice for your well being. Today is a new day...you can turn your life around. Sending prayers your way.

:ghug3

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Best of luck to your in your new situation. Do what it takes to stay sober, if that means moving home- so be it.

You're not a failure. You just have a problem, a problem that can be solved. Good luck, and best to you.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good job! You don't have to feel shame, you should feel victorious. You admitted that you need help. Just like admitting that you are an alcoholic, there is no shame in that -- you are just admitting what is already true.

I'm 26 and moved back into my parents house after I went through treatment 5 months ago. Sure, it isn't super glamorous, but I haven't drank one drop since then. The way that I look at it is that I am making a sacrifice to ensure that I stay sober, which is a noble cause.

Best wishes to you
Old 09-21-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

thanks josh. That actually makes me feel so much better. I am a 27 year old female and have just hit rock bottom and feel like I can't do it anymore. It's horrible and I don't want to be this way anymore. So hearing that you did it makes it seem a little easier now.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Someone much wiser than me once told me that I was only a failure if I failed to try and to keep trying. I've always found that to be very good advice.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you Fallingwater! We're all behind you!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I just confessed to my mom that I can't live alone and asked if I could go back home for a while because I can't do this alone. I feel like such a loser and but I don't know what to do. I'm 27 years old and am going home to live with my parents and I have no job because just stopped going and I just can't do this anymore alone. It's like I'll kill myself if I stay here much longer. It makes me sick and to call my mom and confess that was so hard but I want to be better I do.

Just need prayers now...lots and lots of prayers.
I moved back home last year and it was the best thing I did. It's difficult though ceding independence. Not as difficult in the long run as ceding your sanity through boozeamahol.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

You're not alone! Quite a few people here have had to move back with family. It takes what it takes. Use the support to free up your resources to recover.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

fallingwater - Please stop seeing this as defeat. You're winning over alcohol by getting this all out in the open. It feels so good not to hide it anymore. I didn't reach that point until I was twice your age. You're doing great compared to me, and many others, who waited until middle age to take action.

I kept insisting I could control & moderate - anything to hold on to the belief that it could be fun again. I almost lost my life proving one drink led to 20 - and in the end I drank 'round the clock. Not you, fallingwater - you're going to have a whole new life. We're proud of you.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you, fallingwater. It's very hard to do these things, but just keep reminding yourself that it is for the best. Many things in life aren't permanent, but family is (or at least should) always be there for you.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck Fallingwater!

Sending prayers your way. Also, I really like what Hevyn said: Don't look at this as a defeat!

You are on a path - the wrong path, backtracking a bit to take the right path is still progress towards that right path! Take heart and be strong, we are all pulling for you!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've assessed your situation and you've reached out for help - that's a smart response as far as I can see FW

I had to move back in with my folks for a while around your age too

D
Old 09-21-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is no shame in going home in my opinion. It's probably a safe environment, and it gives you a chance for a "do-over" in life. A lot of people don't get that opportunity, make the most of it.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only shame would be in not doing anything to get better. Welcome to the family.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fallingwater,

I can't see the shame in living at home, a lot more you people are doing it willingly these days. Do you have a good relationship with your Mum?

Focus on staying sober that is all that sounts at the moment the good stuff will follow.

I am listening to this website and I am finding it very helpful. I hope you do as well.

Relapse Prevention Addiction Recovery

All the best
CaiHong
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keep On Keeping On

Thank you for that site. It looks very interesting. I am hoping thinks work out well and I am trying to be more optimistic but it hurts right now. I do have a good relationship with my parents so it should be ok I pray.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Fallinheater,
You are SO not a failure! I also admire you for coming clean to your family and asking for help! It takes GUTS to reach out!
Keep in touch with us and hang in there!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sobriety is our #1 priority here at SR. It's not called DrunkRecovery.com LOL. So #1 means #1. Without sobriety, we have nothing. With sobriety, we can have anything. Do what it takes.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((FallingWater))) - I'll be 50 in a few days and am living at home, as I didn't hit bottom until 4-1/2 years ago, so don't feel bad. I don't plan on being here forever, but gotta do what I gotta do (am back in school), to get where I want to be.

Lots of hugs and prayers,

Amy