Notices

Sort of new here, another new beginning

Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sort of new here, another new beginning

Hi all. I joined here about a year ago, but don't think I ever posted. Once again I find myself in the quest for sobriety. The story is long, but I'm sure not unusual.

About 4 years ago, I did have 200+ days of sobriety, which I let slip away for various reasons. Last Sunday, I decided I had had enough. I am not the person I want to be. This is no way to live...you get the idea. I have drank every day for the most part for the past 3 years, which the exception of a day here or there. I was drinking a 12 pack per day, then switched to Vodka, a bottle per day, some days more than that. Ridiculous.

So, here I am on day 5. I'm feeling pretty good actually, but have not done much this week except read and sit on my butt. I have accepted the fact that I cannot "social drink". Just like the things I am allergic to...I must fully abstain from alcohol in any form.

I've talked to my doctor about it, and have the total support of my husband and a close friend. I'm hoping to draw support and knowledge from here as well. That's not to mention that I'm also a Christian who is fully standing on the promises of God to me.

Here's to day 5 with the rest of my life to follow. (I'm a 51 year old woman btw)
Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on starting a better sober life.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 5 days!! Welcome here! I'm a Christian too. Hope you find support here and that you stay sober.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ODAAT.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Franco Sarto

I identify with not wanting to be that person or live that life anymore - it really is possible to break out of the cycle, and you'll find a lot of support here.

Welcome
D
Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Franco,

Good for you for deciding to live a sober life and congratulations on your 5 days sober!

I hope you keep reading and posting because there is lots of support here.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Goodd to know you are here ....

I too finally quit .... at 52....it was the wisest thing I ever did!

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Franco Sarto,

Thanks for the post. Like you, this isn't my first try at sobriety.

Keep coming back here.
Mark
Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Being fed up is a great motivater for me. This last time, also being the longest I have ever been clean since I was 12, I had just had it.
Plenty of tramatic things happened in the past. But being sick and tired of it all is what has gotten me this far so far.
Keep at it. It does get better.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your welcome. Today is day 6, and I really don't feel too badly. I seem to wake up the worst, usually with a headache. I made a point of having some protein early in the day, and I've been drinking a TON of water.

I had a dream that I drank...I remember those from my first go at sobriety. I told my husband, and he just held me.

I've got serious brain fog, and all the typical symptoms of PAWS. (see, I told you I've been through this before) I'm keeping my expectations at low for now...yesterday I paid the bills, today I'm doing laundry. One thing at a time.

Tomorrow I have to be at a friends house at 9:30 a.m. to help her host a Bridal Shower. I don't know any of the women who will be there, and to be honest, I wish I didn't have to go. But I promised...and at least I won't have my usual Saturday morning hangover.

My attitude is really different this time. I think it's because we're back in church and I have a spiritual motivation that I lacked the last time. I want to find ME again. I used to like that person. I hope to again.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Franco and btw, I like your motivation. I think it will be strong for you.