Notices

Weekend Binge Drinker...I want to stop

Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChicoState View Post
So, now I figure none leads to none. I'm trying. Thanks for the inspiration.
Good for you. Keep that in mind and keep trying. Redefine yourself as you see yourself without drinking and be that person. I get a lot of satisfaction out of that alone.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add to the thread I started last year with an update. I feel a little irresponsible that I haven't logged in out here in a while, so shame on me...but I haven't forgotten you great folks!

Well, basically a year has gone by since I first came here seeking help for my weekend binging. I realized that I needed to visualize the person I saw myself as, and live the life of that person. One thing I quickly had to accept was that drinking (of any amount) was not part of that profile...and that seemed impossible to embrace. But I drew the line in the sand and stayed true to the vision of my new self. Here are the results...I have been way more productive this year than ever, I have a new self-confidence, I weigh 15 pounds less than I did when I originally posted here, I have seemingly endless energy, my nerves are calm, my conscience is clear, and I approach every day with a clear head and positive attitude about those around me and myself. It wasn't easy at first, but after a few months I started to not miss drinking at all. I've been in plenty of situations where social drinking is the norm, and I simply abstain (I don't make any big deal about it, point it out to others, or otherwise)...and it feels good to do so. I don't have any less fun than I did previously, but I sometimes tire of the surroundings if there is nothing real interesting going on. Additionally, I actually sense others in my circles now considering their consumption by the questions they ask me...again, I don't point out my not drinking, but it's obvious by now that I don't. One consequence of my not drinking is that I have less connection with a couple old drinking buddies...if it has to be, it has to be...I don't think any less of them than I ever did. One of those buddies was served divorce papers due in large part to his excessive drinking...tragic for their kids.

So there is my report on me. I don't expect I'll go back, and I only expect things to improve as I strengthen my self-image. I want to thank all of you who have provided your kindness and encouragement. To those who can relate to my story and think that I might be able to help you, feel free to PM me as I'd like to give back to this community however I can...and I'll make it a point to get back here more regularly.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update uniblab - and congratulations

D
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks for the update uniblab - and congratulations

D
Thank YOU! And thank you to all who have helped in providing strength and encouragement.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wow, it's been almost 4 years since I started this thread...

Well, I feel very grateful to say that I still haven't touched a drop of alcohol. Actually, I haven't felt any real cravings for the past couple years, and those were only in social situations where I would normally be drinking. Sometimes people don't want to hang with me because I won't drink with them, but it doesn't matter to me in the least anymore (it did for a while). I feel pretty confident that alcohol will remain out of my life going forward. I'm not making any guarantees as I'm human just like everyone else. I've pretty simply moved on and just left it behind, for which again I feel fortunate and grateful.

For those who are entertaining the possibility that alcohol (or other substance) is playing a negative role in your life and consequently those you love and care about, and are considering doing something about it, you can. This forum really helped me early on and I've referenced it to others through the past few years. People are out here for you when you need them. I'm going to make a better effort to be one of them for you!

Thank you, everyone!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

awesome uniblab!!!! FOUR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! incredible
I do hope you continue to post and inspire.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uniblab View Post

Sometimes people don't want to hang with me because I won't drink with them, but it doesn't matter to me in the least anymore (it did for a while).

Thank you, everyone!
When you got to this point, you have won a MAJOR battle in the war for sobriety. This was tough for me, and from reading other posts on SR, is a major issue for others. But once you get to the point you describe, where you have overcome the peer pressure from former drinking buddies, you have made REAL progress. Congratulations on your great success. 4 years is the real deal. Just about where I am at.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

^^^^^ Probably the toughest part for me. I was socially awkward for a year or so. People were feeling me out, then testing me, then ignoring me and excluding me. But there were also a few that were accepting and supportive. Now it's to the point where some of those who initially excluded me are inquisitive and interested in how/why I did what I did. You can see the wheels turning in their own heads. Since I quit drinking, I've lost about 30 pounds (220 > 190), I eat better, exercise, play some competitive sports, have a ton of energy, feel better, probably look better, etc. I'm not trying to brag, just telling where I am now from where I was. I still have plenty to work on (and suspect I always will)!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Wow! That's inspiring!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uniblab View Post
Now it's to the point where some of those who initially excluded me are inquisitive and interested in how/why I did what I did. You can see the wheels turning in their own heads.

I still have plenty to work on (and suspect I always will)!
Have had more than one person come up to me one on one and say, "Wow, you don't hardly drink any more do you? Wish I could slow down."

You and me both, brother. Sobriety is a work in progress.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meetvyu uniblab
Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Uniblab - I truly hope you will stick around and share some of your tips/advice/knowledge with us. Four years is absolutely amazeballs.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
Uniblab - I truly hope you will stick around and share some of your tips/advice/knowledge with us. Four years is absolutely amazeballs.
You and I just talked about exercise in another thread. I started out walking. 3-4 miles most days. It took my mind to different places, tired me out, and I slept better. I suggest simply walking 30-60 minutes to anyone. It clears your mind and spurs creativity. You'll think about things differently. And you'll be getting in shape. I'm pretty athletic at this point, but I still walk (I did yesterday) just for the positive mental/emotional impact it has on me. And I like to do it outside. Notice the scenery change as you go by. Fresh air. Breeze. Even sweating it out on hot days. Walking is great all-around therapy.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Very inspiring!!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Wow...very cool and thanks for the update! Clearly, I think it was the insight of the 8th poster of the Thread that got through to you and made the difference.

Glad things are going so well for you.