Notices

Class of July 2011

Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

How true Lark... society does seem irresponsible when doing things like that. But then again... so was I when I knew I was drunk and would get behind the wheel anyway - thinking 'oh, I'll okay' - stupidity at it's finest.

Day 2 starting here. Doing fine. Getting a little help from "above", me thinks

So totally we can do it! There's nothing stopping us, except us.... Keep reaching out everyone. This is a day for all of us to celebrate sobriety and LIFE without poison!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Wanted to wish you all good luck. Ignore the urges! They are not your friend - they want you to fail!

If you're anything like I was almost a year ago, your default reaction in all circumstances is DRINK!! If you do something, anything other than drink when the urge hits and it'll pass. Bonus points for learning new ways to deal with life in the process.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Day 3 here and feeling good. I am sleeping so much more soundly now. I used to rely upon the wine to fall asleep, but it guaranteed that I would be up at 5 or 6am (not by choice) and then have trouble falling back to sleep. That must have been the time that the alcohol was wearing off?

Now, I'm drinking my herbal tea, reading a good book, and going to bed at a reasonable time. What a difference good sleep makes in my life!

I hope you all have a great day and like SSIL75 said, we need to work through the desires/urges for a drink because they will pass and lessen with time.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

obsessing

Good job to fellow july classmates!
my quit day isn't until Sunday, but I've been practicing this past week. I woke up feeling pretty proud, thinking I've abstained more days than not. Upon further reflection realized not so...yet. still feeling good though, nights drinking aren't even close to past excesses, but still too much. I find myself bouncing between wanting to go all out these next few days and just get trashed to scaling back and liking it. The awareness is a wonderful thing. Im paying attention and making better choices. I realize that wont work in the long run. For now, I will not drink today.
peace!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Ceneri - Hope that works for you It did for me eventually... I kept setting dates, then they would pass and I'd still be drinking. Finally, after I said I was going to quit on the 4th and it didn't happen, I stopped on the 5th. I just got tired of the game. Getting any other plans in place - safeguards?

SSIL - No urges here! Fuzzy-headed and it feels like I want to smoke (which I haven't in 4 years), but I really think my God pulled me out of the quicksand once again... what a difference it's made to me to believe in something other than myself. Then again, it's made a big difference learning to believe in myself also - huh, imagine that

For me, I had great plans in place and wasn't ever going to drink again... then I just simply thought a drink would be ok (like a dweeb)... 5 weeks later, I'm hopefully wiser to the wiles alcohol and my own heart.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just checking in with a sober Day 2! Thanks for all the support here!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
cb1

here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

really4real, I can't tell you how many times I committed to not drinking again. This is how crazy this addiction is though;

I said the 4th weekend would be my last so I bought enough wine for the weekend. This would include Fri, Sat, Sun, nights and probably Mon. also since I would have been on a roll. So after my bottle of wine on Fri. night I decide I'm tired of it all and dump out $30+ dollars worth of wine. The next evening I ask my husband if he wouldn't mind picking up a bottle or two because I just want one or two more nights.

By the 4th I was worn out. Tired of feeling tired and dependent upon the liquid poison. So that is what brought me here again. It's a crazy game and it literally sucks the life out of those that play it!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

So true.... it DOES suck the life out of us. We're getting our lives back NOW
Old 07-06-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just swinging by to say I'm now on day 3. Slept so well last night, it was wonderful. Hope everyone is going strong and feeling good.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well, I guess I better get back on the bandwagon again. Had 12 days back last month before yet another relapse.

Really hoping that was my last relapse. I've said that before so I'll be spending the next week trying to figure out what I'm going to do differently this time.

Day 3 for me today by the way so I'm pretty much over the hangovers/sweats/hot-cold spells and dehydration. I still can't understand for the life of me why people put up with it (including myself for the past numerous years). Even for a weekend drinker like myself, I'd spend 3+ days a week feeling drained and detox'ing - nearly half my life.....
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad to see a new thread...good to be back to look in

Keep it up guys!

D
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Congrats to everyone who has made it through another day!

I almost didn't - very tired and emotionally drained not good combinations -- but I came straight home and am now drinking some Sleepytime Tea and will be going to be on Day 2 SOBER

Thanks for stopping in, Dee
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was fine too until after my workout. Why is it that I crave wine after a healthy workout? Habitual I guess. I had to go to the store too, but I refused the desire. Came home and filled the belly with water and lots of salty food. It seemed to do the trick.

Good to see you here, Dee! Take care of yourself.

Good night, all!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in at 4 days...which doesn't mean much since I'm a weekend binge drinker.

It's only Wednesday and the temptation is there. I'm getting invites to happy hours, parties, and other alcohol-based events.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Sobervic - it means a lot for you to be here and posting... you're trying. Just say NO! I know easier said than done. We're here for you... you can do it! I had to draw the line in the sand and say 'no farther' - it stops NOW. You can too! Maybe you can tell them you're not feeling well or something

Sarah - I used to crave beer after running... but that went away. I found something that I liked to drink afterwards and I found protein drinks to be helpful... made me think that I was replenishing my muscles with something good instead of dehydrating them even more.

Day 3

Have a happy sober Thursday!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Oh, by the way, I forgot to say that it's ok to be tempted - just don't give in... I had a heck of a time last night. Exhausted and foggy (from withdrawals) and emotionally a mess (from journaling some stuff) - was soooooo tempted to stop on the way home and grab at least a 24 oz or something -- I didn't.

We don't have to give in. It's not a friend. We can beat this!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome, sobervic! Wishing you the best this weekend.

R4R, Glad you got through your day w/o a drink. It feels good to be able to say no to the addict voice.

So glad I didn't give in to the desire for wine last night. Feel so good this morning! I'm running a 5K tomorrown so that should keep me focused in the right direction.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Ok I am so in too! I am hoping it will help to have the stories, advice and support of others who are in the early stages of quitting.
I am wondering... Has everyone relapsed? Of corse I have tried and tried to reduce and eliminate alcohol before but this is the first time I have really tried to make it permanent, told people and sought out support - like coming here. Is a relapse likely in your experiences?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I would love to join class of July! I am on Day 3 and my last drink was on July 4th...do I just to to reply to to this to join, or is there something else I need to do? Sorry, still learning how to navigate the site!