Notices

Money Troubles

Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

QUIT SMOKING!!!!! you will save both your lungs, complexion and $$$$.

i can't do $10. a day....but i've usually do a 5.00 bill or quarters or a single in the jar....i cash it in on the holidays when i have to entertain the family....

Mr. Fandy and I once save a couple of bucks a day in a big jar and the $1600. was a downpayment of plane fare and 8 days in Atlantis resort in the Bahamas...it was one of the best vacations i've ever had because there were no giant bills to come home to.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Fandy I quit smoking when I quit drinking...the two were intertwined and there was no way I could quit one and not the other. So 2+ months of no smoking or drinking and I don't miss either. Oddly though the smell of alcohol sickens me yet I still like the smell of smoke:-)

I am lucky with my complexion...when I consider the hard living I've done, the fact that my skin is better than most people 10+ years younger than me makes me very happy...no need for botox yet!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm having the same problem. I don't get paid bi-weekly either, every 4 weeks. I do have some CC bills, a rather large car payment, but still...I don't buy beer and cigarettes anymore and have worked a lot on cutting spending. I can't remember the last time I went out for lunch, I brown bag it everyday, I cook dinner at home, my debt/income is roughly the same as it was when I was drinking/smoking daily, yet I'm broker than ever! Good for you on the no debt...I went haywire w-toys for awhile there and have considerable debt to show for it.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

LF, congrats! I try a glass of my used to be favorite wine a few weeks ago and it reminds me of acetone (they way it smells to me) is the way the wine tasted....no desire for that makes it easier.

I quit smoking almost 20 years ago and for years i liked to stand next to people that smoke so i could take a whiff....it was weird, i knew i was ready to quit smoking because i couldn't stand the way my hair smelled and i had to brush my teeth after every cigarette (felt a plastic taste in my mouth), but i loved that 2nd hand smoke.

In *honor* of your thread I made sure to throw $$$ in my jar today...I will try to be more motivated to do this.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Check this out LaFemme,

Feed the Pig

Ivan
Old 09-16-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Texas...I know where your money goes every time I look at your Avatar;-p

Thanks Timebuster...that Feed the Pig site is pretty cool.

One thing that I have a hard time with is that for a woman to look professional in a competetive work environment costs a lot more than a man does.

It's easy to say, don't spend so much on the hair, makeup, nails, shoes, clothes...but when image matters for business what am I supposed to do? Even if I color my hair myself, that's $30 a month. And that's just for starters!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

today I remembered that the libraries in this area have sales once or twice a year where they sell their books (they have multiple copies and need to make room for the new ones).

the prices are tiny...you might want to check that out too, i'm pretty sure they might do this in your area...maybe it is a "library law"?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks Fandy they do! I have a great library..its actually ranked #1 for a town my size in the country...I ant check books out until I pay some late fees though :-(

Funny...I was reading Kiplingers just now on the train and they mentioned the feedthepig website:-)

I'm going to Home Depot to return some things I don't need after work and I've listed some books on half.com.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Here's a little tip I discovered, too, for the book junkie in me--there is a site called "swap.com" that is great for exchanging books, CDs, DVDs, etc. You list any books, music, movies you can bear to part with, and list what you wish you had. The site automatically arranges swaps (including three-way swaps) and all you pay is the $2.67 or whatever for media postage. One mouse click and it will even print out a shipping label--you just provide the envelope (and you can recycle those that you receive). I got rid of a bunch of stuff I didn't want anymore and got some books and movies I'd been wanting, el cheapo. It's pretty cool.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexi!!! I just inventoried about 50 books I can get rid of while watching the movie "letters to juliet" (cute movie, the male lead was adorable:-). I'm going to try to get rid of stuff before I let myself get more...once I get the inventory down I will let myself try swap.com

No more impulse book buying for me!