Notices

I desperately need a diet plan or something!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

I desperately need a diet plan or something!

Can anyone here give me a diet plan for alcoholics or some suggestions on some supplements I can take? I know I have some deficiencies that my doctors are refusing to test/treat me for so I have to do this on my own. I'm already on prescription vitamin d and take zinc, vit c, magnesium, b complex and a multivitamin but my fatigue is still severe and has been for years. I've come a long way since I started taking vitamins but I'm nowhere near 100 percent. Any advice will be useful. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome Eidolon!

I suffer from major fatigue, but other than being an alcoholic I also have Hepatitis C. If you have every been an intravenous drug user, or had blood transfusion prior to 1992, or shared a toothbrush, razor or any other thing that may have a persons blood on it you should be tested too.

I take a daily supplement of multi-vitamin (without iron) as that is bad for me. I also take cod liver oil daily and a probiotic every day. Am currently on a homeopathic cure which includes a variety of other things both for my liver and circulation in general.

You might find that a diet of insulin resistant foods might be good for you. I have found this to be beneficial and it even helps me lose weight!

There could be a number of reasons for fatigue, you really do need to see a doctor and have some blood tests and can't understand why your doctor would refuse to test/treat. Change doctors!

Still fatigue that has lasted for years? Get your HCV status checked out.... :ghug3 It is a silent killer disease.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

Thanks for the quick reply! I've been tested for almost every thing under the sun. Including all the heps and hiv. Even autoimmune. But I know this is from alcohol because it all started after the biggest drinking binge of my life. I drank to the point of black out drunk several times a week for three months straight. So heavily that I drank myself into a pseudocushingoid state. That was 5 years ago and I have not been the same since. Been seeing doctors on and off for this entire time to no avail. Only a diagnosis of fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome and a vitamin D deficiency. I haven't exactly been sober the entire time either. The longest I ever stayed sober this past 5 years was 6 months. And I still had severe fatigue that entire time. Hence the reason for my relapses. I lost hope of ever feeling good again. I'm starting all over again and I intend to stay sober for good this time. But I just need some advice on how to kick this chronic and damn near debilitating fatigue!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Eidolon,
It sounds like you have access to proper medical attention and that you are taking already quite a few supplements following doctors' advice. My mum has never drunk and suffers from the same illnesses you are referring to. Many non-alcoholics do. I am having several problems with my bones and muscles too that seem less and less related to my drinking

For sure alcohol will only make it worse. You many not like this, but you may consider quitting the drinking for your health accepting you will not feel like a 17 years old healthy athlete either.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unresolved emotional issues can cause physical exhaustion. THe body and mind are absolutely connected.

When I was able to quit drinking, quit using drugs and finally quit sugar, my energy levels increased. I went from being a couch potato to a daily runner. I followed a low carb, low sugar, high protein diet. I cut back coffee to one cup a day and made sure I got enough sleep.

Addiction is exhausting. Lack of emotional sobriety is also exhausting, even if you're not actively using. In early recovery I slept around the clock some weekends, other times I couldn't sleep at all. Therapy and abstinence over time has given me a lot of energy back. I'm 40 and feel better than at any other time in my life. Quitting sugar was the final key for me. It's as much a drug as alcohol or heroin. My mind is clearer and my thinking sharper, too.

I have a number of other health related issues, including long standing untreated chronic fatigue. A good naturopath has helped enormously too.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eidelon

welcome

All the vitamins and supplements in the world won't help if we're drinking.

I think you'll find things will improve dramatically when you leave the booze behind - not just for a week or so, but for good....that was my experience anyway.

Have you been honest with your doctors about your drinking?
D

D
Old 07-30-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Eidelon

welcome

All the vitamins and supplements in the world won't help if we're drinking.

I think you'll find things will improve dramatically when you leave the booze behind - not just for a week or so, but for good....that was my experience anyway.

Have you been honest with your doctors about your drinking?
D

D
Hi, Dee!

Yes, I have been more than honest about my drinking since day 1. I get very detailed with my doctors because I know that to leave anything out could hinder me completely from finding my answer. I stated earlier that I had actually been sober for 6 months straight and I still experienced debilitating fatigue. So I just gave up and started drinking again because being wasted was the only time I didn't feel sick. But I decided recently that I wasn't going to get anywhere EVER if I didn't stop. So I'm going to go a year and if I'm still sick...Well, I'll be honest with you, I've contemplated ending it all. You guys have no clue how bad this fatigue is. I can't even exercise because it makes it 100 times worse. Physical exertion is my enemy now and I used to exercise at LEAST an hour every day before I got sick. So I've gained about 80 pounds over the last 5 years. This is something that is not in my head. I did this to myself because I self medicated with alcohol. I'm desperate to fix this.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I too suffer from long term fatigue - I have cerebral palsy - so I can empathise

Sometimes it takes a lot of work to find, and then treat, the problem - it's been over 10 years for me and noone still can give me a definitive answer.

but things have improved markedly since I stopped drinking and smoking...though it took the best part of a year tho for me to do so.

Keep looking for the answer
D
Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (as I have) there are lots of things you can do to feel better.

I was so depressed by fatigue and pain that I was experiencing that I gave up hope of ever feeling good again. First off, please stay sober. Stick with your vitamin regime and keep eating a generally good diet. Try yoga. It has helped me immensely. It makes me stronger and more flexible. Get as much sleep as you can. It's very important in fibro. Listen to your body and don't push yourself, but at the same time, make some exercise or movement a part of your daily life.

