Notices

Weekend Binge Drinker...I want to stop

Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend Binge Drinker...I want to stop

Hello folks, first post. I've been reading here for the past week and have to commend you on what looks like a great place for those of us that struggle with our addictions.

Here's my struggle. As stated in the title, I am a weekend binge drinker. Not every weekend, but most. Sunday through Thursday I never even think about drinking. Usually Friday or Saturday I'll end up consuming a dozen beers on one of those days/nights. The result is 2 days of recovery where I am basically operating just to get through those days. When added up, I am wasting valuable time in an otherwise great life. I know that drinking is seriously limiting my progress personally and professionally, and this pattern has continued for about 25 years. As much as I enjoy a good beer or a nice glass of wine (I rarely touch liquor), I think I need to draw a line in the sand and stop completely. One drink can easily lead to a many, and I feel no real ability to stop...sometimes I do "get lucky" and shut it down early, but that's the exception.

So I bring myself before this forum in search of guidance, support, suggestion, etc. I am not sure that AA would be for me, and am interested in alternative options, but will consider all.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're here, uniblab! Alcohol definitely took time and energy away from my life, too. It became my #1 source of entertainment, my "easy button." It was a little scary at the end when I realized I would rather spend my time alone drinking than go to a play, garden, read, spend time with my kids.....

Weekends are hard for everyone, which is why we need a lot of support, especially at first. I think it's great that you're choosing to do this for yourself. I never thought I'd be able to let drinking go; now I can't imagine wanting it back again.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR uniblab

Yeah, I started as a weekend drinker too. Ended up an all day everyday guy.

Stopping completely is a great idea.

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice responses so soon! Yep, the energy it takes to see an episode through is simply ridiculous...yet so easy to convince yourself it's worth it when you get started.

Everyday drinking has never been possible for me, but I understand how it is for some. One of my best friends died last year as a result of daily drinking. But in order for me to stay functional, I can't drink every day and have never entertained that pattern. Doesn't matter, though. I don't think my problem is any less serious. I can run with the best when put to the drinking test. Now if I can pass the stopping test!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Uniblab, I started as a weekend binger also. Actually there was a time if I saw my husband drinking during the week, I'd let him have it. But then, over time, I became a nightly drinker. Not a lets have 2 beers before dinner nightly drinker.....a lets drink before and after dinner til I'm hammered and end up blacking out, passing out, or both kind of drinker. I've been 17 days sober now. Its awesome. I had a rough afternoon today, and was able to get into the chat room, and talk it out. You can do this!!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

Sorry to know your friend died from unchecked alcoholism.
It's a slow painful process ..and can be halted.

Glad you are planning to live healthy and sober...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR! I'd suggest giving AA a try. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started the same way in college, then continued it into my career. In the early years, it wasn't an issue. But then it got worse, like you it took my two days to recover, Wednesday and Thursday where the only days I fealt good. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, those were drinking days, Monday and Tuesday were recovering. Except that then I started drinking more and more on the weekends as my tollerence grew, plus, money wasn't an issue. Then I had to drink on Monday's to get by. And I think you can see where this is going. I'm not an expert, and still a wreck myself, but doing something now before it goes anything further.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR!

Here's a list of sobriety resources

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Sorry to know your friend died from unchecked alcoholism. It's a slow painful process ..and can be halted.
Well, he went in and out of rehabs about 4 times. Finally got sober for a couple years. Then he blew it on my wedding night (I came to find out later). Never could get back to sobriety again. Looking back, my occasional binging with him didn't help, but then again, we shared some excellent experiences. Wish I could remember them more clearly. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julez View Post
I've been 17 days sober now. Its awesome. I had a rough afternoon today, and was able to get into the chat room, and talk it out. You can do this!!
Congratulations and stay the course. I envy that you've made it that far. I think live chat is a great resource to keep people from making mistakes they will soon regret. I need to learn more about them and hopefully participate as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. I know how you feel. I binge drank mostly on the weekends, until summer vacation or spring/winter break (I'm a teacher) and then one drink quickly lead to many. It's been a week so far and I'm still doing well. Sometimes, reading some of the posts on here, I almost convince myself that I don't have a problem because some of the people on here have struggled with so much worse. Then I remind myself that because I can't stop once I've started, because IT controls ME, I do indeed have a problem and that it was wise for me to stop. It was wise for you, too.
Keep up the good work!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Uni. I too was mostly a weekend drinker, drank only wine and 1 night of drinking led to 2 days of feeling like cr*p. The last 4-5 yrs I drank I had also started drinking 1 or 2 nights during the week as well. I think my weak stomach and horrendous hangovers were the only reasons I did not drink all day every day. I went to a couple of AA meetings but it wasn't for me, I've always been rather a loner so formal programs did not appeal to me. What I did do was read and study AA and other recovery literature along with the bible, and I kind of molded some of the steps to suit me and practice those steps. I have also found SR to be invaluable, I spent months reading so much on here, some stories I felt were MY stories, some I felt could have been my story if not for the grace of God, ALL the stories strengthen my resolve to never drink again.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hey Uni!

check this out... (it's only 4 or 5 pages)
http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org....edintime13.pdf
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was the weekend warrior drinker too. I didnt think AA would apply to me. But after giving it a try I love it. Met some people who have been very helpful and insightful. You should give it a shot. and welcome!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I have also found SR to be invaluable, I spent months reading so much on here, some stories I felt were MY stories, some I felt could have been my story if not for the grace of God, ALL the stories strengthen my resolve to never drink again.
I agree. I only discovered this forum a week or so ago, but it has been a real eye-opener as to what my future may hold depending on what courses of action I take in life. Always seemed to feel I had it together, but now I know that I have major hurdles to cross. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us. SR is my lifeline and I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uniblab View Post
As much as I enjoy a good beer or a nice glass of wine (I rarely touch liquor), I think I need to draw a line in the sand and stop completely. One drink can easily lead to a many, and I feel no real ability to stop...sometimes I do "get lucky" and shut it down early, but that's the exception.
Same problem I have, if you want check down the front page of this forum for my thread 'introduction' to see where such actions took me (hint: nowhere good). Not saying that the same problems will happen to you, every person is different, but like an old saying I heard once goes: "You can learn from experience or you can learn from knowledge".
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Another weekend is upon us, and I vow not to binge this time! Wish me luck...I'll report back with my outcome.