Notices

How to get through my first weekend?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Oh and also, I still look forward to weekends now that I'm sober, but it's for different reasons -- normal, nonalcoholic reasons. I get excited to have time to play guitar, hang out with family or sober friends, go to more meetings, read, play video games, etc.

I think that weekends felt a little empty at first, but after a while they reclaimed their allure in a much more healthy way.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Ask yourself "How do I want to feel on Sunday?" and stay focused on the goal. The weekend won't last forever.....

Treat yourself to some good food or a special dessert- if you let yourself get too hungry it will feel like a craving. And check in each night with SR to get a little support.

I really enjoy doing things with my hands (and watching TV at the same time). Right now I'm working on 3 knitted afghans for Christmas presents.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I clearly remember my first weekend-- very hard but everyone here on SR gave me support and I made it. And oh the pride!! You will be so proud of yourself when you wake up on Sunday! I'm facing a difficult weekend myself-- I'll be alone for 5 days for the first time since I started to drink. I'm busy making plans for myself. I agree with the suggestions that everyone made above and I know that for me to be successful, I kind of need a 1,2,3 approach...craving hits, I know exactly the first thing I'm going to do. If that doesn't work, onto the second, and so on. At least that's what got me through my first couple of weekends-- hope it still works. And don't forget to pamper yourself!!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I started working weekends...changed my 'weekend' to weekdays. This way I'm busy Fri/Sat/Sun.
Changing your habits and schedule is important...everything has to change not just the not drinking. Change everything...if you tie your left shoe first, tie your right first...if you put on the coffee pot before you brush your teeth then put it on after you brush your teeth. I found that by changing the little things, the bigger things were easier to change. It might sound silly and mondane but it seriously was a help to me.
The drinking is such a habit that by changing habits you will see that finding time to want to drink will subside. At least it did for me.
Find a meeting in your area. I know you said you didn't want to go but without support it will be hard to stay on track.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I will say this, when you're new it's quite daunting I know. But there is nothing, and I mean nothing like waking up early on a Saturday / Sunday morning with no hangover. The entire day lays in front of you and you can do anything you want. When I drink, I am filled with anxiety and just want to "sleep it off". It seems like the clock is stuck on 9am and I can't wait until the day is over so I'm not hungover anymore. Not a very good way to spend your two days off.

There's something speacial about drinking coffee and being in the stillness of the morning. Cheesy I know, but it's true. My advice is just try and embrace it. Don't put ANY expectations on yourself. If your hungry, eat. If you're tired, sleep. If you can pull through I think you'll actually find it quite enjoyable. But first things first, it's only Monday...

Best wishes!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When I decided to get sober, I started to pamper myself. I wanting to look and feel the part.
I started exercising and hiking. I planned and cooked good meals. Got my hair and nails done. Made an appointment with the doctor and dentist for a check up.
Been 2 years now. You can do this, stay strong.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

eJoshua

I had a little panic attack today cause I thought about the previous weekend, drunk like always.

So today is my 2nd day. I got through just fine. Could not sleep during the night, was scared of those imaginary noises.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

saphira

So what 123 approach did you use? Im scared that every weekend I will be struggling. Cause I will be bored. Sunday I always treated as weekend!!! So three hard days for me.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

EmeraldRose

Yes changing habits sounds promising. Cleaning Friday evening instead of Saturday morning. Then have nothing to do on Saturday. Im so hopeless at the moment.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

reggiewayne

When I drunk, I rarely had any hangovers. The only thing that keeps me going is that I dont have anything in my cupboard. Im just worried that what if I stay sober for 30 days and still crave and think about the drink?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

tallcactus

I wanted to pamper myself yesterday. Today I did not want to do anything. Its my 2nd day. Feels like too long for 2 days.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Healthyfood - good job on the two days - how are you holding up so far??
Old 08-11-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So, how was your first week-end? Hope it went as well as mine. I have had two week-ends now. Yes, your skin does get more healthy looking, and the eyes certainly improve !!