Notices

agnostics

Old 11-09-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have similar concerns about the potential religious aspects of AA. I decided to just check it out and see it for myself. I've been to a handful of meetings, but I haven't started working the steps and I'm still deciding if I will. In my experience, some people mention God/religion and some people don't. My last meeting was an open speaker meeting and I don't remeber God being mentioned at all during the meeting. At the end, the group gathered for the Lord's Prayer, but it was optional. I didn't join in nor was I made to feel like an ousider. If you are curious, it might make sense to see for yourself and if the religious aspect (or AA itself) will work for you. That is my plan. Good luck.

P.S. - I find just listening to the speakers and being around other alcoholics very helpful and the speakers always leave me with something to think about.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I knew someone whose higher power was the ocean, 'cause it was so much bigger than she and had the power to take her very life. I can understand that totally.

You don't have to create your own higher power, just believe in something, anything that's greater than yourself. That's how I see it anyway...
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
31/10/10

We covered this in our meeting last night (join next time ) and read Step 2, where the newcomer struggles with the concept of God / HP. And this is what I found helpful.

" First, Alcoholics Anonymus does not demand that you believe anything. All of its Twlve Steps are but suggestions. Second, to get sober and to stay sober, you don't have to swallow all of Step Two right now.(....)Third, all you really need is a truly open mind "

(from the 12 Steps & Traditions, Step2)

Vee
Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I had a struggle with this too.

I "used" my dog as my Higher Power for a bit, then I turned to the feeling I get when I'm in the mountains. The mountains are definitely greater than myself!

Oh, and WELCOME!!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow guys. i have to say when i came home today and saw the sheer number of heartfelt, though-out responses people took the time to leave, that alone gave me the courage to go to my first ever meeting tonight. I thought of all of you guys when i was standing outside the door trying to talk myself out of going inside. Just having the guts to step into that room was a HUGE deal for me. Thank you.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by epochd
Wow guys. i have to say when i came home today and saw the sheer number of heartfelt, though-out responses people took the time to leave, that alone gave me the courage to go to my first ever meeting tonight. I thought of all of you guys when i was standing outside the door trying to talk myself out of going inside. Just having the guts to step into that room was a HUGE deal for me. Thank you.
That's amazing!!

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right, in that this place is a lifeline.

Murray
Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by VeeTee View Post
All of its Twelve Steps are but suggestions.
Well, that's kinda true....the problem is they're the only suggestions the program has. I guess it's also "suggested" that an alcoholic get recovered, happy, joyous and free.....but it's not mandatory. You're welcome to stay angry, restless, irritable and discontent if you want to.

Like Keith stated, step 2 gets reeeeeal easy when I fully accept, to my innermost self, the first step. Once I believe, deep down, that I'm truly an alcoholic....once I believe, deep down, that my life is unmanageable when I'm running it..... all the rest of the steps get really easy to swallow.

As long as I thought I might not really be an alcoholic or (just as damning) as long as I thought I could manage my own life.......I didn't "need" a power greater than myself. Being honest, when I think I'm the best manager of my life, I don't believe there IS any power greater than me - as it relates to managing my own life.

See.....my biggest problem with step 2 was I signed myself up to be God. I was the manager, I was the ruler, I made the decisions in my life, I controlled my life, I ran the show. My problem wasn't really with the second step, it was with the first step. I thought of myself as my own God (because I was in control of everything) and if I'm God, there isn't any room for any other God's. And since I'm my own God, I "should" be able to manage my own life which means it's not unmanageable..... and if it's manageable, then it's just a matter of time before I figure this drinking issue out too...

The problem was.....I never was able to figure it out or straighten it out. And my life, well, curiously enough, it seemed to keep getting more and more painful. Can't control my drinking + life getting worse = powerless over alcohol and I'm a crappy manager of my own life. If I believe I can't control my booze and can't run my own life.....then I darn well better find SOMETHING that can.......and it's going to have to be a power greater than me because another power equal to me will get me the same results I've managed to get on my own. I don't have to know what that power is, how it works, or even understand it right off the bat.......I just have to understand that I'M not that power...

And if that's too much at first.....the BB asks us if we're even "willing to believe" that there is a power greater than ourselves, if you're willing to consider it...to believe that there might be a power greater than you......you've made a great start.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first meeting...it makes me so happy when I see the difference SR makes in peoples lives. The fact that we can inspire one another is so amazing. Maybe for the purposes of recovery SR can be my HP:-)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

So excited for you that you went to your first meeting. I'm not going to even ask if you liked it, because you don't have to like it (at first), you just have to go and keep on going. I hated meetings when I first got sober four plus years ago. I hated the fact that I even had to be there, but I DID have to he there. And the program works if you work it.

(My problem is that I stopped "working it," and relapsed nine months ago--for nine months of experimental and totally miserable "controlled" drinking--and am now on Day 17, soon to be Day 18.)

I, too, have issues (still) with the God thing. I do believe in a power greater than myself, because that power (for me) is evidenced in the people in those rooms and the people on SR. Most of the time, this works for me, but I do have to constantly remind myself that i am definitely a train wreck every time I try to wrestle that power back into my own corner and run the show myself. I need the fellowship of AA. I feel I will never get the God thing--or understand why I am so resistant to it--but I DO know that I am powerless over alcohol and that my life can quickly become unmanageable if I start drinking again.

I'm struggling right now, but I stay close to the program by going to meetings, talking to my sponsor every night, and working the steps.

Best to you, and remember that every day sober is a victory!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Dismember

Wonderful! Glad you went!

And if you find AA to be something helpful, something you could make a regular habit of, then you'll figure out a lot of the details in time. I've been going for years and I'm still learning what it means for me.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Epochd: I've been right where you are,precisely! Having the same reservations about AA which you have. Many of the issues are related to AA's history and Bill W's early association with the Oxford Movement. Updating the program has been cautious and at times controversial, at least to some. Although I am not an agnostic or atheist I was fortunate to find an agnostics meeting and this helped immensely in my recovery of 22 years. Due to the the pluralistic nature of AA, there are many meetings all having a somewhat different character and tone. Good luck to you in finding a meeting which fits your needs!

W.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Epoched - I'm so happy you had the courage to walk in there...
I felt the fact that I managed to get into a meeting was due to a power greater than myself. Something that humbled me to admit that I was in a mess (I would never admit that).

Vee