Notices

Class of July 2011

Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Snoopy I'm on Day 4 and have two small babies at home as well. Let's get through this weekend!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi July Class...I would love to join also. Like Vicious, my join date was in 2009 and I have been doing the same stupid things for the last two years. I am currently only on day 2 but I am determined to make it work this time. Posting here is part of the plan, I can't disappear for almost two years again. I've come completely clean with my husband and he is being extremely supportive.

Squishy, Rae, and Snoopy - I also have two precious children who also know their mom "likes" her wine. I need to quit NOW so they begin to forget.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

it makes me feel so good that i am not alone
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rae123 View Post
it makes me feel so good that i am not alone
Makes me feel good too not to be alone. I also have a little one at home and I used to drink my wine after he went to bed. I was a sneaky drinker. We can get through this together! I'm on day 6 today and dragged myself to the gym this morning, even though my head felt heavy. I was so glad that I did! I will not drink today.

Keep up the good work everyone! Weekends can be hard so I will be here quite a bit!

xo
Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Rae - You'll get a lot of support here too! Welcome!

Welcome to you also, Starfish!

No kids here, but a husband and dog... wishful thinking if I would think that my husband could be too old to remember the stupid things I've done

Listen - I figure I've made it made it 85 hours without a drink (3 1/2 days as of now) - what's another 2 1/2 days to make through the weekend! If this was a week, I'd over halfway through... or something like that

So, let's first get through tonight!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rae and Starfishrunning! It's great to have you here. The more support the better off we will all be.

Day 5 here and looking forward to the run tonight.

Lots of mommies here! I have young children too but they have only seen me drink wine once or twice. The way I've hurt them is by being a crabby tired mom the morning after my wine.

Best wishes all for a great weekend!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome rae and welcome back starfishrunning

I got overconfident a lot of times Cerebus - but posting here regularly really helped me keep my perspective and helped remind me how insidious and persistent this addiction can be.

My advice in brief to anyone is....anytime you think a drink might be ok for you...run from that thought
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Really:
conveniently forgot that I can't ever drink... ever. Crazy, stupid... this time is I got it. I don't feel it right now starting my 4th day, but I got it.
I totally relate to that. Great rant btw.
I had a birthday, a significant one and thought I "deserved" it. That was just like striking a match over a puddle of gasoline. I pretty much lost the month of June.
But as our fabulous Dee once told me.........you cannot undo it. Learn from it and do whatever it takes to never do it again. See Dee, I listen. :horse hee hee.

Your taking a great first step Rae. Let us know how it goes.
Cerb, you and I are on the same day....fivers! You too Sarah.
Wtg on 6 Wantme!

I have a question. Someone recently told me a high percent of women wine drinkers developed a real problem. Looking around here and in my life, I wonder if it may be true? I drink, oops I mean I used to drink some beer but could not wait till later in the day and night to get into my wine. That's what did me in. Any thoughts? How many wine drinkers here? I am one.

Stay tight you guys and come post here before you pick it up....we can do this. Remember there is power in numbers.

One final thing. (sorry for such a long post...lol)

Dee:
anytime you think a drink might be ok for you...run from that thought
This is us now! (there is alcohol in the house behind him.)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know anything about the % of women wine drinkers....I've never heard anything like that.

Just speaking for myself I drank anything - sometimes a cask of wine was all I could afford...but 4l of that AWFUL stuff certainly made my problem/s worse.

D
Old 07-08-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

It is incredible just how similar so many of our stories are. Intellectually we all seem to know that we can't just have that one drink on that one occasion and yet we have all tried it and tried to rationalize it. Some of me more than others, lol. That must be the thing that pretty much defines this addiction. Sorry, thinking out loud, trying to get a handle on why! Why me, I would so like to be able to drink 'moderately' I guess I need to give up on that theory!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Friday night is definitely tough. I'm trying to resist going out but one part of me is trying to convince the other that I don't have a problem and that I'm just a heavy drinker...not an alcoholic. But, I know what will happen if I go out drinking.

It's obvious that my two options are to either stop entirely or to continue binging and reap the negative consequences. Going out for 2-3 drinks does not even sound appealing to me. What's the point of drinking if you aren't going to get a buzz? This thought process alone makes it clear that complete abstinence is necessary.

I guess it's just miserable the first few weeks/months. I don't really feel like doing anything on a Friday or Saturday that doesn't involve alcohol.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Run, Forrest, Run! Step AWAY from the bottle This last little bit, I drank Bud Light Lime, then quickly found Mike's Harder Grape Punch -- like 8% alcohol. Got to liking it too much... as always.... but still the beer. Time before, it was wine and anything I could get my hands on... but that one last years instead of 'only' 5 weeks.

I would like to be transported from the thought though, D.... calgon take me awayyyyyy.

There's a book called Under the Influence, Cerb - explains a lot... think I'll take another look at it tomorrow as a matter of fact.

SV -Tell the part that wants to go drink NO - stay on here -- look around at all the different sites. Just don't go out... unless it's to a meeting or to be with friends who don't drink... or just go see a movie or grab something you really like to eat.... it gets easier....
Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Btw, just so no one will think I'm dodging saying how i am at the moment.... I'm cranky and agitated and antsy....other than that Life Is Good
Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

That's it in a nutshell Really cranky..lol, do something different. Change up the normal pattern...I believe this is key.

SV, the first few weeks, months will not be miserable. Especially when you start to feel better..........it just means some changes....and they can be fun ones. It's hard to break a routine....but you can. Small steps.

I hope everyone does OK tonight.....
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Love the Forrest Gump picture! I actually chose running as part of my "name" because that's how I want to visualize getting away from the bottle...running from it and getting stronger and faster the further I get away from my last drink.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Happy Saturday Morning Everyone!

Day 5 here... how'd everyone do? Or doing... since I think there was one or two going to actually stop today...

Let's keep it up gang - we REALLY4REAL can do this - this time. Nothing can stop me except myself. And I'm telling myself right now to 'get the heck out of my way' - because I'm going to live today SOBER
Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me today. Driving back home now & making plans with my husband for the rest of the weekend I will stay sober today, & not think about the next days. We can do it!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

I KNEW there was someone starting today.... YOU CAN DO IT!!! Congrats for making the decision Rae!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

So happy that you made the decision today Rae. I find that keeping busy and making plans has really helped me avoid drinking.

R4R, happy Saturday to you and congrats on day 5.

I went to a Red Sox game last name SOBER and it was the best time I have ever had at the game. My mind wasn't fixated on getting another beer and I was able to actually stay put in my seat and follow what was happening.

So nice not to wake up hungover on a Saturday. I'm mentally scheduling my day and so far it's filled with fitness activities and tons of fun for the kids.

Keep up the good work everyone!

I will not drink today.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Good morning everyone! Day 6 here. Yay!
Me up at 6:30 in the morning? Whoa....this could get pretty cool. At this time not so long ago, I would let the boyfriend sleep so I could go sneak a beer or two before he got up........how sick is that?????? I was just so anxious and wanted to take the edge off. Today I can smell the coffee brewing from the kitchen.....a MUCH better way to start the day.

Hey WantMe, are you a Patriots fan? I am a diehard one....I am from CT. Good job on the Sox game. I actually went to see Elton John sober and it was so awesome. To think what I could have missed having to run to the wine area and also remembering it all so vividly. Funny how I thought events would be more fun with booze....it's the exact opposite.

Good for you Rae for taking this step. Your family will be so happy, and so will you!

R4-congrats on 5!!

Hope everyone else is OK this morning.......and even if it didn't go too well, come back here anyway and try again, we are all in this struggle together.

Will check in later!