I'm a newbie

Old 05-28-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....
Old 05-28-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lost sheep

got through day 2 and even turned down a glass of wine at a function with no problem at all. Glad to have my water bottle with me with lemon. Eating has helped a bit.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Lostsheep,

My first day without alcohol was Saturday, May 21st. I participated in a 5k and about halfway theough felt a migraine coming on. I didn't drink that night, and the migraine lasted four days, causing two trips to the doctor to receive shots. I actually missed a day of work. Wednesday I started feeling better, and still haven't had a drink.

My kids are young 3 (almost 4), 6, and 7. I know that I have not been as attentive as I should be many days, and will admit there were times I tried to rush them to bed so I could drink. I felt like it was time that was owed to me after working all day and then the nightly rituals of homework, baths and stories. There were nights I decided lets skip a story and you can watch a little more tv. I know they deserve better, and I want them to see their mom as someone to look up to. I am working on that.

I think my husband still thinks this is some kind of phase I am going through. He is a good husband, and a great dad, but he could definitely cut back on his alcohol intake as well. Maybe this will help inspire him.

Glad I found you. Hope it was a good day!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
lost sheep

Mubu-Even when I was not a drinker I was not always as attentive as "I" believed I shoudl have been; busy cooking, cleaning, packing up baby bags, and doing everything I could not do during the day a/c work. We are human. I've had pschologists tell me that a child is not going to suffer by missing a few stories. Feed them, hug and kiss them, guide them with bath, school and responsibility drill and they'll be resilient and you were still there. There have been many times when I just was not into the mommy thing; story, h.w wars, etc. Kids learn a little from it...how to be independent. But, now we're both in recovery we can be there more, althoguh there are still going to be times when we need a break, we have a headache, we have a bill that is stressing us out. Give yourself some credit. What's weird is that I was more mommyish when I was drinking- it calmed me down, and then it was overkill. They actually told me to back off. lol. Of course mine are older and they don't want to be babied, and really only want the occasional talk, but are happy watching a favorite t.v show with me or knowing that I am proud of the recipe they tried. Our kids will survive and if anything learn a little independence. I will admit though, I have a 10 yr old who seems to need a lot of entertaining and she gets a lot of attention...but admittadly am glad she had sleep overs this weekend.

I made it through day 3 and working on day 4. last night was weird. Hot flashes, tossing and turning and then waking up with major headache. I also resorted to candy and sweet soda pop last night and stayed up late.

Good for you and the days you've made it through. Each second, min, day, etc is all we can ask for. I'm not sure what my husband is thinking since he is sick with flu. He was very supportive when I announced to him that I needed help and that all I wanted was his backing. maybe he is afraid of the changes that will arise since I am no longer drinking. Ihope he would prefer a non drinker since I noticed that the last several months I could not get into dinners...free for alls I called them. Actually made home made chicken soup last night, of course with 2 teenagers and sick husband, no one at it but me. Maybe all of the laundry will get done, as opposed to bits and peices. lol.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome lostsheep. Congratulations on your few days....I have 4 kids and drank for 30 years. Oldest just turned 29 -so all their lives I drank to some extent. I can never rewind the tape to change it so I concentrate on the future and do the best I can now -4 months sober. Husband and I separated last August so I'm on my own...(Yay!)
I am basically getting to know myself as a person -instead of a mother or wife. It is very enlightening.
You said...I am scared about who I will turn into when I quit though.
I was more worried about who I turned into when I drank. I was so used to that person, used to the habits, the comfortability, the repetition of it all. She was out of control and I didn't like her anymore. It is such a nice change to be someone I can live with, someone I can respect..someone I like. You will be who you are inside...nothing less.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Lostsheep,

Congratulations on getting to Day 4!! I feel like I did when I was training for a marathon, then I was proud every time I added a mile, now I am proud every day I don't drink! I started to feel better between days five and six, so hopefully that is tomorrow for you.

I am impressed that you made chicken soup, I am sure everyone will appreciate it later tonight or tomorrow. I need to take your advice on giving myself a break in the mommy area, just always feel like there is something that I didn't get to, and that will probably always be the case.

I started today at the gym, and then went to a friend's house for a playdate with the kids. Exercise definitely helps keep my mind clear, and it is nice not feeling hungover in the middle of the class. I am glad your husband has been supportive, the more support the better!

Enjoy the rest of your night! Looking forward to continuing this journey together!
Mubu