Class of November 2010

Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good day everyone

D
Old 11-20-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Hello, everyone. Two Saturday mornings in a row with no hangover. Can't believe how good it feels. Weekends are tough but so much more rewarding once you get through through them. Have a great day SR friends.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Good morning class and everyone else!

It's a beautiful Sat morning. This is Day 7. I had a great night's sleep.

No hangover, clear head. I could get used to this! hahaha

Thanks for your support, you are good people.

-SD
Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Way to go Sd, glad you made it to today. Nice job!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Saturday All,
Congrats to coop (my fellow western pa'er) and sds on days 7 and 8! Glad you made it through your difficult time chebella. So how was the movies sds and wts? VeeTee, how was your meeting. I tried a couple AA meetings in the summer, I'm getting ready to try again. Maybe if I had stuck with them I wouldn't have slipped on day 112 in Sept...and another vt would still be in my life. I digress, sorry...I really am getting over her.
Anyway, I am about to pack for my weekly overnight with my Dad. He is final stage Alzheimer's. The past few years I made this journey an easy reason to booze escape. When I was feeling particularly sorry for myself, I would stop for a couple martini's on the way there. Mostly I would stop at a local bar on the way home and close the place on Sunday night. However, even though just 22 days sober now, I have the strength and I get the consequences. I'm on this sober journey for the long haul...and it is so wonderful to have all these new friends form SR to travel with.
Carlos
Old 11-20-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Day 3 no adderall , no benzos, no fun .. the depression is killing me. I'm an at home dad
with newborn to care for. Alone all day. I just want to run away some where and hide.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hang in there Scruffy...that situation would be hard for anyone. Just think of that "clean-slate" new little life you are taking care of
Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

trying hard to focus on things that need to be done in the house today, but this is the time on Saturdays, if I am home, that I usually start "self-medicating" to deal with some home issues, which ironically enough usually stem from some of my "self-medicating"!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

ok guys, I had a little little slip this afternoon.
As I went for a hike with my mother ( seperated from my dad since 7w), we walked into my dad with his new lover. Painfull!!!
So we walked into the first bar for a wine and a ciggie. Only 1 though and we each went our own way after that- I could have done better, but also a lot worse-

Happy home now and chilling. Going to study a bit, exam next week.
Hope you are all doing better then me, but it is what it is for now.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I remember my early sobriety was rough chebella - life doesn't stop presenting it's challenges. The thing I tried to remember is every time I resorted to drinking - whether it was a glass or a litre - I was clinging to my old life, my old way of response...and that kind of response got me nowhere.

It's difficult to respond differently and not drink - but every time we do, it gets easier

D
Old 11-20-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I am just really happy that I managed to get both of us out of the café. Only 1 glass to absorve the shock...
I feel a bit stupid and ashamed but ok, at least I did not start on Cuba-libre's because I cannot stop drinking on those!

staying in again!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Hi Scruffy - hang in there, I hope you're feeling better already. And purpelilly - same feeling here: there is just so much stuff in my real and personal house I have neglected it drives me nuts nuts nuts.

Off to a meeting soon.

After 3 weeks I am already forgetting how bad I really felt when drinking. I need to remind myself of the remorse, the pain, the shame and how desperate I was looking for a solution. And, most importantly I need to remind myself that for me, there is no such thing as just one drink.

AA is helping to keep me focused.

vee
Old 11-20-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Administrator

play that tape through to the end guys...

Push past those rose-tinged memories. Noone would be here if drinking was great for us.
D
Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

You got it Dee! Absolutely.

play it all the way through...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, some great advice here, I'm doing well, day 19 and my main problem is sleep!! obviously been using the booze to knock myself out now i find i'm having one fantastic nights sleep and the next i sleep for 2-3 hours soundly then ping wide awake, i've stopped cat napping to try and help but once i'm up that's me, any advice, i've tried to change my routine, read and have hot milk or drinking chocolate for my supper.

Nawneet
Old 11-20-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Administrator

I took me a while to get into a regular sleeping habit Nawneet. I always direct folks here
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

tho to be honest I just waited it out

D
Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Nawneet, you could try taking melatonin before bed for a couple weeks. If you're not familiar with it, it's the neurochemical that the hypothalamus releases to make you sleepy at the same time each day. It's not addictive and shouldn't give you a "hangover" like sleeping pills can. You can get it at health food stores, but if you're going to consider it you might want to check with your doctor just to be sure it's safe for you. Taking anything is going to carry a risk! I've never taken melatonin but I've heard great things about it.

A sleep sound machine has been helpful for me. The quiet of my room now bothers me, so I put on a mix of nature noises and set the timer for it to shut off after 20 minutes. I use the Sleep Machine app on the iPhone. It's free, and you can make your own mixes of sounds and save your favorites. If you have an iPhone I highly recommend it!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:38 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Avenger of my liver

Originally Posted by WatchTheSky View Post
Nawneet, you could try taking melatonin before bed for a couple weeks. If you're not familiar with it, it's the neurochemical that the hypothalamus releases to make you sleepy at the same time each day. It's not addictive and shouldn't give you a "hangover" like sleeping pills can. You can get it at health food stores, but if you're going to consider it you might want to check with your doctor just to be sure it's safe for you. Taking anything is going to carry a risk! I've never taken melatonin but I've heard great things about it.

A sleep sound machine has been helpful for me. The quiet of my room now bothers me, so I put on a mix of nature noises and set the timer for it to shut off after 20 minutes. I use the Sleep Machine app on the iPhone. It's free, and you can make your own mixes of sounds and save your favorites. If you have an iPhone I highly recommend it!
SimplyNoise - The Best Free White Noise Generator on the Internet. (not sure if I can link that) This free site has a white, pink, and brown noise generator. You can set it to oscillate and set the speed to oscillate. Before, when I would start hearing funny things, I would put that on oscillate and focus on nothing and I would get to sleep.
Add a little melatonin to the mix and you'll sleep like a baby
Wait a couple of days after you start to detox though, just to prevent anything weird from happening.

Oh, and the noise generator also has a sleep timer as well.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Got through 6 days, by tomorrow morning I'll have 7 days - one week - first time in about 2-3 years that I've made it more than 1-2 days. 2-3 years ago I went 34 days and then completely fell off the wagon and could find the wagon for a long time.

I think the real differnce this time is that I'm not the only one who knows that I'm trying to quit - my wife is on board this time to help keep me in check. Before it was just me and I could justify / talk myself into anything - LOL.

Great job on Friday night SD / chebella - just a little slip - learn something from it!

Have a great sober SUnday - Later. Jackstone
Old 11-21-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

I am in the Class of November 2010!! Day 2 with no pot. Been abstinent from booze for almost seven years but smoked pot for the last three. Yesterday was really rough, but I am struggling with some other issues that could be contributing to the anxiety, head ache, etc. Slept okay last night, but did so with the help of a little bit of muscle relaxant. Probably gonna take a little bit tonight, too, and then no more after that. I realize it is not the best way to do it, but wanted to be honest about it so I am accountable--at least a little bit! lol Hang in there, all the rest of you--we are worth it!!!