Notices

Physical Vanity???

Old 02-22-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

CC; congrats on Day 11.

Cats are majestic creatures from Lions to house cats...and they ALL love to groom!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm now on Sober Day 13....thanks to my resolve and the great advice and support from everyone here.

I've colored my hair, i blow dry it and am wearing make-up every day....even with the few cookies and chocolate i now have daily, I've lost a good deal of bloat and belly fat. I am able to wear some regular clothes instead of living my life in sweat pants. i may even put on a skirt and stockings this week, that hasn't happened in 2 years.

I am making better food choices, taking my vitamins/supplements and feel like a real person.....instead of a bad joke.

anybody else?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Bump....here you go Joseph1....
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

my last bump for Joseph1
Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

good 4 you
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
my last bump for Joseph1
WAIT!! What is a bump?? What do I do? haha sorry!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

a bump is not a "bad thing"....as threads do not get postings, they fall down the line...

"bumping" brings it to the top so it gets attention...i thought you would be interested, that's why I "bumped" it. no worries! enjoy....you might also like the "switching up liquor stores thread"
Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Fandy, those threads were such great conversations. It was funny watching people come out of the woodwork to share how ingenious we all thought we were on how to hide our frequent alcohol purchases by going to different locations and even having an excuse about another party coming up. I can remember worrying about whether the staff would "buy" my story about the fact that it was "my job" (and not someone else's at home) to buy the alcohol all the time. Sad, but I can smile at the humanity of it all. Well, the other side of it.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Ok I got this now And thank you. I love this one and will def check the Liquor Store thread
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm happy to report that on Sober Day #29....my face looks so much better, my eyes are clear, I have less dryness from constant dehydration......a steady consumption of water and herbal teas have done wonders as opposed to 8-10 glasses of wine each day....even with the chocolates and cookies I treat myself to, I am running a calorie deficit....my clothes are MUCH looser and my mid-section is greatly reduced.

I just started back exercising last weekend and my physical strength is returning....along with my sense of humor...I actually smile these days....my constant depression is no longer consuming me either....
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

To speak about the vanity (which I am not a stranger to)....I guess I am doing OK. I have been around 175 for the last few years. I dropped to 170 a while back, but am closer to 180 lately. Probably because I am filling my body with food on a routine basis. I think I like my face more than I did a month ago. Not sure if I am imagining it, bu it seems like it is looking healthier and easier to look at, ha ha. If that is true, I think it is by being more active. About as scientific as I get for the moment.

I'm one of those people who gets away with not exercising (to some observers, who would call me skinny - other people would notice I am not quite a masterpiece in progress). The beer belly is still there, but it isn't always noticeable because of my proportions (6ft, long arms, legs; generally lean looking). I am not worried about being Ab Central, but it would be nice to have less of a pregnant look, ha ha. But I would put my not drinking up there even higher though on things I am happy with.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

the more active you become, you will lose the fat proportionally and have more physical stamina....even walking for exercise and some weight bearing activities will give you more of an even look and muscle tone, prevent heart disease, etc...all those things the doctors say.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
the more active you become, you will lose the fat proportionally and have more physical stamina....even walking for exercise and some weight bearing activities will give you more of an even look and muscle tone, prevent heart disease, etc...all those things the doctors say.
Agreed! I have set a personal goal to lose 20 lbs and get my body fat back down to 15% (where it was 4 years ago).
Old 07-15-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

BUMP....for Ozgirl!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I absolutely love this thread! I've been smiling the whole time I'm reading it.

I want to write a whole bunch but it is so late.....or early.......

Thanks Fandy for bumping this!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I love it, I'm a 28 year old woman and until about 3 months ago I looked like an old drunk, because I was! Since I got sober I have a tan, always a manicure, my skin isn't peeling anymore, I've gained a healthy amount of weight, I have more muscle definition and look like I have energy, I've bought some nice clothes, I look "well" whereas people always used to ask if I was ill! AMAZING! and all of maintaining that still costs far less than I used to spend on booze and drugs and I have money left over to help clear my many 1000's of debt each month! I love it I don't care if it's superficial I feel good! Sobriety ROCKS!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereniTee View Post
I love it, I'm a 28 year old woman and until about 3 months ago I looked like an old drunk, because I was! Since I got sober I have a tan, always a manicure, my skin isn't peeling anymore, I've gained a healthy amount of weight, I have more muscle definition and look like I have energy, I've bought some nice clothes, I look "well" whereas people always used to ask if I was ill! AMAZING! and all of maintaining that still costs far less than I used to spend on booze and drugs and I have money left over to help clear my many 1000's of debt each month! I love it I don't care if it's superficial I feel good! Sobriety ROCKS!!!!
Hi Serenitee!

I'm 28 too and people were constantly asking me the same thing: do any of these ring a bell?

"Are you okay?"
"You look tired"
"You look sleepy"
"You look stressed out"
"What's wrong?"
"Why are your eyes so red?"

I suppose people were concerned but I think "You look tired" translates to "You look terrible."

What a way to start the day, huh? Questions and comments sent chills down my spine and stuck with me the rest of the day, making me feel self-conscious. I was grouchy every morning, of course, and ask in my head, "What is this, some sort of beauty contest? What's the fascination with how I look?! Don't worry about it!"

It was a catch 22 because I always wanted to wear my contacts so I could wear sunglasses to hide my eyes but I when I wore my contacts my eyes became even more red and irritated.

Oh the madness! I'm glad that's over with.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I am totally for enjoying the superficial results of stopping drinking. While not the reason to stop, it is nice to see evidence of the change you've made. In my 19 days, I feel thinner, my eyes are brighter, my skin is much less dry and my face is less bloated and red. Then there are the less superficial things like my liver doesn't feel sore and my gums don't seem as irritated/inflamed (did anyone else notice this when they were drinking?) It's exciting and just reinforces that this is the right decision. Nothing that makes you dry, inflamed, bloated and dingy-eyed can be good for you, right?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I now have definition in my waist, less of that abdominal bloat that makes me look like a fat, pudgy box....(I'm 53 and in the middle of menopause which the symptoms are made FAR WORSE by drinking....sometimes 18 hot flashes, palpitations, SOB, etc).

i'm not much for soda, maybe 1-2 diet gingerale or a grapefruit waist-watcher (made with splenda)...but I consume at least 6 cups of lemon zinger herbal tea each day and honey camm. at night...the difference between hydrated skin and dehydrated from too much wine is about 6-8 years off my face, less wrinkles especially around my eyes and lips.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

haha yeah Melinda my boss always used to ask what was wrong with me! It's SO nice to go into work with a smile ready for the day rather than full of shame with amnesia and feeling like crap! WOO!

Congrats hun xx