Notices

trying but always failing

Old 05-30-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy trying but always failing

the easiest way for me to put this is i have gotten away for awhile, but it always comes back .Drinking for me is what seems to make everything better for the night atleast then i have to deal with it worse the next day. I dont feel comfortable with AA meeting but im determinded to beat this somehow. My typical week goes like this most weeks:
Mon- Thurs Drink atleast a six pack 2 of the nights sometimes after i run out i go to the bar for more unless i can beat the craving and go to sleep.

Fri- I usually go to the bar and drink alot. the next day is hell i have horrible hangovers where my emtions are all over the place.

Sunday i try to get it in my head again that i need to get away from drinking and then the next weeks comes.

This is not to mention all the stupid things that happen sometimes when i drink. Which i end up feeling more stupid an ashamed then i have ever felt
Im tired of telling my family and girlfriend im gonna quit and then i do good for a week and i screw up again. I dont want to be this person i have become but every time i get a chance to get away i screw it up. Wheter its coming hiome from work wanting to de-stress, hanging out with friends, feeling lonely (yes theres my gf but sometimes she isnt here),

I look back so many times an i cant beleiev this is what i do with alchohol i am the kind of person i hate.

Im posting bc i want to be done i want to leave this all behind me i can can never seem to if anyones got ideas or advice please let me know.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA is your best bet, tell us why this is not an option for you. Welcome.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

shroudedlife, hello and welcome,

I can relate to the emotional hangovers. They are the worse and last longer than the physical ones. I also can relate to the self-loathing and confusion.

So, it looks like you are in the right place and you will find much support here. However, finding support outside the internet is also good decision. Here is a link with some information on various recovery programs.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Bests,

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
AA is your best bet, tell us why this is not an option for you. Welcome.
I am in AA and would recommend it to him, but I realize that there are many paths to recovery and no one way is the best.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Many of us have stopped drinking using various methods and you can do this too.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

feeling lonely (yes theres my gf but sometimes she isnt here)

If you drink because you're feeling lonely, and whether you feel lonely or not is dependent upon your girlfriend, you've got a problem brewing. If your girlfriend decides to leave you, what are you going to do?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

I sure hope you will soon stop and begin a sober future...
Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA honestly makes me feel really uncomfortable whether it is the higher power aspect which feel like thier saying god without using spherics. Ive been to a couple and everytime i start sweating and feeling panicky.

With my girlfriend it feels like she has kept me from completely screwing myself. this past weekend i had a taste of her not being here bc she is outta town and i let myself go with drinking and "having fun" . As much as a part of me liked it , im scared that is the life i will have without her and it looks like a deep dark path.

I want to feel okay without drinking and not just when im hung over and im an emotional mess
Old 05-30-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR.

There are many recovery programs out there. There is a link to some of the various recovery programs out there in one of the earlier replies to your thread.

AA happens to be the one that works for me. It did take some work to get past the "God" concept and realize that all I had to do was believe that there is a Power Greater than myself out there. Electricity is a power greater than myself, a tornado is a power greater than myself so why would I not believe that there is a Power Greater than myself that can help me stop drinking?

But if you can't get past the "God" concept then please try a different recovery program. There is one out there for everyone at least that is what I believe. The main thing is that you find a way to stop drinking not what program you use to do it.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR shroudedlife

like people have said, there are many ways to recovery - the common ingredient in all of them though I think is action from you, and reaching out for support when you need it.

I hope you'll keep postying here.

I never thought I could turn things around in my life - but with the help and guidance of people here I did

D
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm staying sober with the help of this site and my addiction counselor. There are lots of ways to stay sober. Find what works for you and give it your all.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Drinking for me is what seems to make everything better for the night atleast then i have to deal with it worse the next day.
I can relate - I always picked up a drink thinking I could somehow manage it or escape the hangover, but it was always the same old misery. The hangovers only got worse, too.

I had to revamp my pleasure/pain attitude.....
Alcohol = a little pleasure now, whole lotta pain later (the list is endless)
Sobriety = a little pain/action/work now, but a huge reward (again, the list is endless)

Glad you're reaching out for some support - most of us can't stay sober on our own. Keep reading and posting!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was just talking to my husband about this today. I'm always trading--tonight for tomorrow. At night I think it's a great idea. The next day, not so much.