Notices

Physical Vanity???

Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Loved this whole thing. Thank you!!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

IrishEyes, stay strong, and good for you. I have a confession to make... I'm a personal trainer and figure competitor. I preach to my clients (and my kids) everyday about how important it is to stay healthy, keep your body as your temple, and moderate everything that goes into your body. What a frickin joke I am.... Time to practice what I preach.But on another note, I really am very knowledgeable about fitness and nutrition, if anyone needs advice
Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hey Julez, at least you took care of everything but the alcohol side, I let everything go! Something that is weird that I've noticed....since quitting drinking, I am becoming a vegetarian, can't stomach the taste of meat all of a sudden, no junkfood, startches or sweets either...weird, if this keeps up I'm going to have to figure out how to get my protein!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hello Fandy i am new to this recovery online stuff but i guess i can kinda relate to your life. I am not an alcohalic but i am 2 days clean of oxycotine and opiet addiction. I have been doing opiets since i was a junior in high school sniffin 2 80mg a day for well im 21 you do the math. well i guess what i wana say is i too feel ugly in my skin mabe due to the fact that opiets have taken ahold of my life and shaped me into a different person i used to play lacross in high school very active and well good with the girls but now i sit in my house and wonder how nice it would be to return to those years i guess what me and you have to accomplish is getting back to a healthy and active lifesyle i can gaurentee that if you go to the gym or start out taking walks and progress to a jogging and so forth you will feel better about yourself give it a shot thats my plan and mabe it will work for you to...
Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Julez,
Thank you for your offer! You made me laugh... It seems like many of us like to be very informed, we are pretty opionionated (at least me) and love giving the right advice...

Anyway, vanity has not been a huge motivation for me but it is a clear sign of health or lack of when you put on extra weigh (or you drop huge amounts); spots in skin; white tongue; swollen faces, puffyness, etc. I have had a mother obsessed with healthy food and lifestyle and looking at what I was doing to my body was very very scary. To see these things disappear is having a huge impact on my level of anxiety.

Otherwise, I am among those who put on weigh when I quit drinking. I do not eat in excess and I eat healthily but I suspect alcohol had a big impact on my ability to absorb nutrients.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

So pretty much we will all be hotties soon. haha
Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IrishEyes88 View Post
This thread really does help! It shows that Sobriety can only lead to an improved life. I don't see anyone here that said "I quit drinking and now I look like crap!"
People who were too thin gained some healthy weight, and people who blew up like balloons lost weight.

I don't mean to downplay the other benefits such as letting my liver heal and not embarassing myself while drunk, but improving my appearance is what really gets me excited to quit.
This is worth a repeat reading.

i especially like the line about how NO ONE says "I quit drinking and now i look like crap"
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Hey everybody!

About a week ago I picked up my friends at the airport that I haven't seen in a year. Every year they come to stay at my house and there has always been a lot of drinking involved by the swimming pool.

I drove up to the airport, they got in the car and the first thing they said was how great I looked. They said they couldn't quite put their finger on it, but they said my hair, skin, eyes, had a glow about them. I looked healthy and happy.

It felt so good.

"When you have joy on the inside it shows on the out" - Salt-n-Pepa

(and no drinking this year. had a lot more fun actually)
Old 08-17-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Bump...for Maggi. maybe you will find this info. helpful.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I now have before and after pics on my profile, if anyone cares hehe
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I am wearing a closefitting tee today and it is TUCKED IN my pants! this is progress!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I was getting ready this morning and realized I didn't need foundation, my skin looked awesome on it's own:-)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Whoa Serenitee...not only do you look so much healthier, but so much happier too! Way to go!

Love the new hair:-)
Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Totally loved this. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Serenitee!! Your before picture looked pretty good, but your 2 months sober picture is amazing!!!

congrats to you, you are doing wonderfully.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Thanks guys- I feel alot healthier!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Good morning! I measured this morning and I've lost two inches off my waist....yeah!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I just love this thread! On day 11 here and the changes are starting to pile up. My face, well, looks like my face again! I had a lot of dry patches forever. Just thought I had a skin condition, which I did, it was called alcoholism. My skin is almost completely cleared up - still a little red but I'll take it. My clothes are loose and my concentration has also improved.

The big thing though is my eyes. People have always commented on them. However, over the last 3 years or so (maybe longer?), not one person has ever said anything. That's because they had become puffy and yellow. This morning as I was getting in the elevator at the office a woman was standing there. On our way up she said "You probably get this all the time but you have beautiful eyes". WOW. I know vanity isn't everything but I felt like crying actually. I'm not abusing myself anymore.

Thanks everyone for sharing!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

what I never realized was how dehydrated I was...(ice cubes in your wine do not make up for real liquids). my skin and my eyes were always dry and itchy. when I was drinking I haphazardly used some moisturizer and lip balm but it is not a substitute for what you really NEED to replace.

now a days, my skin looks 10X better even when i first wake up, I try to remember to consume my 64 ounces of water, herbal tea, seltzer..the only dehydrator is my morning coffee.

in the beginning of this thread, i think someone mentioned how their eyesight actually improved????
Old 08-18-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Yeah inbloom! That's wonderful:-) The eye's are the windows to our souls!

Fandy, I have noticed an improvement in my vision and the floaters are gone. Murray has noticed this too plus he is no longer as sensitive to light:-)