Notices

Friday issue

Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday issue

Hi, everyone, I'm new here, was lurking for a few weeks and decided to join. I have a good plan on my own and am doing fairly well, but need to get through a Friday without drinking. Last night wasn't horrible (5 units), but I know from experience that doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean I can be moderate. I know I can't in the long run. I'm able to go without for 6 days, feeling great but then Friday's a trigger day as I don't have to worry about working the next day. Saturday's not a trigger as I go to church the next day. My friends only drink occasionally if at all so that's not an issue either. It's a bit by bit process and I'm almost there. I felt if I just wrote about it here, just admitted it out loud so to speak, I'll be successful on Friday's and then forever! I just need a boost. Will be so happy when I get to that point. I didn't start until middle age after the kids were on their own and my husband and I divorced. I was alone and it was easy and I drank alone. It's been 5 years of struggling with it, seeing it gradually getting worse though not so bad it has affected my work, other than a few sick days a year because of it. It's been astonishing actually. Both parents had a problem with it and I swore I never would! I'm done, facing my issues, eating healthy and trying to sleep as best I can. This site has been enormously helpful. Just a big thanks to all of you who post!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!!

What worked for me was finding some local AA meetings. I met people who were or had gone through what i was going through. I met a support system, it really changed my life for the better and helped me stop drinking. Do a google search for a local AA meeting, check out a few different meetings. You might be suprised by who you meet and what you find.
All the best to you. Keep posting!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeekSobriety View Post
Welcome!!!!

What worked for me was finding some local AA meetings. I met people who were or had gone through what i was going through. I met a support system, it really changed my life for the better and helped me stop drinking. Do a google search for a local AA meeting, check out a few different meetings. You might be suprised by who you meet and what you find.
All the best to you. Keep posting!
Thanks, Seek, I appreciate your concern and advice. Right now, I really just want to use SR as my direct support system. My faith is paramount and my closest friends are from my church. I feel confident that's all I'll need. If I'm wrong, I'll get face to face support for this.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Sally, welcome!

If you find yourself looking for another support in the future you may want to see if there are any Celebrate Recovery meetings in your area. CR is a Christ based program, so if you're already seeking support through your church and your faith than that might complement your efforts well. It has worked pretty well for me thus far, and really helped to strengthen my faith

Best wishes to you in your recovery, don't hesitate to post here for support
Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Welcome!
Thanks, SugarBear!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
Hi Sally, welcome!

If you find yourself looking for another support in the future you may want to see if there are any Celebrate Recovery meetings in your area. CR is a Christ based program, so if you're already seeking support through your church and your faith than that might complement your efforts well. It has worked pretty well for me thus far, and really helped to strengthen my faith

Best wishes to you in your recovery, don't hesitate to post here for support
Thank you, Josh, I've never heard of CR but will see if it's in my area. I'll keep that resource handy in case I think I need it. Grateful for all the blessings. God bless you and everyone here.
Sal
Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Seek more in person support. People who know what you're going through. It will make a difference. Or AA. Search aa speakers online and take a listen!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sally

I hope your Friday went ok - I spent 20 years with Friday night being The Night - it took a little time and effort getting out of that mindset, but support really helped.

I still have fun Friday nights too, btw

D
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome SunshineSally!

You picked a great place - there are quite a lot of us here that use SR as our main support. Just do whatever you feel works for you and, like you said, add things if you need to.

Weekends can be hard at first, but it gets easier once you have a few under your belt. Something I did early on was getting carryout from a really good restaurant. It was something I didn't normally do and something to look forward to at a time when I would normally start drinking. Anything you can think of to pamper yourself would be good......... get a pedicure, go out with a friend to a movie, learn how to knit, come here and hang out with us .... whatever sounds good to you.

Good to have you with us!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Seek more in person support. People who know what you're going through. It will make a difference. Or AA. Search aa speakers online and take a listen!
Thanks, Sugarbear, I appreciate your help and I'll take it in consideration. If I need it, I'll do it.
Sal
Old 09-11-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Sally

I hope your Friday went ok - I spent 20 years with Friday night being The Night - it took a little time and effort getting out of that mindset, but support really helped.

I still have fun Friday nights too, btw

D
Hi, Dee, wow 20 years! I've read several of your posts before joining and they've been so good to read. This last Friday was a slip, but I'm determined to do well at the one coming up. I will most certainly plan something fun for this Friday! Which brings me to the next post on this thread.....
Old 09-11-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Welcome SunshineSally!

