Notices

Lurker here..FINALLY I registered!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Yah, i can relate. I had to give up some of my friends too just cause they still drink or do drugs. I've met new friends through AA though and I know they're friends cause some people i used to know would only hang out with me if i had booze or pot.... so you're from Wyoming...brrrr...I can't stand the cold. I guess I'm a spoiled California native.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! So glad you've joined us. I've been trying for three years to quit drinking and just next month will have one year!! I didn't 'get it' right off the bat and have struggled thru the last two years. But lemmetellya, my sobriety has opened up a whole new wonderful life for me. I still have the same problems, but I handle them a lot better sober. No more waking up sick as a dog and hating myself - nosirree!

I too tried valiantly to 'moderate' my drinking for the last two years, over and over, without success. Finally the light bulb in my head came on and I had a moment of clarity: I CAN'T moderate!! Only way for me is to give it up altogether... and this last year has been one of great joy.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome MsCooter!! So glad you found us!
Its a very supportive and informational forum.
I also tried to moderate. Sure, I could do it if I tried really hard, but as soon as I relaxed about it, my alcoholism snuck right back up on me, and I ended up drinking to blackouts. Not cool.
So I decided that after thinking about it for a few months, that I'd go to a meeting. Best thing I ever did.
Hope to see ya around!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome MsCB, good luck on your journey. There are a lot of amazing people here to help.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks to all...Woke up at 5AM. Went to sleep at 2AM. Not sure what is up with that but made a pot of coffee (grind my own beans...LOVE the aroma) and now that it is light outside I see we have fog. I love fog too! Usually it burns off quickly and I think the reason that I love it is that it is not a common thing for where I live. I find it mystical! Will do the crossword puzzle that is in the paper. I am hoping it makes my shrunken brain come back. That really hit me. I never knew alcohol actually shrinks your brain after yrs of abuse. I wish I could get a brain scan. I bet I have a dysfunctional lobe all lit up. Not sure what color would show up for addiction but would love to have one now..then one in maybe 2 yrs to see if it would change. Anyway..love my wkends off. I like staying in my jammers as long as I want to. Don't get to do that with my work schedule except on weekends. Hope everyone has a good day..I got some message last night that said I couldn't respond to a thread until I am a member for 7 days..we will see if I can post this.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

welcome MCB I just joined yesterday and am on Day 2! Like you I have had sober periods when a party or get together and other people happily controlling their couple drinks make me think I can also moderate, but then it is downhill from there! Glad you decided to de-lurk!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Glad to hear your feeling good today. Fresh coffee sounds delish right now. What I've heard about the alcohol shrinking the brain is that it is drying out. Alcohol obviously dehydrates us, so what I've been told rhata what if sort of does to our brain. So where is it that your from that fog isn't that common. I'm out here on the lovely away coast, California to be exact, and we get fog all the time. Gets very annoying if you have to drive in it. It's not that bad here where I live but my aunt lives in the central valley and you can cut through that fog with a knife. So did you get pretty well acquainted with SR? Last night you seemed like a kid on Christmas morning, excited.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes John. I have been very excited for awhile. I am looking around..lots of good posts and personalities here. I bet it will take me days to go see all the different locations on this site that I want to see. I guess I never gave myself a chance to kill off the alky side and let the me come out. I am very optimistic. Been thru the emotional days and I am sure more will pop up. I like crying. hahaha...I like laughing about my crying. It is just too hard to explain. I may be a nutbird but I am a sober nutbird now. Plan on keeping it that way. How is your day goin?