Notices

Friday issue

Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Fridays are hard for me, too (most days of the week are hard for me, especially early, but Fridays and Saturdays are the worst)...I'm glad you posted this because I have a hard time trying to fill my evenings with other stuff and not feeling lonely, etc. I've been consistently - by consistently, I mean daily or nearly daily - drinking/using drugs (with one period of about 11 months of sobriety a little over a year ago and other month-long sober runs sprinkled throughout) since I was about 18 - I started using at 12 - and I'm 26 now...so it's been awhile and I barely remember how to act like a "regular person!" It's nice to hear all these suggestions for doing sober stuff on Friday nights.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by defyinggravity View Post
Fridays are hard for me, too (most days of the week are hard for me, especially early, but Fridays and Saturdays are the worst)...I'm glad you posted this because I have a hard time trying to fill my evenings with other stuff and not feeling lonely, etc. I've been consistently - by consistently, I mean daily or nearly daily - drinking/using drugs (with one period of about 11 months of sobriety a little over a year ago and other month-long sober runs sprinkled throughout) since I was about 18 - I started using at 12 - and I'm 26 now...so it's been awhile and I barely remember how to act like a "regular person!" It's nice to hear all these suggestions for doing sober stuff on Friday nights.
Yes, I think it's good to just do something different for a change, planning ahead. Just shake things up and break the bad habit til it's nothing but a dream.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by SunshineSally View Post
Thank you, Josh, I've never heard of CR but will see if it's in my area. I'll keep that resource handy in case I think I need it. Grateful for all the blessings. God bless you and everyone here.
Sal
Thank you, and God bless you too.

If you need more info or have questions about CR feel free to PM me.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just bumping up this thread to make sure all are doing well, especially Bethany, my prayer partner. Let's get ready to race through the weekend without any bumps!
Sal
Old 09-14-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello, Sunshine.

Praying was crucial for me. I quit drinking 5 months ago, after 20 years or more. Praying morning and night was very useful for me. Don't be afraid of cravings, they go away soon. Each time you overcome a craving, your addiction lose strength. In only some weeks, cravings will be less strong and less frequent. I was somewhat surprised, because I found that quitting drinking was not so difficult.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Sally! I'm in the same situation. My trigger is night time, but Fridays/Saturdays definitely bump up the cravings to an 11. Best wishes to you this Friday. I know you can do it! If you feel the urge to drink, come post with us instead.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes Sally...your prayer partner is here and thinking of you. The weekend is almost here. Lets stay strong. I like the suggestion of doing something different. I am trying to think of something different to do for Saturday night. Saturday is my difficult time (unlike most my weekend starts Sat night). This forum is a tremendous strength for me.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. In my experience, success in sobriety is always a result of good planning, so I think you guys have the right idea in mind.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Sally
Friday's were the last thing I kept tripping over myself on. I always felt that Fridays had to be special. In the end I got to a place where Friday were mixed with excitement and fear/foreboding that built up into the evening. In then got to place where I worked out it was OK for Friday to be "ordinary" and that ordinary could be very special. When it boils down to it my favourite parts of the week are very early on Saturday and Sunday morning...........guilt and shame free.

Early on in stopping I also discovered that sugar can help forestal cravings. So Friday nights I went and bought ice creams for me and the family. It was just like being a kid again, very extravagant but less than half the price of a days alcohol. Now at 120 plus days, I cherish ordinariness, and can look forward to Fridays without dread, alternating with a raging desire to drink.

Take care. If you want to try it alone give it a go. I am here with only SR and the support of my wife. These are very powerful and useful
Old 09-15-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Friday is also my trigger day because its payday....I usually pay all the bills,get the shopping for the week and then the rest goes on beer....Last time i quit i made 4 days and then payday came and that sparked a weeks worth of drinking....Hope fully i can get through payday tomorow without relapsing as today is my 4th day sober....
Old 09-15-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Hello, Sunshine.

