Notices

hello, advice please?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Great stuff Julez -

Yes, as we begin to learn how to be truly honest with ourselves, we see it for what it is.

Only you can decide whether you are an alcoholic or not, but from what you have described, why drink? You are getting great benefits from not drinking.

I am very happy that you are doing well. For me, I was able to stay sober for a while on my own, but then needed a program of recovery. For me, it is AA + SR + helping other alcoholics.

Keep posting!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Julez

There's no such thing as an alcoholic being a social drinker although I gave it a shot a couple months ago only having a couple beers just a day or two out of the week. That soon escalated to a 12 pack in the frig (only to save money and not blow it at the bar during happy hour). And of course that lead to drinking the entire 12 pack in a day which of course led to 12 packs every day. Mind you, I was sober two years prior to this blowout and thought I could just be a "social drinker"..... WRONG! It didn't take long at all from the social drinker stage to the full-blow uncontrollable alcoholic.

Over the years I'd look at people just hanging out socializing and having A drink and think to myself, "Why can't I be normal like them? Why do I have to drink myself into a pathetic stuper?" The answer is because I'm an alcoholic - where one drink is to many and a 100 is never enough.

With that said, and am sure I have the majority vote here, it's just a matter of never picking up another drink again. Life is so much easier without the obstacles of drinking.

Again, welcome to the SR Family! :ghug3
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julez View Post
the sick hungover feeling and the shame that goes with it when you ruin a whole day because of it
Hey Julez, I always felt the same way the next morning. I wonder how many thousands of times I woke up that way. Yes, I was a slow learner.

Anyway, what works for me now is to think about the next morning before I start drinking. Paraphrasing someone's signature, no one wakes up the next morning and thinks, "I'm glad I drank last night."

Best wishes.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Julez,
What a nice story about your daughter and well done on your almost first week of sobriety!

I have tried to drink at home only when we have guests so many times!!! One problem, of course, is that we have quite a lot of guests. And also guests always bring more wine. And then an opened bottle is left. So the day after it seems a rational decision to finish it in case it gets 'spoiled'. And it is never enough, is it?

Happy to see you around. My kids are small and cannot blame them about my drinking... They are the only thing that has kept me from drinking much much more and even kept me sober for long periods... Dreading teenager stage from reading here. I guess I better get many years of sobriety and tools to deal with this before they get there.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

One week! Yay!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great job!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

WTG, Julez,

Keep it goin'!