Notices

New here and Day 1

Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and Day 1

Hi,
This is probably my 1,000th day one, but I am determined to make it work this time. I'm very close to loosing everything if I do not stop drinking. I have two small children that need me to be a responsible parent. I can't do that drunk at night and hungover during the day.
I think I've read every recovery book, so now is the time to put it in place!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Reading books is good but have you ever been to a meeting?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hopeful, it's my 'day one' also.
This forum and the people in it have gotten me to past 7pm without a drink.

I hope you find strength here also
(Heck, I managed a smile!)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome HopefulSpirit
Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I hope this can be your last day One.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome!
Zebra, I have not been to a meeting. I have researched and printed out meeting times/places. But, I have never found the courage to actually go to a meeting.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hopeful Spirit

I agree with you it's time to put things in action - I used to confuse reading with action...it's not...it's preliminary research

I know you'll find a lot of support here too

Welcome!
D
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ditto on all the others but especially GodPowered and going to a meeting. See if you always do things the way you always have, it is insane to expect different results. Do everything that has worked for others - try making different choices if you want to break your 1000 day one losing streak. We all have been there, and the breakthrough always comes when we stop doing it the way that didn't work the last time. Being here is a good start! Good for you!

"Dependent people need others to get what they want. Independent people can get what they want through their own efforts. Interdependent people combine their own efforts with the efforts of others to achieve their greatest success." -- Stephen Covey
Old 11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am also on my day 1. I have been reading this board for months and finally think I have to take some positive action. Drinking is really starting to have some very negative effects on my health. So I'm with yah! I dont think I will hit a meeting today though, Im really feeling quite sick and am only trying to keep some gatorade down to help rehydrate.
Hang in there!!
Anything is better than feeling like this over and over again.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, day one is done! Although, that has never been too difficult for me. It's usually around the 3-5 day range that I pour the glass of wine. I did not make it to a meeting but I am not ruling out the possibilty. I did start a journal. I need to remember how horribble I felt yesterday. Whenever the wave to drink come over me I am writing down a stupid thing I have done or said while drinking. This should take me a while to get them all down!
Thanks for all the support! I do apprecite it!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and good for you for deciding to take action.

Books were absolutely my saviour in the early days of recovery. I also think that journalling is a great idea.

And, there is lots of support here at SR.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm the mom of two small kids too. Doesn't it break your heart to think of the life they deserve, rather than the one they have? No, not abuse or neglect, but it could be so much better, right? I'm right there with you. Here's hoping we can both make it stick this time.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Starting, I watch them sleep sometimes and my heart breaks to know what I am putting them through. Rushing them off to bed so I can drink a glass of wine or worse, putting a cartoon on to put them to sleep. Breaking promises because I have a hangover.
It has to stick this time. I have really slipped into a dangerous zone when drinking now. I'm afraid the next time could be my last.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the club. I'm a mother who right now is losing everything. Please avoid this by any means possible. It's more horrible than I ever could have imagined. Vodka is not my life. My life has been here all along and as the saying goes, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. I'm not trying to be pessimistic -- but I do want you to encourage you.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((Hopeful))) and every one else in the early stages of recovery - Welcome to SR!!

I think journaling, and remembering why you're choosing to quit, are good. I've got 3-1/2 years clean, but I still vividly remember what got me to the point of choosing recovery. It helped, a lot, when I was in early recovery to pull up those memories....why I didn't want to go back to that life.

SR has been a huge part of my recovery, too. There's always someone here to offer support, and even the ones who slip, relapse, and come back - they remind me that it doesn't get better if you go back out.

You never have to go through "day one" again...recovery's not easy, but it is SO worth it!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Hopeful! Glad you're making a decision to be free from this awful addiction. Remember that YOU deserve it just as much as your kids! Get all the support you can and be good to yourself. Things will get better!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
xuse

welcome
Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Welcome Hopeful - I have tons of books on alcholism and recovery (always hid them under my bed). They were interesting but just didn't kick me into action.

It took a lot of courage to go to AA, and I sniffled and blubbed through my first meeting. Reading books by people who have been through this is helpful - but being in the same room with them, seeing and hearing them speak them is unbelievable. This has given me so much hope.

vee
Old 11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Go to AA please. It is just so nice to sit and listen and become fast friends with people from all walks of life who understand exactly how you feel.
Also, here on SR, read, read, read!!!! It is FULL of inspiration, hope, advice and support.
No question is stupid, in fact has probably been asked already.
Give this your best shot everyone.
We are all in this together.
"A rising tide lifts all boats"
Look at alcoholism and newcomers to recovery Forums first. :day6
Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Hope! You have plenty of support here and there is tons of info and experience available to you.

Glad you are with us.