Praying was crucial for me. I quit drinking 5 months ago, after 20 years or more. Praying morning and night was very useful for me. Don't be afraid of cravings, they go away soon. Each time you overcome a craving, your addiction lose strength. In only some weeks, cravings will be less strong and less frequent. I was somewhat surprised, because I found that quitting drinking was not so difficult.
Hi, Maria, congrats on your 5 months of sobriety

I totally agree about praying. Today I felt the best ever, and actually had some cravings because of that (that's such a wierd thing to me!), but got through it fine. Not afraid of the cravings at all, though at one time I was when a tiny piece of me still wasn't ready to quit. Thanks for your good words.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
Hi Sally! I'm in the same situation. My trigger is night time, but Fridays/Saturdays definitely bump up the cravings to an 11. Best wishes to you this Friday. I know you can do it! If you feel the urge to drink, come post with us instead.
Best wishes to you, too, NightsWatch. I know you can do it, too. Right back at ya with the encouraging words!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
Yes Sally...your prayer partner is here and thinking of you. The weekend is almost here. Lets stay strong. I like the suggestion of doing something different. I am trying to think of something different to do for Saturday night. Saturday is my difficult time (unlike most my weekend starts Sat night). This forum is a tremendous strength for me.
Hey Bethany, glad you wrote. We'll stay strong. We just need to make plans.
I have a good friend who had a stroke and is in the hospital. Another friend and I may visit her tomorrow afternoon or evening. Maybe we'll go out to dinner.
I also have a plan B and C. Could visit this elderly lady who lives near me, who has dementia (she'll know me, but she won't remember what we did the next day) and can no longer go to my church, maybe get her out and take her to dinner and watch the sunset, too. She's a sweetie pie with no family around.
If neither of the above works out (for various reasons), I'm getting something from Panera, going to the beach and watch the sunset. I can't do anything more "fun" than that because my friend's condition has saddened me so much this week. Keeping her in my prayers precludes me from drinking anyway, so I'm all set for the weekend.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
My thoughts and prayers are with you both. In my experience, success in sobriety is always a result of good planning, so I think you guys have the right idea in mind.
Thanks, Josh, you're right, planning is a good thing, something I learned here.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Hey Sally
Friday's were the last thing I kept tripping over myself on. I always felt that Fridays had to be special. In the end I got to a place where Friday were mixed with excitement and fear/foreboding that built up into the evening. In then got to place where I worked out it was OK for Friday to be "ordinary" and that ordinary could be very special. When it boils down to it my favourite parts of the week are very early on Saturday and Sunday morning...........guilt and shame free.

Early on in stopping I also discovered that sugar can help forestal cravings. So Friday nights I went and bought ice creams for me and the family. It was just like being a kid again, very extravagant but less than half the price of a days alcohol. Now at 120 plus days, I cherish ordinariness, and can look forward to Fridays without dread, alternating with a raging desire to drink.

Take care. If you want to try it alone give it a go. I am here with only SR and the support of my wife. These are very powerful and useful
Hi, Instant, thanks for writing. I know the biggest reward will be waking up Saturday full of happiness and gratitude, no shame. I'm going to make a somewhat healthy apple crisp with vanilla soy ice cream on top--one of my favorite things on earth!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Friday is also my trigger day because its payday....I usually pay all the bills,get the shopping for the week and then the rest goes on beer....Last time i quit i made 4 days and then payday came and that sparked a weeks worth of drinking....Hope fully i can get through payday tomorow without relapsing as today is my 4th day sober....
Hey Stevie, save the money you would've spent on alcohol and plan something with it. Plan something different for tomorrow. This is day 6 for me and I have more energy. Each day gets better. You can do it!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hope all do well here. Am on my way to a friend's house for a potluck dinner with a group of friends, maybe a DVD or movie (plan D). Couldn't do the others things for various reasons.
I must say that usually I'm tired on Friday after the work week, and that has caused me to want to drink, but today, I went home and took and power nap (15 mins). The HALT thing is really true. Also, being sober all week and gradually getting better sleep helps (better, but not great), too.
Keep sober and really enjoy the morning!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-16-a-6.html

Bethany, I meant to write on this thread but wrote on the "less than 2 weeks" above.

Anyway, wishing a wonderful sober weekend. Keepin you in my prayers.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sally, thank you and so happy you made it through Friday and woke up feeling great today. I plan on doing that tonight as well...and waking up feeling good tomorrow and not hung over. My trigger is usually just Saturdays or sometimes Friday too if I do not have to work on Saturday. I say I will only have a glass or two of wine and then before you know it I have about 5 or 6 glasses and end up feeling awful the next day. When I do get a hangover it just wrecks havoc with my system and I start eating junk and binge eating. This week I have eaten healthy every day and feeling good. Thank you for thinking of me. I was so touched by your post about your friend with dementia and you taking her out. I have a very soft spot in my heart for people with dementia since my mother had Alzheimers. Let's continue to have a great weekend.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey, Bethany, hope your Saturday night was a good one.
Sal