There is lots of hope for you to feel better and more energetic.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it's difficult to ascertain whether you are a man or woman from your name...you don't give an age...it could be a thyroid issue or hormonal depending on what phase of your life you are going through...are you getting good sleep?

it's unrealistic to ask for health information this way, you are very vague about why you cannot get tests from your own physician.

my vitamins didn't do me much good until I switched to a high quality easily absorbed capsule type...the hard ones were just "passing through" not even fully dissolving...and a pill is not a substitute for a good diet.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....
Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I think taking vitamins and supplementd is a good idea...there are a number o studies that show alcoholic are malnourished and it can take some time to get that back. Have you considered flaxseed oil or fish oil. Iam doing an herbal detox to help jumpstart my recovery, at bare minimum you might want to use milk thistle.

My mom suffers from fatigue and finds a B-12 shot once a month to make a huge difference...it must be a shot and not a pill.

I second yoga!

have you tried accupuncture?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
it's difficult to ascertain whether you are a man or woman from your name...you don't give an age...it could be a thyroid issue or hormonal depending on what phase of your life you are going through...are you getting good sleep?

it's unrealistic to ask for health information this way, you are very vague about why you cannot get tests from your own physician.

my vitamins didn't do me much good until I switched to a high quality easily absorbed capsule type...the hard ones were just "passing through" not even fully dissolving...and a pill is not a substitute for a good diet.
Soon to be 25 year old female. Doctors won't test me for deficiencies because they think its all in my head or fibromyalgia. I even had a doctor kick me out of his office and make smart ass remarks to me. He told me I should be feeling better after having quit drinking for 6 months and that it was all in my head. He was nice enough to give me my money back before I walked out the door.

I get my thyroid tested regularly just in case and it always comes back on the good side of normal. I've given up on doctors. Now I just see them for yearly check ups like a good little patient.

What vitamins do you take?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nows as good a time as any to remind folks that the medical advice rule includes over the counter stuff.
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
We can share our experience, but please remember that what may have worked for someone else may not work for you.

Any supplements or herbal remedies need to be approached with as much caution as anything else - and IMO preferably some medical consultation.

D
Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Eldonlon,

I also have chronic fatigue due to fibromyalgia. You might see a good rheumatologist for a competent diagnosis. A good diet, proper treatment and some light exercise every day has helped me a great deal. I take some supplements and can really notice a difference if I forget to take them for a few days.

Also, getting a bit of natural sunlight every day is important. I make a point of getting a twenty minute walk outside each day. I usually don't feel like it but am always glad I did.

I hope this helps. Please don't give up! I understand the frustration as I was often told it "was all in my head" and that I needed to "snap out of it."

Love,

Lenina
Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found that diet, (I am very big on the low-carb thing/modified Atkins diet), has worked well for me, but it takes about a week of fatigue to get through. I also don't eat anything that is white. White bread, (or any bread for that matter), sugar, flour, salt and milk. I also used to do alot of sugar free, low carb energy drinks and caffeine, and although I haven't cut back entirely, I found that they still would have a downer effect by 1PM or so, so now I will try to fit in a 20 minute nap in the early afternoon. Then I try to be in bed by 10PM and up by 6AM, and I try to keep my sleeping cycles a regular as possible. Lastly I try to walk my dog at least 5 miles a day.

It might not work for you, but I just had a physical and was given an A+++ by my doctor for a man of my age, in fact he said I am healthier than most 30 year olds, (I'm 42), and I was still drinking heavily at the time. I can't wait to see him next year!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe the fact is that you're unwell and you need to rest, regardless of the official diagnosis or lack of one. There may be any number of undiagnosed physical conditions such as candida or food allergies/intolerances. Have you been in therapy? Talking to someone about what you are going through is important. My physical health has improved as my mental health has improved.

I fully second the poster who mentioned giving up anything 'white'. Flour, sugar etc. When I have bread after not having it for a few weeks, I literally feel drugged. Like I've taken a xanax. I get foggy and sleepy. It's the same with a few other foods. If I have sugar, I'm a basket case. I cry, I get depressed and I'm a total mess. I have no energy or enthusiasm for anything and a cycle of sugar craving/addiction gets set up.

If you're addicted to alcohol, you may well be addicted to other substances or have compulsions in other areas, which means you are still physically and mentally sick. Working towards emotional sobriety and being clean of ALL addictions and compulsions could require a stay in rehab or ongoing counselling/therapy.

I was constantly physically exhausted, to the point where I couldn't get out of bed for days, for decades. It wasn't until i started therapy that I discovered it was the emotional 'weight' of all that i was carrying around that was making me so tired. Our emotions and feelings can make us as tired as actual physical exertion.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ooops, sorry about what I suggested, I was really only saying what works for me:-)

But I can understand your fustration with doctors. My mom was told it was all in her head for years when her RA first developed. One doctor told her to go spend the summer in the mountains, which was great for me because that's when I fell in love with riding and horses but did nothing for my Mom. I think this was when she began to abuse alcohol as self medication.

She finally found a doctor who diagnosed her and helped her, she always said Dr. D saved her life. The moral of this story is: don't stop looking for a doctor who can help you:-)
Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just a thought, but have you tried getting exercise? I eat very well, am a very healthy person, and went through the same thing over a year ago. It was right after I quit getting exercise and I noticed how lethargic I got. Working in an office and sitting all day doesn't help.

Anyway, I started working out and within a couple of weeks I had a lot more energy, and felt great.

Good luck!!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi there, glad you're seeing doctors about this. Chronic fatigue can be caused by a lot of things, of course.. and lots of 'things' can be exacerbated by drinking and the damage it causes to our bodies and minds. I'm curious (putting on my work hat), have you seen a neurologist? I'm not a doctor, but there are LOTS of things to rule out with symptoms as general as yours.