You picked a great place - there are quite a lot of us here that use SR as our main support. Just do whatever you feel works for you and, like you said, add things if you need to.

Weekends can be hard at first, but it gets easier once you have a few under your belt. Something I did early on was getting carryout from a really good restaurant. It was something I didn't normally do and something to look forward to at a time when I would normally start drinking. Anything you can think of to pamper yourself would be good......... get a pedicure, go out with a friend to a movie, learn how to knit, come here and hang out with us .... whatever sounds good to you.

Good to have you with us!
Excellent, Artsoul! Carryout from a great place around here. Weather permitting, walking at a park or beach waiting for the sunset. Visiting or meeting with a friend or friends. Some or all of the above! So simple and perfect. Usually I'm exhausted from the work week by Friday, but these are things that are rejuvenating. And I'll get a good night's sleep on a Friday night (for once)
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Friday and Saturday are my Trigger days too. I'm 29 and i haven't gone without a beer on Friday since i was 18. This past weekend will hopefully be my last. The 100 proof vodka and six pack i drank last night made me feel pretty hungover today but i have this strange sense of optimism and happiness that other people are going through same thing and can help. Good luck Sunshinesally
Old 09-11-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by idletime2 View Post
Friday and Saturday are my Trigger days too. I'm 29 and i haven't gone without a beer on Friday since i was 18. This past weekend will hopefully be my last. The 100 proof vodka and six pack i drank last night made me feel pretty hungover today but i have this strange sense of optimism and happiness that other people are going through same thing and can help. Good luck Sunshinesally
You're about the same age as my daughter. You have your whole life ahead of you IT2. I finally eventually learned if I slip, I brush myself off and start again....being determined and hopeful like you say, maybe depressed and mad at myself but not in a destructive way. Turning away from the temptation and distracting myself from it rather than arguing with myself. Considering the possibility of drinking is the big snare. Find a way to not give it consideration. To pretend you don't notice it. And eventually it'll pass. It's a skill to hone. My faith makes it easier, makes it possible. I never went through serious withdrawals, but I know that's a whole other thing to get through first safely.

Will keep you in my prayers dear.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sunshine: I am new here and I very much related to your post. My trigger day is Saturday....I will keep you in my prayers so that we can both make it through the next weekend!
Beth
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome SunshineSally!! These guys are right, a support group of people going through the same thing will help immensely. It's really relieving to be able to say exactly how you feel, which you've always thought was vastly abnormal, and see everybody's heads nodding in understanding.
I agree with artsoul, finding new ways to treat myself has been one of the more important aspects to my recovery. Without it, I know I'd have already relapsed. I treated myself to a movie-theater movie on Saturday night, money I never would've spent before...oh and I would've been knee-deep in my 5th glass of wine by that time. Now I find little ways to treat myself every day, because this getting sober thing is hard! Buy yourself some flowers and pat yourself on the back, get a pedicure, go on a peaceful walk, read a guilty pleasure book, bake something decadent, do lots and lots of things to get reacquainted with YOU!
Best of luck!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
Sunshine: I am new here and I very much related to your post. My trigger day is Saturday....I will keep you in my prayers so that we can both make it through the next weekend!
Beth
Thanks, Bethany! It's a deal--we'll pray for each other and we'll make it!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foodie1 View Post
Welcome SunshineSally!! These guys are right, a support group of people going through the same thing will help immensely. It's really relieving to be able to say exactly how you feel, which you've always thought was vastly abnormal, and see everybody's heads nodding in understanding.
I agree with artsoul, finding new ways to treat myself has been one of the more important aspects to my recovery. Without it, I know I'd have already relapsed. I treated myself to a movie-theater movie on Saturday night, money I never would've spent before...oh and I would've been knee-deep in my 5th glass of wine by that time. Now I find little ways to treat myself every day, because this getting sober thing is hard! Buy yourself some flowers and pat yourself on the back, get a pedicure, go on a peaceful walk, read a guilty pleasure book, bake something decadent, do lots and lots of things to get reacquainted with YOU!
Best of luck!
Hi, Foodie, thanks, well I'll think about it.
All these things sound great. I'm really looking forward to a fabulous Friday!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Foodie is right - rewarding yourself for achieving your goals is an important part of changing your behaviour. You deserve it.