Notices

Sobriety; you win.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety; you win.

I always worried about my drinking. At least, I always worried about my drinking until I walked into the nearest bottle shop after work.

After my fiance and I seperated I moved away and had to start again, my drinking got worse. For almost 2 years I was drinking up to 4 litres of wine a night, every night!..
I was depressed, I couldn't sleep unless I was blind drunk, my anxiety was through the roof, I was angry and lonely, vomiting blood regularly and steadily losing feeling in my fingertips.

Absolutely miserable.

On March 18th I turned my phone off, laid in bed and drank wine for a week straight without eating anything or talking to anybody. On March 15th I was rushed into ICU where I spent 11 days with acute Pancreatitis. I almost died. My body was telling me it'd had enough.

In my head I was hoping I'd never be able to drink again, at 29yrs old I was done. That day I was told I could never drink again. Hurrah!!

It's been nearly 6 months since then and I haven't had a sip of alcohol. My anxiety is gone, I sleep like a baby every night and my depression is no more. I have lost almost 10 Kilos (22lbs) and am the fittest and most confident I've been in 10 years.

And the money I have saved is paying for a 10 week holiday in SE Asia.

I joined this forum so I could hopefully help encourage people to give it up before it's too late, to try and do my bit where I can. In some way, redeem myself for my mistakes. And to learn from others.

My name is Ben, and it's a pleasure to meet you all.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! Congrats on your sober time.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good on you Sidestep,

Are you following any program or did the doctor's scare the hell out of you and it's keeping you off the grog?

CaiHong
Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi CaiHong. The doctor did a pretty good job of scaring me, and it really was what I needed. Besides seeing a councelor for about a month I've done the rest on my own. It's been like learning to walk again.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

It sounds like were lucky to live. welcome Ben.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Instant. Comforting to see a fellow Aussie on here.

I just noticed I muddled the dates up on my OP, but you get the picture.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't speak for all here but I think most of us follow a program to keep sober. I listen to this On-Demand RecoveryTV Addiction Recovery Resources

I can't get to AA meetings but I have a sponsor, I read and post on this forum which is a real lifeline. I need these things to keep me sober.
Today I felt like a drink, I was working, felt really good, in control on top of things and then out of the blue, I thought, "a drink would be nice now".
Followed that thought and it ended up with me thinking Oh god no, here we go again. I really don't want to go there. So I didn't pick up but felt really agitated for a couple of hours afterwards.
I felt really crabby, I was invited to a BBQ, but to be honest the only way I would want to go is if I drank or there was a garden full of recovered alcoholics to talk to.

What keeps you sober? Tell us more about your "life after drinking". I find it so informative reading about how others cope with sobriety.

CaiHong
Old 09-11-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Ben! Your story really hits the spot for me. I'm at 4 months today, and I look forward to no anxiety and depression. People should know that at some point, alcohol has reverse effects from when we started to drink.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

CaiHong,

Right now I work as much as I can, 7 days a week generally, I'm saving to travel and it gives me a goal to aim towards.
I have had to cut off contact with most of my friends (I'm honest with them so they understand) and stay away from pubs. And I'm avoiding women until I know I'm more stable. Which means when I'm not working I'm usually alone. Not particularly sustainable for a healthy future but it seems to be working for the moment. Part of the reason for travelling is to meet new people.

But the biggest thing is being self aware, I know if I have even 1 drink, it will end in tears and I'll go back to my old ways.

And Pancreatitis hurts. Alot! Pain's a good incentive.

Lovingit: Drinking also destroyed my libido, which thankfully is slowly returning. 4 months is good, keep it up my friend.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, Sidestep. There are many here whose sole purpose is to continually remind themselves why they got sober in the first place, to share their success stories, and to help others. Welcome to that team.

How do you deal with that voice that pops up in the back of your mind once in a while, that says, "Psssst. Buddy. Over here. I think you deserve a beer," ?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Ben. You are an inspiration to us...especially to the young folks here.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Freshstart,

Whenever I get that voice in my head I think back to those nights I would stare at myself in the mirror in tears, begging myself to stop drinking. Or laying in Intensive Care, having nightmares from all the Morphine I had to take to numb the pain.

Just try thinking of what could happen if I have "just one beer".

I know it all sounds a bit dramatic, but scaring myself is what seems to work.

How about you? What works for you?

Thanks Coco, I appreciate it mate.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome ben!!!!!!!!!!!:
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome, sidestep! My last drunk was a week long, too! You can stay stopped, one day at a time. 117 days in a row for me. If I can do it, so can you. I drankfor over 30 years....

Keep coming back
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for your story Ben.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

:day1

Sobriety wins is a good positive way to start the day for new and old timers of SR. Congrats on your recovery.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Ben and thanks for the inspirational story! "Passing it on" is a great way to stay motivated in recovery. Glad you've joined us!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ben
Nice to see another Aussie

Congratulations on your 6 months - and welcome to SR

D