Notices

Class of July 2011

Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 5

Well, made it to day 5 after an hard night, but I did it!

Hey Vicious, you're a Patriots fan? Those are some fighting words - I am a die-hard Steelers fan - LOL! It's funny, because I always go home once a year for a game and I know for a fact that is one situation I will be AVOIDING this year! Biggest trigger I can think of! Plus I was always loaded watching the games, so kind of hoping for the lockout - LOL!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Yeah we might not even have football.....NE plays in Denver this season which is the closest game I could go to. I don't mind Pittsburgh but not too fond of your QB. He got away with a lot. Wtg on day 5 Snoop!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Checking in with day 6 here! so far, feeling great and very happy to have made it through a Friday night - traditionally Pizza and Beer night. And we still had pizza (I thought about switching it up and moving pizza night to get rid of the association then I realized that then it would just be "burgers and beer" night since oh yeah, beer goes with everything!)
anyway, at about 10:00 last night hubby and I were watching tv and realized that hey, this is absolutely OK! not turning my head inside out wishing I could go get a beer. Just doing fine!

And let me tell you it's a much better feeling going around in the morning cleaning up water bottles than beer cans.

Really4real - thanks for the book info, checked my library but unfortunately they don't have it. But hey with all the money I am saving not drinking, I could probably, *gasp* buy it!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

My garbage man will think I have moved when he can actually lift the cans not filled with wine and beer bottles! lol

Wtg CERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

I know, vicious - I am thinking my local recycling centre will be all, WTF? only water bottles? ROFL.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Feeling better today. I had a beer yesterday morning but I went to an AA meeting across town last night and I met some really nice people who reassured me that I can do this and I'm not alone. I'm going to another meeting tonight. Waking up sober has never felt better.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
My garbage man will think I have moved when he can actually lift the cans not filled with wine and beer bottles! lol
Funny, VC! My husband won't know what to do with the time it took to crush all my cans

Got lots to do today - ran a bit this morning... now have to cut baseboard to finish a room... go get border and then wash my Jeep!

Congrats to EVERYONE who's posting or lurking

Later my fellow Julians - oh well, sounds better than Julyarians
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Just a quick post here on day 6. Doing great this Sat. morning. Had a blast in the 5K last night. I'm going to sign up for another one taking place in a few weeks.

I'm heading out for my Sat. morning run and then just going to hang out with my beautiful family.

Keep going July class! We're doing great
Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi guys, VC recruited me over here. I was also in another class with her and got caught up in a lot of drinking the past month and finally am making today day 1! I would love to be part of this group where I can relate to other people new in recovery.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Julians! I like that r4r.
So we have sports fans& comedians
..I knew this was gonna be a fun group.
to the moms w young children, those days are not too far behind me, I remember often thinking when tempted to drink too much, 'they need me sober, what if we had an emergency during the night? How horrifying to deal with ems or er sloppy drunk? Not trying to scare anyone, just a reality check that helped me even through the teens. Its been this few year empty nest that has helped fuel my recent deluge into drunkenness. How's that for a mouthful?
Anyway, told hubby im taking a break from alcohol after today. He wasn't surprised& I know he'll be supportive. May even get him to cut back some.
congratulations to everyone!!! I love reading all your posts. Peace
Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I know, vicious - I am thinking my local recycling centre will be all, WTF? only water bottles? ROFL.
I know it's really not funny, but it made me smile anyway because I can relate. When I hear the recycling truck pull up in front of our house I cringe with embarrasment. Oh my god what must they think? There are only 2 adults living here but we have the recycling bins of frat house.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

It's time for me to join this group. I've been trying for months and months to do this by myself, but it's not working. I give up. I surrender. Quitting alcohol is my #1 priority and my pride can't get in the way.

My plan: Tonight i am allowing myself 4 12oz. light beers to get me through the horrible anxiety I have and to transition myself into tomorrow. By the way, 4 beers is like NOTHING to me. That's practically "not drinking" in my book. Isn't that nuts? Then tomorrow I will go cold turkey. I am prepared to call the outpatient center I know of and seek help. I hope it doesn't come to that but if it does it does. Would I rather keep living like this or swallow my pride for a week or so? I would have done it sooner but it ain't cheap! Yet how much do we spend on alcohol per month?

What do you all think of the 4 transition beers plan? I'm just trying to do the best thing.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

First off, Hi to BF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the Julians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ghug3
We have two more recruits to wait for.....

Ceneri, I hope you husband sees the change in you and cuts back on his own to be supportive....good for you, with or without him!!

