Notices

Headed to Detox as soon as a bed opens up!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headed to Detox as soon as a bed opens up!

Hi all. Obviously, I am new here and wanted to say hi to everyone. I've been lurking on and off for about a year. Every time I thought I had the courage to quit drinking I would pop in an read a few posts before I realized that I really did not have that courage.

Well, I do now and I have made my way onto a waiting list for a detox center near my home. I'm close to 40 and have been drinking about 1.75 liters of bourbon every two days for nearly 5 years. Before that I was still a daily drinker, but at a lower level of consumption, for about 25 years.

My GI doctor told me last month that I'd be lucky to hit 50 years old if I didn't quit (liver issues) and that was a real wake up call.

So, I imagine I'll be asking you all for some support once out of detox as the recovery period truly begins. Something tells me that I'll get it too.

Thanks for having me here!

Xander
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on your decision to quit, its often the hardest part for some.
I really hope things work out for you. And once your out of detox you will find lots of friendly encouragement here.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well come. Glad you made the leap of faith. Hope everything goes well in detox and that the food isn't too bad. Sobriety does sound scarey but the real fear lies in the addiction not in the recovery.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome
Keep reading and posting. Congrats on your decision and choosing a treatment center. I pray that you get the skills you need to make long term sobriety your priority.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Xander!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Good luck with rehab, let us know how it went when you get back.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum, Xander - Glad you've decided you're worth a better life. :day6

I'm really grateful I went to treatment - I think it's a great head start. The more support we get, the better. Keep posting and reading!
Old 08-17-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, deciding to quit was scarier than the quitting itself.

I wish you well and look forward to seeing you as a regular member.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Congrats on your decision This could very well be the start of the rest of your life sober! So glad you are here with us, please keep posting and reading. We'll of course be here for you when you are out of detox. A lot of wisdom, support and understanding here.

-Jess
Old 08-17-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Xander
good to have you with us on the posting side

best of luck with the detox - see you when you get back.
D
Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to you all...

Thanks to you all for your kind words of support. This is my first time entering a detox facility and I'm a little scared but I know it's the right thing to do. I have made the personal commitment and my partner is fully behind me on this one. He can't wait for me to come home sober and help with my recovery. We both know it will be a long and potentially painful process but we also know it will allow me to live life as myself, not a drunken, forgetful version of myself.

I look forward to meeting myself after detox. Having been a drinker since my late teens, I'm fairly sure I will meet a new person on the other side. Should be interesting!

Xander
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Xander!

As others have said, making the decision to stop drinking is scary and hard. But, there is so much hope for you to live a sober life.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck to you....and a great decision to go to Rehab. I think we all have our wake-up calls, whether it be health or the mess we have made with our lives. I am fortunate my health is good, but cleaning up the messes I have made for myself and others seems to be my wake-up call. Everyone always talks about hitting your bottom.....I'm not sure what that means because I have had many many bottoms and they never stopped me from going to the next bottom. I guess "death" would be my bottom.....but I choose not to let that happen so I am working very hard at changeing my thinking.

Sobriety can be ours for the rest of our lives....imagine that..no hang-overs,
no lost jobs, no messes to clean up, no financial disasters, (at least the ones caused by our drinking and using), no more family and relationship issues caused by our drinking. It's something to look forward to that's for sure.

Let us know when you get out.....and keep posting.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

My best to you!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

welcome.....and Yes! we can and do recover....
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you'll be detoxing with medical supervision. Better safe than sorry.

to the SR family.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Once again, thanks all! I just had a good talk with a friend and co-worker who will be 2 years sober this Friday. He answered many of my nagging questions about AA and offered to take me to my first meeting on his special occasion. I have to say I am thrilled! The three hour drive will be well worth it to see him achieve his two years as well as a soft entrance for me to the AA meetings that I have been dreading for so many reasons.

I really love this guy! And all this before I even get into the hell of detox. I feel so well protected already.

Xander
Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have really made the decision to quit, good on you, keep us posted on your recovery.
CaiHong
Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

CaiHong, I promise you'll be hearing plenty from me in the near future. I will go mute during detox sometime within the next 10 days but then I'll be here in full force, both asking for support and sharing whatever strength I have with others.

Xander

Old 08-17-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to go to rehab! It sounds like you're in a good place mentally. Keep us posted!!