Notices

How to get through my first weekend?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to get through my first weekend?

Not sure how to prepare for this weekend. I think I will be ok until Thursday. Absolutely not sure how to get through my first Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Please help me in advance. Thank you
Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Phone numbers and use them
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get through today first. One day at a time.

As for being ready for the weekend, change your normal routine that you would associate with drinking. It is different for all of us. Get some movies, some books, anything you like to do. . .you can take walks, clean your house, go for a ride, whatever.

Best to find some face to face support with people who have been through it. They will help you more than you could imagine.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If it were me, I'd stay in all 3 nights and not even think about going out to a bar or restaurant. Get some movies and whatever else you could use to get your mind off the routine.

Also, I'd think of them as just any other night. Nothing special about them, no reason to drink.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GettingStronger2

Im new in this area, I moved recently. So I don't have any friends here who went through what Im going through now. Also none of my existing friends know about this. On weekends I usually did shopping, cleaning, beach, walks and then finish with 2 bottles of wine. Not sure yet how to break this habit on weekends.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Reset
Also, I'd think of them as just any other night. Nothing special about them, no reason to drink.

Oh I like this alot what you said. Weekends are ordinary days and evenings. Im ok at the bar and restaurant. Could easily have no drink at all. I drunk at home alone.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

I filled my time.. Stupid mindless video games, movies, tons of gym time. I had to change everything (eventually). Eat well, go to bed early with a glossy new magazine, fresh coffee in the mornings. Check in here, lots..hang in chat, read the stories section. Get outside.. Go to a movie or three..theres a whole world out there for you!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

My weekend isn't promised. I'll stay in today. Although, when drinking, it was daily. Weeknights, holidays, weekends.............
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Take each day as it comes and be in it. Special days, such as weekends, only have the mystic and power we give them. Be alert, aware, resolved and reach out to others as needed, including SR.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just went through my first week-end without anything to drink, and to tell you the truth it was the best week-end I have had in a long time. Just being sober was a blessing.....waking up without a hangover, and not worrying about the drunken e-mails I may have sent the night before. I am only 8 days sober, but am thankful to be alive and surviving my withdrawals last week. If I can do it.......you can do it.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Edwardm

I'm on week three. I was terrified of my first weekend. Listen to the people here, lots of good suggestions. I got a book and also something to substitute for the wine. Sparkling water with lemon or lime. Maybe juice with mineral water. Something to sip while reading or watching TV. Change it up alittle. Go shopping in the evening, I could never do that because I didn't want to drink and drive. It's nice not to be a slave to the bottle. Come on this board and see if anyone is chatting. Don't be afraid to come on and tell someone if it's getting hard. There's alot of people who will tell you not to drink. Also, take it one day at a time. Just get through Friday, then concentrate on Saturday, and finally Sunday. You can make it through and believe me, the mornings will feel great without a hangover.

One more thing. Maybe start changing it up now before the weekend gets here and don't overlook Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. They were just as tough for me. One day at a time really helped.

Stay strong.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

smacked

Yes I can imagine go to bed early, may be a nice romantic movie before that. Get up early in the morning, fresh coffee. Love it!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

basias

Yes if you did it, I will do it too. That actually really helps to know that there are people out there who have done it!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile make a plan!

get some structure in your day, and keep yourself as occupied as possible! good for the body, the soul, and your recovery.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dismember

Phone numbers!
Supports!
Meetings, recovery work, etc.!

Also, the weekend... what is a weekend? Something society says is a time to go get drunk as you're not working. So what? When Easter rolls around do you feel you have to hide dyed eggs for children to find? Do you suffer through Arbor Day (a US holiday) if you don't plant a tree then?

Well, such is your weekend. You have the perfect excuse not to celebrate it, and part of you really doesn't want to, so what else? No one will send you to trial for not having a few then.

It's okay to want to, we've all been there. Just make your reasons not to as they're in your best interest and don't let a social convention make you do what you know is really stupid. You really CAN wear white shoes after Labor Day, and you really CAN not drink on a Saturday.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Edwardm

See I rarely had hangovers. Someone told me that after a week or so, skin appears to look healthier! Face change the color! I can't wait to see that.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Isaiah

Ha ha I found this very funny: we celebrate weekends! True, but not any more.
Today felt a little too long for me. Usually I did not have time to finish the drink as the night came so fast.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

fsterpsycat

Make a plan is a good idea. At the moment I can not think of anything else but usual things such as cleaning, shopping, cooking.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Join the current month thread - lot of support there HF

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2011-a-7.html

D
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I did LOTS of reading my first few weeks sober -- worked through about 5 books a week. I wasn't working at the time so I filled almost every second of every day that I wasn't in a meeting with reading.

That worked for me cause I like to read, but if you don't maybe you could go the movies/tv/video games route?

I also drank TONS of tea, especially on weekends or whenever I felt the desire to drink. I've slowed down a little bit, but at the time I was probably at 10-12 cups a day. This helped my incessant desire to have some kind of beverage at my lips.

Best of luck, stay strong!