Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

gaining weight instead of losing? any1 else deal with this when you stopped drinking?

Notices

gaining weight instead of losing? any1 else deal with this when you stopped drinking?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I am at almost 3 weeks now (YAY!) but I am curious...why am I not losing any weight. I used to drink a ton of beer and liquor every day, all of which is empty calories, and then when I was drunk I'd make poor eating choices. I'm trying to be more mindful of what I eat and I normally walk to my daily meetings which is about 2 miles each way. I've been drinking a lot of water and tea...my only setback is the candy! Being sober has given me a sweet tooth...but I'm eating mostly like gummy worms and the like, not really chocolate. But still...I shouldn't be gaining weight...right?

I know, getting sober is a miracle in itself and I shouldn't care whether I'm gaining or losing weight. But I was just curious if anyone else has dealt with this or has any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Try sugar free hard candy ..some brands are very tasty....
wal Mart carries Baskin * Robbins....my favorite.

Please don't expect too much too quickly....it took me about 2 months to get back in balance
I was doing all the things you mentioned.

Well done on your sober time...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, try to be patient.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I love the benefits of walking every day!

Hopefully you will see results soon.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too - but when I used to drink every night I usually didn't eat much or anything for dinner (can't dilute the buzz, right?) Congrats on 3 weeks!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Part of recovery for me is learning to let things take their time. My body was a mess. I was alredy over 15lbs over weight when I quit drinking. I went crazy for chocolate and iced mochas, right after, and gained another 5. I am now at at 104 days. My chocolate and mocha consumtion is down, my exercise is up and I have lost a few pounds. I will continue to lose as I continue my journey. My advice is to give yourself time. SLOW DOWN you have not been sober very many days, give yourself a break. People told me things will even out with time and I am finding that to be true. I am proud of you for you sobriety, keep that your priority and everything else will fall into place.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not to veer this off topic because I'm really not, but we gain weight from refined carbohydrates, i.e., sugar - like in gummy worms...

But, I agree, concentrate on becoming a life long sober person, and worry about your weight after.

In the mean time, eat protein and complex carbs instead of simple/refined carbs. How about fruit, it's natures candy ya know?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by landminesgirl View Post
Me too - but when I used to drink every night I usually didn't eat much or anything for dinner (can't dilute the buzz, right?)
I was kinda the same way...I think now that I'm eating (even if it's relatively healthy) more than I was before...my body is just balancing out.

I was thinking of trying a 7 day raw fruit/veggie diet cleanse...getting rid of coffee and candy for a week...just fruit juices, water, and fresh organic fruits and veg....that would probably make my body really happy. Anyone ever try that?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Your body is adjusting. Muscle weighs more than fat. Relax, it all evens out. Give time Time & be proud of accomplishing 3+ weeks! Go forth and you will be more awesome than you already are!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am at 1 month and have gained 10 pounds. At first it was the sweets and carbs. Now I am back to normal on my diet but I hadn't been active. I am not too worried about it yet. I started my new job. I can guarantee that the weight will fall off in 2 weeks. My job is very active.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bad*** Pirate Addict

lpnangel - your profile photo seems very appropriate for this topic!

I am 6 days sober and have probably eaten more candy in the past week than I did in the previous 6 YEARS combined!!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I lose my appetite completely when I stop drinking, especially the sweet tooth. I usually have a huge drop in weight, about 4-5 lbs the first week and then nothing! or even end up gaining the second week even though I don't eat that much more. I usually start workout out more the second week so that might have something to do with it. Hopefully this time sticks though and I can stop the roller coaster.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SerenityStarbuc View Post
lpnangel - your profile photo seems very appropriate for this topic!

I am 6 days sober and have probably eaten more candy in the past week than I did in the previous 6 YEARS combined!!
:rotfxko I can relate. I don't even keep that stuff in my house. My coolaid, syrup and jam is all sugar free. When I quit, I was eating candy, cookies, icecream, and lots of carbs. It's been one month now and it has tapered off. I am glad because I really don't want to get out my fat jeans.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Splenda made me gain weight.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your body is craving sugar to substitute the alcohol is use to get its fix. Its a normal thing and try not to over do it because you already have addiction problem. Learn how to control it and try to excrise and keep your day busy which will help. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yup - you are replacing the alcohol sugar with gummy worm sugar!!! try to eat a bit healthy and not snack - Im facing the same problem right now - i find exercise has been great - congrats on your sobriety!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
really? that's weird...

and thanks for your positive energy everyone. i'm gonna try to chew gum or eat fruit when i'm craving sugar to help stop with the candy. i'm also trying to drink tea more than i drink coffee to help eliminate some of the sugar intake. i got some sugar free hard candies at the store yesterday, those seem to help a little too.

one day at a time.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know that alcohol messed up my metabolism pretty well... with the starving/binging/junk food cycle. Lots of sugar and bad food at odd times can take its toll. I would just take it easy. Eat well but I wouldn't start doing cleanses and stuff (just my opinion). As others have said, give your body time to balance out. We put them through a lot!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It happened to me, too. I was at a complete loss for an explanation. But, about 2 months in, I dropped about 10 lbs with just as little explanation! Give it time, add some exercise to your routine and I'm sure you'll see results.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh brother I hope that isn't going to happen with me, I have gone up 2 dress sizes since drinking the last 3 years. I am looking forward to losing the weight! I am running round a supermarket 4 days a week for 4 hours solid pushing a heavy trolley, I basically do peoples online grocery shopping ready to be delivered to them. So the exercise bit is taken care of. I started there nearly 3 yrs ago & everyone there said they lost weight when they first started working there, not me! But that will have been the drink I hope.
I did read the other day that bananas are good for replacing what alcohol takes out our bodies, they aren't the best fruit ever are they, but I bought some today, they're sweet but healthier than sweets?
Tangerines I bought too. And some Melon. I didn't realise that our bodies craved sugar to replace the alcohol sugar, that'll explain my shopping choices today then lol