Notices

I desperately need a diet plan or something!

Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Soon to be 25 year old female. Doctors won't test me for deficiencies because they think its all in my head or fibromyalgia . I even had a doctor kick me out of his office and make smart ass remarks to me. He told me I should be feeling better after having quit drinking for 6 months and that it was all in my head. He was nice enough to give me my money back before I walked out the door.

I get my thyroid tested regularly just in case and it always comes back on the good side of normal. I've given up on doctors. Now I just see them for yearly check ups like a good little patient.

What vitamins do you take?
Google Fibromyalgia (Which by other doctors funny enough is dismissed as a series of complaints concocted by "Hysterical females") and chronic fatigue and magnesium, iodine and minerals.

Also; In most cases measurable Thyroid problems are really the end of the road after a long period of your body trying to cope with deficiencies (Perhaps caused by alcohol or perhaps not, like Iodine, Selenium, Zinc, magnesium etc.) but they are unrecognised by tests and therefore dismissable by our esteemed medical elite and you might google for a holistic thyroid supplement.

I had years of problems and complaints (Fatigue, cold and weight gain) and finally it showed in my thyroid test and while the doctor (a new one) was happy to prescribe hormones (Which is ridiculous when you think about it:
Waiting for things to get so bad they show up in a test and then prescribe something you have to take for the rest of your life without trying to first remedy it with the minerals needed for the thyroid to function normally in the first place. (This is not counting the cases in which the thyroid is destroyed by and autoimmune disease or other serious medical malfunctions that need those hormones for real)) I was lucky in that the doctor agreed to let me try to go for the holistic approach first and was even kind enough to prescribe iodine tablets for me and warned me that (as with hormones) not to expect much improvement for at least six weeks. (Which, considering it took years to get me this far, is sweet).

So far three weeks into this regime I have less problems with cold, have bursts of energy I haven't had for years and less pain in my muscles and bones so there is hope. I still suffer weight gain but I am changing my diet and as soon as I have a little more energy will try to kick start my metabolism with exercise again. I live in a beautiful environment and I can't wait to get to a beach nearby to walk and later run.

(I have started to dance in the house and have progressed from one minute to five already so that also gives me hope.)

And yes, not drinking and eating healthy food is paramount in helping your body recover from the abuse it suffered.

Try to find a doctor who is at least sympathetic to the more holistic approach and I urge you to do so quickly because I know from experience how bad it can get. (I lost friend to bowel cancer who was send away time time and again because her pains and aches were all in her head according to the doctor) And do your own research!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Our bodies really really like to move.........and the more we do, the better we feel!!

Exercise has helped me BIG TIME. While I was into it off & on, my drinking always got in the way.

I had quit for about 3 years when I was once again overweight and made the decision to never tip the scales like that again.

Since March 2005 when I made the choice, I have never looked back.

Today I am in the best shape ever and am involved in cycling & running endurance events. While the endurance part may not interest you, just getting fit & moving will change your life!!

Plus with sooo many groups and clubs out there, you will meet others with the same interests (beginners too) most of which really don't care much for drinking!

A nice brisk walk is a great starter!! Not tomorrow........today!