Notices

Hi...

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Jil and congratulations on 4 days!! There's a lot of us out there who couldn't control our drinking - you're certainly not alone! And you're so smart to face this now - it really only gets worse......

I didn't develop a problem until my mid thirties, but when I did it was hard to stop. Get all the support you can. I lean on this forum a lot. Just coming here every day and reading keeps me motivated.

At first, things seemed strange without alcohol and the obsession was still there, but it got better. It will for you too. And we all do care - because we remember exactly how it felt.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

Hey Jil!
I'm a 21 year old college student. I am also an alcoholic. I'm on my 11th day sober. It's hard to see others drinking. It's frustrating to feel like you're missing out on a good time. But those other people will get up in the morning and get on with their business. I know if I drink, I will get drunk and if I get drunk, there's a good chance I'll wake up the next morning and continue drinking regardless of my responsibilities.

We have to keep in mind that most of our peers like to have a few beers and that's it. They may like to get drunk sometimes, but not like us. Turns out drinking isn't as important to them as it seems.

My friends say the same things yours do. "Stop for a month or so, then limit yourself to a few drinks every now and then. You just need more willpower." Or, "Only let yourself get drunk once a week." I also know that for me, this is not possible. If I try to control myself, I'll be right back where I was or worse in no time. Thing is, they just can't understand this so surround yourself with people that do. And a lot of people our age do!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Jil

I keep thinking about the future. I know I should take it day by day, but it's hard. I constantly think about what I'll be missing out. Even though I know I can do everything anyone else does, without drinking, it just seems like life will be less fun. But I have to keep looking at how for every 10 times of being black out drunk I am, there is one time where I actually remember then night. So really, how much fun am I having? I just feel confused right now, and sad. I wish my drinking wasn't different from others.. but it is. I'm slowly accepting that. But it's very difficult.