Notices

Party night!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Party night!

Hi,

I went to my first real party night without a drop of A.!! I'm very happy about that.

First I went bowling with a bunch, at one point a guy insisted for a short moment that I would accept a glass of champagne that was being offered. But he let go fast, I think my simple no thanks was firm enough ;-))

Another said wow when you say your not drinking you really stick to it don't you? I like that! hihihi I just told that one, I was getting annoyed by the tired feeling drinking gave me.

Then I went to a charity party, with a concert, dj, the works and I actually danced a bit!! I am a pretty good dancer by nature, but that got overtaken by the feeling "I have to drink before I can enjoy myself" in the end. I did have to get up quite a few times last night, since I was overflowing from all the water and coke LOL!

Today, I'm expected at another day-time party. First positive thing already is I'm not going there with a hangover yay! Maybe I will get a few questions, since it's the party organized by an ex of mine, we'll see. I do hope there is a bartender there so I can have a nice non-alcoholic mix for the change of taste!

Will report back. Thanks everyone you are in the back of my mind!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you for ignoring the pull of alcohol. It gets easier each time you resist.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job, i find that to be pretty excruciating, going to a party sober - i often feel akward when people ask about why i am not drinking. I hope least's advice is true, that it gets easier with time. So, thanks for the post and giving inspiration that it can be done, and you can have fun while doing it.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Andi, that is so great. I'm so happy for you. I was tested by my "friend" the other day. She was literally begging me to get stoned with her. Now I know who my friends are. I resisted too, and it was weird, but I felt so good about it. I just want a new way to live and I see you do too. Robin
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, that must feel great! I'm looking forward to that kind of thing myself!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Actually, I've never liked parties much. I like getting together with people and talking, or doing something together like going to a show, but parties have always been too loud for me, and they really do just seem like excuses to drink, as if drinking were their primary purpose. Fortunately, I now have a good excuse to pass on them.

Rev
Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The weekend is over, my wish was granted, I can run back here and say...I did it!
Learned a lot from the past few days and I think most of all learning to listen to my signals and boundaries better (or the ones being send to me by what I consider my HP).

For instance, yesterday I went to this other party (no music, people just talking and socializing) in the afternoon, it was nice to see the ex again since there are no hard feelings but of course he was hosting and running around the whole time.
I saw a few familiar faces that I met once or twice, no real friends. As soon as I walked in, I felt uncomfortable, I was supposed to spend the night there since it is a long drive for me and I thought...no way. (solution before: alcohol)
Straightaway I called one of my best friends who lives near and made sure I could go there instead, so that put me at ease a bit. (solution before: not calling anybody but alcohol)
Then I told the ex, look it's really good to see you again but you're very busy and I understand completely, so I won't be staying that long. I had some food, talked to a few people, the ex made sure they did include me, which was nice of him. (solution before: alcohol and starting to talk non-sense)
And then when everybody started to repeat themselves 3 or 4 times (like I used to do!) I bolted, drove to my friends place, watched a movie and had a few laughs about the stuck-up people at the party. (solution before: alcohol, dancing on tables, falling, not remembering a thing,....)

Now I'm happy I don't have anymore special occasions for a while so I can, hopefully, solidify all of it some more.

PHP Code:
Good jobi find that to be pretty excruciatinggoing to a party sober 
Have to say the sunday was mentally harder for me then the saturday, because of all the bla bla bla that was going on around me, no music to tune into or listen to. So I was observing a lot, a guy that fell over, a woman that was sitting there swaying a bit without saying a word after a while cause she got so drunk and being thankfull I didn't have to be in their shoes.

PHP Code:
She was literally begging me to get stoned with herNow I know who my friends areI resisted too, and it was weirdbut I felt so good about it
Good for you too Robin!! Yeah it definately feels weird to be on that other side, but good too I know exactly what you mean.

PHP Code:
Wowthat must feel greatI'm looking forward to that kind of thing myself! 
Would love to read about it when the day comes, it helps to read each other social adventures, I think.

PHP Code:
ActuallyI've never liked parties much. I like getting together with people and talking, or doing something together like going to a show, but parties have always been too loud for me 
Had a bit of both this weekend Rev, but for me the loud one was easier than the quiet one this time, probably because I wasn't surrounded by true friends.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

The Force is strong with you, Andi! Well, you have done.

Rev
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Looks like you & your HP are coming along nicely, great job on thinking ahead & making the right decisions along the way
Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!

Other times I felt like I would crumble the minute I had to do anything at all. The feeling is definately different this time around but my fear for difficult situations is far from gone, probably for the best.