Notices

revealing I'm an alcoholic?

Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hmm well I just say I don't feel like a drink thanks , some friends say they are allergic ...and its between you and a HP perhaps and a sponsor. I simply don't find hanging around where people are drinking my thing right now and so I don't really face the question often.

The term alcoholic is so misunderstood that unless you are one or work closely with them , people do not understand and a lot of old and dated opinions come into play. Blum etal have done amazing research yet its still in its infancy and though alcohol kills millions , the funding for research faces these old uninformed bias positions on morality and other silly notions

This won't change overnight and may never change as well even some heavy drinkers who are not alcoholic can't understand why an alcoholic simply stop mid binge or during a run of use. They can but they are not alcoholics.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would reccomend to table this concern. The reason is, as you go on your journey in recovery you will be able to handle this with literally no problem. Early on we try and force many issues. This was one I definitely tried to force.

Just remember that more is revealed as we stay sober. Your thoughts / feelings today regarding this topic will change, as you change. My opinion is, less is more on this topic. Tell the people that you really need to, and don't worry about the people that are a bit more distant. It can be as easy as "I'm just not drinking today". You don't have to add anything more if you don't want to.

I see so many people get hung up on this topic, when we get hung up we start feeling discontent, when we feel discontent we look for a solution, when we're alcoholic our old solution is alcohol. My point here is guard your sobriety carefully and don't let an issue like this get you off track.

I wish you the best!!!