Notices

First meeting done

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First meeting done

I went to my very first AA meeting. I got half way there and thought about going back home. I am so glad I didnt. Last Friday of the month they have food and fellowship followed by a speaker. First I met Frank. Sweetest guy in the world! He is 42 years sober. Nothing I said made him even bat an eye. He introduced me around and then told me to sit with the ladies. They were so nice. Sincerely nice people. The speaker blew me away. He was brutally honest. Im used to people being honest when talking about OTHER PEOPLE not when talking about their own problems.

Three women gave me their numbers. I am going to a "step" meeting tomorrow with one. Then I promised Frank I would come to the beginners class Monday night. He was pretty adamant about it. Love that guy.

I bought 2 books: Alcoholics Anonymous (big blue book) and 12 steps and 12 traditions. Frank said its the best $14.50 I will ever spend. He carries his "big" book in a leather cover.

Oh yeah I got a card too and told everyone my name. I forgot that afterward I am supposed to say "and Im an alcoholic" I dont know the routine yet.

I was so afraid of knowing someone there. Well I knew 2. A teacher from high school and one of my customers. Oh also there was a guy that came in from a shift at the hospital. he was still in his scrubs and an attorney who does DUI work for AA members for free. He refuses payment because he says its part of "his program"

I feel like I might just get through this now.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats great news B! :

D
Old 02-25-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good first experience with AA. It took me a little while to find a group I was comfortable with, but once you find it, it's a great support.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a wonderful experience!!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! I just got my Big Book and '12 Steps and 12 Traditions' too! I'm excited to read them and live the wisdom they contain! I like how your friend Frank said it's the best $14.50 you'll ever spend! Awesome!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post

Three women gave me their numbers. I am going to a "step" meeting tomorrow with one. Then I promised Frank I would come to the beginners class Monday night. He was pretty adamant about it. Love that guy.
Read "the Doctors Opinion" in the Big book and write down any questions you have and ask them of the lady you are going to the meeting with. If she can't answer them ask frank on monday. (or you can post them here in the 12 step forum)
Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

See? Wasn't too bad, ey? Good for you!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Frank was happy to see me. He was also suprised. He thought I would back out! LOL Anyway, he told me first thing that the meetings are ANONYMOUS..then he said "except for me because everyone knows im an alcoholic" He was so funny
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excellent, OklaBH! Meetings are a safe place. I'm glad you went and plan to go back. You'll find some peace and some real wisdom in those rooms. And a lot of meetings can be pretty fun/funny!
At first I worried about running into people I knew, too. But then I realized that if they were there and I was there then we were there for the same reason. So even if it was a co-worker... no worries!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! Good for you! Congrats. Making me smile.

Peace,
Missy
Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Re:first meeting done.

Keep going OklaBH and never, ever look back.

~God Bless~
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so tickled for you.....Congratulations.....

We don't stay anonymous to other members
Some groups announce
'It's ok to say you were here...it's not ok to say I was"
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm very happy you had a good experience. Whatever it takes to stay off the alcohol, that's what you need to do. And AA has been known to help lots and lots of people. I hope your next meeting goes just as well.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ronf View Post
Thank you

NOPE! Thank you nosey ron!:ghug3
Old 02-26-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL,

There are times I just LOVE saying, "I told you so."

If I were you, I'd get cracking on those first 164 pages of the BB. That's where ALL you really NEED to know is found.

Glad you had such a great meeting.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went to my very first AA meeting. I got half way there and thought about going back home. I am so glad I didnt. Last Friday of the month they have food and fellowship followed by a speaker. First I met Frank. Sweetest guy in the world! He is 42 years sober. Nothing I said made him even bat an eye. He introduced me around and then told me to sit with the ladies. They were so nice. Sincerely nice people. The speaker blew me away. He was brutally honest. Im used to people being honest when talking about OTHER PEOPLE not when talking about their own problems.

I bought 2 books: Alcoholics Anonymous (big blue book) and 12 steps and 12 traditions. Frank said its the best $14.50 I will ever spend. He carries his "big" book in a leather cover.

Oh yeah I got a card too and told everyone my name. I forgot that afterward I am supposed to say "and Im an alcoholic" I dont know the routine yet.

I was so afraid of knowing someone there. Well I knew 2. A teacher from high school and one of my customers. Oh also there was a guy that came in from a shift at the hospital. he was still in his scrubs and an attorney who does DUI work for AA members for free. He refuses payment because he says its part of "his program"

Hello,

Very nicely done. Im in the same shoes you were before you went. Im thinking of letting my gaurd down and step into the room. I got goose bumps after reading your post. RIght on!

WSTS
Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

OklaBH I did the same thing last night. Just so you know you're not the only one that slips up I can't wait to learn all the ins and outs too.

You will and you'll also find that the women are some of the best people you ever meet in your life! I'm so proud of you for following through.

Do you feel kind of silly for being so scared now? Funny isn't it. Just when you're thinking this is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. You walk out thinking I could not be happier that I've done this. At least that's how I felt after my first meeting. I had a spring in my step that I hoped would never go away.

God speed 'lil girl. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just FYI, there is no "rule" that says you have to add "and I'm an alcoholic" when you give your first name. It's customary, for sure, but I know people who say, "and I'm powerless over alcohol," or don't say anything at all.

I just wanted to clear that up, because I know some people considering going to AA who resist because they don't like the TERM "alcoholic". If it doesn't feel honest to you to say it, you don't have to.

You are whatever you are, whatever you call yourself. What's important is to go and listen and see where you can identify with others when they talk about their drinking. If you do, AA has a solution that works.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

You're my hero of the day!