Notices

Sobriety Chips?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety Chips?

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
I picked up a thirty day chip a little while back, thinking of drilling a hole in them (24 hr chip too) so that I can add them to my key chain so that I can have them with me everywhere I go.
^ ^ ^ I've often wondered what people do with their AA chips?

One of my friends made an inlay on a captain's ship wheel for each one of his - all 15 of them so far.

Anyone?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

I saw a Simpson's episode where Barney gets a 5-minute chip, then takes it to Moe's bar and redeems it for a beer. Kind of disturbing when I think back on it. Please tell me there are not bars where you can get a free drink for an AA chip.

Rev
Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I get twelve I'm going to make a clock out of them, a chip for each hour. You know, one of those clock-making kits. Thought it would be cool: a sobriety clock!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Please tell me there are not bars where you can get a free drink for an AA chip.
Yikes! Not on this planet I hope...

Least, tick-tock - a sobriety clock - creative indeed!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I'm not as creative as least. I just carry my most current chip in my pocket to remind me of my sobriety.
The previous ones go in a coin cup.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My sponsor said there was a tradition in his area where you would find someone to give you previous year's chip to when you got your next year if that makes sense?

God willing i thought i may buy a nice one each year and get a hole put in it at a jewellers and wear round neck? replacing each year? Let's see:-)

Anniversary -- Hazelden

These ones look nice IMO Silver Recovery -- Hazelden
Old 05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Until I reached 1 year, my milestone chips were plastic. My sponsor had a drill to drill a hole in them and I carried them on my key chain, and yes as they mounted up they did make noise, a good reminder for me.

Once I started getting the metal Medallions I carried them with me, usually in my wallet. Then when my second sponsee got her first year I gave her my first year chip and have given her my chip each year since.

About 10 years ago, I found a GREAT leather Check Book Cover, with the Serenity Prayer on the front and a place on the front for my medallion. I have put them there since, and still pass the older ones on to that same sponsee.

I like this, as every time I pull out the check book to write a check or enter a debit card entry, there it is, right under my nose, lol along with the Serenity Prayer.

I treasure my yearly chips!

I have ordered my 29 year medallion and it should be here shortly. It will be given to me by a dear friend in the program on my Anniversary and I will once again go through my own personal ritual of taking out the previous chip, putting in the new one, and the previous chip goes in a plastic container to sit in my jewelery box until Dear Diana reaches that time.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love the check book idea - either as a gift to someone in recovery or yourself like you said as a frequent reminder. 29 years - congratulations - the ritual sounds amazing.

I buried my one year chip with some mums I planted at my parents headstone. I wasn't sober when they passed away so that was important to me.

I visited Bill Wilson's gravesite a couple of years ago - a glass jar was at his headstone with all kinds of colored chips, personalized chips and 20 and 30-year medallions that people had left.

A sign at the jar encouraged people to take one but to replace it with one of your own as an exchange for the next person. Very cool.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The monthly ones I returned when I earned a different one.
I simply put them back in our "chip box"

The medallions....denoteing years......I pass along to special
friends coming behind me.

The current year one stays in my billfold
until I earn another.

So.....right now....I only have one.....
Old 05-06-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

My son took me to the meeting where he took his one yr. chip, honored me in his talk, and then gave me the chip....What a lovely gift.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is a great topic. I wish there was a website for "chip crafts"! For my first sober Christmas, I tried to make a Christmas tree ornament for my sponsor with my chips (desire chip - 9 months). I hot-glued them to a piece of posterboard in a pyramid formation and intended to cut around the chips so you couldn't see the posterboard. OMG, it was a frickin' mess. The chips didn't stick and it looked like a toddler made it. I never gave it to her, explained her gift "just, uh, didn't work out" and eventually showed it to her months later and we had a good laugh.

Right now, my 2 year chip is displayed on a ledge by my bathroom sink where I see it every morning and at night. I also gave one to my daughter for her birthday. She treasures all my chips and my sobriety. She endured the worst of my alcoholism.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I saw a Simpson's episode where Barney gets a 5-minute chip, then takes it to Moe's bar and redeems it for a beer. Kind of disturbing when I think back on it. Please tell me there are not bars where you can get a free drink for an AA chip.

Rev
Unfortunately yes there are some sick bar owners out there. I know of a bar in TX that gives you a free drink for your AA starter chip.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cool

"...on my Anniversary...I will once again go through my own personal ritual of taking out the previous chip, putting in the new one, and the previous chip goes in a plastic container to sit in my jewelery box..."

I had this kind of ritual. After a time, I got tired of it so I searched around to see if there were any alternatives-----well, of course!!!! There are always alternatives.....LOLOL

I've found the perfect medallion (for me, anyway); it's called "The New Life Medallion" ---- it's bronze, and on one side it's engraved with 'This Day My New Life Began' and on the other is the person's sobriety/clean date. I have a key fob that's clear plastic on both sides, which is just perfect for this medallion..... (o:

I shan't post a link to the website where these coins/holders/lotsa good stuff can be found, but if you're interested, 'PM' me and I'll send you the link.....

(o:
NoelleR
Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I only have four so far, I plan to keep them all. My next one is 6 months.

They stay in my wallet.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

dont really collect chips....rare over here.

But i do carry a very ornate "keep it simple" coin at the back of my wallet.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Unfortunately yes there are some sick bar owners out there. I know of a bar in TX that gives you a free drink for your AA starter chip.
That is so messed up.

Rev
Old 05-07-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering Soul

Rev
That's both awful and funny at the same time.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering Soul

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
Love the check book idea - either as a gift to someone in recovery or yourself like you said as a frequent reminder. 29 years - congratulations - the ritual sounds amazing.

I buried my one year chip with some mums I planted at my parents headstone. I wasn't sober when they passed away so that was important to me.

I visited Bill Wilson's gravesite a couple of years ago - a glass jar was at his headstone with all kinds of colored chips, personalized chips and 20 and 30-year medallions that people had left.

A sign at the jar encouraged people to take one but to replace it with one of your own as an exchange for the next person. Very cool.
Wow. This whole post. Just wow.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recoveringfaith View Post
Wow. This whole post. Just wow.
I agree. Very cool stuff. I'd love to go to Bill W.'s gravesite sometime in my lifetime, and also to Stepping Stones, the house they lived in throughout the rest of their days. Apparently, it's just as they left it.

Stepping Stones

This is a really cool site dedicated to their home and the legacy of AA and Al-Anon.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My coins are stacked in a neat little pile on my altar at home right in front of the Buddha figure. This time around I skipped doing the whole monthly chip thing so I have a 24 coin, a 1 year, and a 2 year. If my karma and my actions coincide and I keep my life in balance with the spiritual path I am on and the 12 steps, I will add a 3 year coin in July.
This post made me decide to give my sponsee my one year coin if he gets there. Not that I doubt him, he is kicking ass. But tanks for the idea!!!