Got up at the crack of dawn and made meatballs and a big pot of spaghetti sauce.......by 8:30am it was done. Who is this woman?
Finally got the dude up and went out to breakfast and then picked up a trellis and some soil for a new clematis to plant out front. This I have wanted to do for a month and a half!!!!!!! Cleared up and organized my work office.......figured out what the HELL I did with my checkbook..(I have no idea whose handwriting that was...lol) Guess what I am saying is I am getting my $hit together and being responsible....and ya know what? It feels good. Damn it feels good. This is only day 5, I will be unbearable after two weeks!
"Someone slip her a drink!"

It makes me happy we all are in the same spot, the same mindset. This is going to be a great group.

I know it's really not funny, but it made me smile anyway because I can relate. When I hear the recycling truck pull up in front of our house I cringe with embarrasment.
Hilarious. I usually walk to the front room so I don't have to hear all the bottles hit the bottom of the metal truck.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Day 5 proving hardest

Ugh! It is not that I am tempted to drink (I know I won't drink today), but I feel like drinking is one my mind CONSTANTLY! Took the kids to the art fair and my eyes immediately went to everyone who was walking around with a drink in their hands! Then we went to lunch and constantly thinking how I didn't order a drink...(typically would have a drink at both the art fair and lunch). It probably doesn't help that I have the kids all day today and tomorrow and it is very stressful to not only entertain them all day (ages 8, 5, & 3), but no adult conversation is maddening (I am divorced). So in conclusion, I am not going to drink today, but I guess am just really pissed I can't. I am not feeling these awesome "sun is shining" "loving sobriety" feelings like other people - I am just cranky and annoyed. I am beginning to doubt I can do this if I am always going to feel this way
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Rae, BF and Krang

IrishEyes you know I'm not a fan of transition beers...I think it's much better to seek medical help if your that concerned about anxiety and withdrawal...

But it's your call. If you feel that's the only way that works for you, then I wish you luck

D
Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Ceneri - best of luck for tomorrow - rooting for ya!

Sarah - so how did you do on your 5k? I just got out there for the first time in 6 weeks and it felt WONDERFUL.

Snoopy - Give yourself some time... the drinking urges and thoughts will start to subside the longer you're away from it.

Irish - Hope you do well. I could never do the near beer thing.... or cutting back or anything like that. I figured , Oh heck, I drank I might as well keep on. To me it was still drinking. But I do understand the anxiety (and with me - irritability -- I keep throwing things). My doctor put my on anti-anxiety meds about a year ago that I take when needed (but cut-off when I started my drinking binge). I take the minimal dose I can to take the edge off. But still really ansty.

Got to go find some food!

Have a happy, safe and sober Saturday night all! WE'RE DOING IT
Old 07-09-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

hey everyone!

i hope you all doing well & enjoying your evening. i have had a busy day which is good

i went to the grocery store with the husband & i think that everyone there had a 30 pack of miller lites (my favorite). we also ran into some friends, who also had miller lite, ugh, & they asked us to come over tonight (no one knows how bad it has gotten except close family). i know i am way too new to this to go over, so we said no thanks & went to a movie.

here is to day 1 almost over & looking forward to day 2!! i am just hoping that this headache goes away & excited about waking up without a hangover!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

R4R, I did alright with my 5K time. I hadn't done a race in 2 years so I forgot to start off easy. The adrenaline was flowing and I started off way too fast!

Welcome, Boozefree, Irish Eyes and anyone else I missed!

VC, It sounds like you had a very busy and productive day!! Spag. and meatballs by 8:30 a.m.? Impressive!

I just got my Amazon order today; Under the Influence (which everyone talks about around here!) and The Easy Way to Stop Drinking by Alan Carr (recommended by a member here at SR). Looking forward to reading, learning, and being encouraged in this journey.

I hope you all have a great Saturday night!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Books Help...

Thank you so much for the book recommends Sarah! I just placed my Amazon order and also threw in "Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife" because it looked interesting when they profiled it on the Today show last week...I will keep you posted if it is any good!
Hope everyone is hanging in there tonight! Happy Sober Saturday!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Made it through last night without a problem and tonight should be the same way. Once Sunday comes around, the temptation to drink is much lower since I'm a weekend binge drinker. I'm just trying to sell myself on the long term commitment to abstinence. I have many 1-2 month periods of abstinence, but, without the weekly reminders of why I shouldn't drink, I tend to slowly let my guard down until I start the cycle over again and begin to experience the consequences.

Have any of you felt a recovery in memory and cognitive ability following a certain period of abstinence? I've been feeling some mild brain fog recently and haven't felt truly sharp since beginning the abuse of alcohol in my early 20s.