Blogs


Notices

first post, last drink (hopefully)

Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
filthrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 15
first post, last drink (hopefully)

I have been trolling the site for while and there seems to be genuine people here that want to help and care about each other. That is a beautiful thing.

I am an alcoholic and have been so for about 2 years. I never drank in high school or college and now I can't stop. It is killing my wallet and my babies even realize that daddy drinks. I am not a violent or ignorant drunk but I'm still a drunk and it has got to stop. I'm tired of being an addict, I'm tired of every time I get juice from the fridge for my kids they ask me "is this beer daddy". I'm just tired of being tired and this place is the best place that I can express myself without being judged. I know I can get through this, I just need a little help from the lord and anyone here. I had no idea that alcohol could have the effects that it does and my ignorance to that fact has gotten me in a really bad place.
filthrich is offline  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to filthrich For This Useful Post:
CeeFarro (06-22-2011), ChrissieB (06-23-2011), DJ1 (06-23-2011), grateful101010 (06-22-2011), least (06-23-2011), newstart75 (06-23-2011), Ranger (06-23-2011), topspin (06-22-2011), Tuesday24 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member
 
EmeraldRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: I'm exactly where I should be.
Posts: 1,889
Welcome filthrich. Today is a good day to quit.
No one does any judging here. We are all on the same journey but a different path.

Wishing you peace and strength.
EmeraldRose is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace
 
CarolD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Serene In Dixie
Posts: 36,741
Welcome to the posting side of our recovery community....

Many of us are winning over alcohol..and Yes! that can be true for you too...
Blessings to you and your family
CarolD is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dancing in the Light
Posts: 57,610
Hi and Welcome,

I'm so glad you have decided to live a sober life.
Anna is online now  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La La Land
Posts: 503
Hi! Welcome to SR!!

My main reason to get sober is my kid too. I believe that my child deserves a better parent than I was. I have deep regret about the things that I have done and the bottle calls me. I tell myself that eventually I will have to deal with my past and that the future can be beautiful.

Congrats and good luck
Tuesday24 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 202,392
Blog Entries: 1
Welcome to SR filthrich

D
Dee74 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member
 
Zebra1275's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,068
Welcome! Do you have a plan for quitting, maybe AA?
Zebra1275 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member
 
grateful101010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 284
Hey filthrich: Welcome. Keep coming back. I have 8 months sobriety after about 10 years of drinking alcoholically. I'm a working mom and wish I had done this years ago. It is so worth it. Alcoholism will kill you eventually, somehow, some way, if you don't stop while you still can. Fact. You're the only dad your kids will ever have.
grateful101010 is offline  
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member
 
recoverywfaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: God's Grace
Posts: 2,464
to SR
recoverywfaith is offline  
Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover
 
least's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SF Bay area, CA
Posts: 95,342
Blog Entries: 32
Welcome to the family.
least is online now  
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
filthrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 15
Thank you everyone!


Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
Hi! Welcome to SR!!

My main reason to get sober is my kid too. I believe that my child deserves a better parent than I was. I have deep regret about the things that I have done and the bottle calls me. I tell myself that eventually I will have to deal with my past and that the future can be beautiful.

Congrats and good luck
Thank you! After reading many posts here I know a life without the bottle will in fact be a better one.

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Welcome to the posting side of our recovery community....

Many of us are winning over alcohol..and Yes! that can be true for you too...
Blessings to you and your family
Thank you Carol!

Originally Posted by grateful101010 View Post
Hey filthrich: Welcome. Keep coming back. I have 8 months sobriety after about 10 years of drinking alcoholically. I'm a working mom and wish I had done this years ago. It is so worth it. Alcoholism will kill you eventually, somehow, some way, if you don't stop while you still can. Fact. You're the only dad your kids will ever have.
I appreciate the post. They are only 6 and 3 and I really need to enjoy this time with them.

I am happy to be a part of this forum.
filthrich is offline  
Old 06-23-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member
 
endlesspatience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,131
Welcome. I hope you'll find a lot of support here. Interesting that you say you weren't an ignorant drunk but a couple of sentences later you say you were ignorant about the effects of alcohol. I was the same. Thought I was smart but in fact I was very ignorant.

I've made it my job to learn and understand the disease. Life it a lot better as a result of that on many, many levels.
endlesspatience is offline  
Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant
 
instant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,711
Blog Entries: 7
Hi FR

What I was doing with the full knowledge of my kids was my greatest shame, it really affected our relationship. Today is day 38 and I am so grateful for how it is turning out with them. It is such a load off my mind now and whilst I knew it the havoc it was causing- it is only now I can see how the whole situation was so toxic- all caused by my drinking
instant is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to instant For This Useful Post:
grateful101010 (06-26-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member
 
ChrissieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 450
Welcome Filthrich
Brilliant that you are seeking out support, you will do this x
ChrissieB is offline  
Old 06-23-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
klg
Member
 
klg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ms
Posts: 22
Blog Entries: 1
Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
Hi! Welcome to SR!!

My main reason to get sober is my kid too. I believe that my child deserves a better parent than I was. I have deep regret about the things that I have done and the bottle calls me. I tell myself that eventually I will have to deal with my past and that the future can be beautiful.

Congrats and good luck
you are so right, I have 2 wonderful little boys, that I love deeply and when i drink I am mean, and do things I shouldnt
klg is offline  
Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
filthrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: maryland
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by instant View Post
Hi FR

What I was doing with the full knowledge of my kids was my greatest shame, it really affected our relationship. Today is day 38 and I am so grateful for how it is turning out with them. It is such a load off my mind now and whilst I knew it the havoc it was causing- it is only now I can see how the whole situation was so toxic- all caused by my drinking
Wow. I understand that one. Since they are young I can not plant that seed that may grow into mayhem. Seeing me pour drink after drink and become more and more impatient-day after day-week after week-could have long term damaging effects to a child. At least that's the way I see it.

Originally Posted by klg View Post
you are so right, I have 2 wonderful little boys, that I love deeply and when i drink I am mean, and do things I shouldnt
I get mean too. I don't beat my children, but lord knows my grandmom whupped my butt many-a-time. and sometimes my boy gets real close. But he's 3 and all boy. At the end of the day they just don't deserve that, When I'm sober I'm much more tolerant and a better father.
filthrich is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to filthrich For This Useful Post:
grateful101010 (06-26-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: midsouth
Posts: 2,331
Welcome!

Originally Posted by filthrich View Post
Seeing me pour drink after drink and become more and more impatient-day after day-week after week-could have long term damaging effects to a child. At least that's the way I see it.
Yes.

When I'm sober I'm much more tolerant and a better father.
Remember this.

TB.
thirtybubba is offline  
Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: dayton, oh
Posts: 487
Welcome
We are so glad you are here.
SH
stanleyhouse is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 PM.