Notices

Excited to be here....

Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excited to be here....

...really, I am. Although I have contemplated getting sober for years, I am READY! Its time to put all the pathetic, embarrassing, ridiculous behavior behind me and begin the second half of my life with focus on health and happiness. I am not so arrogant to think this is by any means going to be easy but is wrong to be excited about it? I hope not! I find inspiration by reading these threads and look forward interaction and hopeful mutual support here.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Congrats to you for being ready and willing. In order to stay sober, you first have to be done drinking. Done. Sounds like you are.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nothing wrong with being excited about getting sober! Congrats on your decision. You will find a lot of support here. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I soooo am. I am nervous about when I get "the urge" but like I said, I am inspired by what I read here. I am not an every day drinker. I binge a couple of times a week so I haven't faced that yet situation yet. This is such a great place to turn to!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, sounds like you have made a good decision here. I don't think it is wrong to be excited about wanting to change your ways and live a more productive and happier life. It is something to be excited about. Good attitude to have.

It is easy to put the drink down, the hardest part is to keep it down. So be careful and most of all, be kind to yourself.

God bless in your decision to get sober.

Harry
Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Chakra. What a great attitude you have to start you on your journey. I am glad you feel excited and are now happy to confront drink issues.

Best of luck and God Bless x
Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I too, am excited about my new sober life. Enthusiasm is fine, but I also couple it with realism. I'm not planning on drinking. But if I do one day, I'm certainly not planning on returning to my old lifestyle. Welcome, and congrats on your new life!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Chakra,

I too am still excited to be here after nearly a Month, its a great place to be and there is Tons of support here. Well Done on wanting to turn your life around!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chakra,

Welcome!

It is exciting and scary to be facing recovery, but there is a lot of support here.

Amd. I always find inspiration here.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's wonderful that you're excited about building a healthier life. I think putting sobriety in positive terms rather than negative (woe is me, I can't drink) is really really helpful when it comes to urges. I didn't realize it before, but alcohol affects almost every organ in the body. It's really a toxic substance.

Keep reading and posting and give yourself a big hug! Welcome, by the way. We're all here for you!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you Chakra and good for you to be excited about the daily journey ahead.

Long may your enthusiasm continue!

MR.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family Chakra. We're glad you found us & are ready to start your new life. I was a binger who turned into an every day-er over time. This'll never have to happen to you.

It's great you're excited rather than dreading it the way I did. I still managed to get sober in spite of myself, but it was much harder with a negative attitude. You're doing great - keep us informed.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! You are all so kind. I look forward to posing about victories as much as I enjoy reading about your victories. I am so blessed to have stumbled upon this site which is so positive and uplifting but most of all encouraging. Its also a great place for me to learn how to be supportive of others instead of the selfish drunk that I was/am.

What are some of the biggest physical and internal changes (healthwise) that you noticed once you had some time without alcohol?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
It's wonderful that you're excited about building a healthier life. I think putting sobriety in positive terms rather than negative (woe is me, I can't drink) is really really helpful when it comes to urges. I didn't realize it before, but alcohol affects almost every organ in the body. It's really a toxic substance.

Keep reading and posting and give yourself a big hug! Welcome, by the way. We're all here for you!
DITTO!

and welcome:-) I love your attitude.

Since I drank heavily every day I had a typical withdrawal period, my guess is you won't have as much since you aren't doing it everyday:-)

I'm on day 25 and so far, physically I have lst weight, my skin looks great, and my eyes are bright.

Emotionally, I haven't seen my old enemy depression since I stopped drinking, I smile easier and more genuinely, I am dealing with my problems instead of hiding in a bottle and I am actively working on myself again:-)

Looking forward to followin your journey:-)
Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Chakra,

Everyone's first few days without alcohol are different; detox should be medically supervised. etc.....

My physical and internal changes:::

Day 1: I was amazed at waking up and going through the day without a headache. I was an everyday binge drinker for 4 years so I forgot what my job/driving my car felt like without a splitting headache

My appetite went way down, in a good way. I was the type of alcoholic who liked to nurse a hangover with a supersized value meal from Mcdonalds. I began losing weight after I stopped drinking even with some added sweet treats. I was no longer drinking 1200-1400 calories a night, every night.

The whites of my eyes are white again rather than a dull gray/red.

My 'digestion' is back to normal. (This was a big problem for me when I was drinking)
Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Interesting. I noticed quite a physical change in someone who I witnessed getting sober. He lost weight, his eyes were clear, his skin looked better. His temperament was waaaay calmer than before. I think its important to have something to look forward to and I am hoping to experience the same. Just didn't know if it was typical or now. I guess the best part is that you can hopefully start to like yourself and maybe even save a little money.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LaFemme-25 days...That rocks!! You are ALL living proof it can be done...gives me so much hope.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There is a thread someone directed to me when I asked the same question...I will bump it up for you if I can find it:-)
Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Awesome! Thank you
Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Chakra

I was excited when I came here - it felt like a great weight was lifted from my shoulders.

Look forward to seeing you around some more
D