Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

gaining weight instead of losing? any1 else deal with this when you stopped drinking?

Notices

gaining weight instead of losing? any1 else deal with this when you stopped drinking?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

I believe fruits are healthier. It's another form of sugar. My current area is ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce! As long as I exercise, all wil even out! Life, for me, is about balance!

(regarding splenda, after I gained, I researched it and found info to support my experience)
Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I got fat as hell when I quit. I needed cheeseburgers or fries to celebrate my day when it was over. Oh well. having cheeseburger wrappers in my car have replaced my cans of beer. It's all good though. I am working a spiritual path and maybe that will mean less cheeseburgers.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I gained a little too, mostly because of sugar stuff (Nerds and ice cream - ben and jerry's especially). In my treatment program they said it's very common - they encouraged us to eat healthy foods but not be hard on ourselves. We had one woman who was a crack addict... and she was beating herself up for goign to Arby's... but the social worker compared going to Arby's to going out and smoking crack... really puts it in perspective.

It takes time. Now I'm 5 months sober and I'm starting to lose weight. One things I AM noticing is that I am actually losing weight when watching my calories and exercising... when I was drinking it just didn't seem to come off.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I gained weight after I quit as well. I work out, try to eat right. And after 9 months haven't really lost anything. Everyone is different.

I can say that everything in life is better, though!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have now gained 12 pounds. I thought when I started back to work I would start loosing it. I am still gaining and I am watching every thing I eat.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey, after my detox the first week, I ate 2 entire chocolate cakes. I too craved sweets....but only that second week. I am a chocolate hound and that seems to be the only thing I wanted. People in recovery have told me that alcohol turns to sugar once you drink it, therefore the body craves it when you stop. Don't know if that's true, but it seemed pretty accurate for me. After I consumed the 2 chocolate cakes that second week....for some reason my sweet tooth dissappeared and I seemed to stabelize.

At this point I would eat 2 more if it meant staying sober....ha

Good luck......I am sure with time things will even out for you.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm at 80 days and I have finally lost a little bit of the weight that I gained right after I quit. I am watching what I eat very carefully and eating very little, seems like my metabolism slowed WAY down when I quit drinking. There have been a lot of adjustments, I am sleepy very early in the evenings and seems to need a lot of down time.

I am trying to eat really healthy food most of the time, fruits, veggies, whole grains. I allow myself a little bit of ice cream (a few spoonfuls) every other evening or so as a treat, or a sugar free popsicle (although the artificial sweeteners really are terrible for you), etc.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm eating less now too. I'm nearly 60 days sober. It's true about chocolate & sweets... there's a big craving for them.

Haven't gained weight, actually lost a few lbs. But I am trying to limit my intake of sweets now. Sometimes I'm successful & sometimes I let myself have chocolate. But I do think chocolate instead of pastries or something is preferable. And go for dark chocolate! The purer, the better. Like 70-80% cacao.

I've been eating mostly a paleo diet the past few months... cutting out processed carbs, all grains, and limiting sweet fruits and starchy vegs. I mostly eat meat, non-starchy veggies & salads and also don't eat condiments with added sugar or corn syrup (no ketchup). Also, cut out all hydrogenated oils... it's a killer! Along with corn syrup. Watch the documentary King Corn!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

SoberJennie, Heinz makes a low sugar ketchup (it's EXPENSIVE). I have been eating a lo-carb/Paleo diet since 2002. Although, I do not go overboard with the low/no sugar condiments. Sweet potato baked fries and Heinz Low Sugar Ketchup - now that's a treat for me!