Notices

Physical Vanity???

Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
(I want Jay's phone)
Oh, btw... looks like cabernet runs 125 calories for a 5 oz. glass. 10 "BIG" glasses (7-8 oz) = 1,750 - 2,000 per night.

Just to put things into perspective.

I was in the SAME boat.

All I can say looking back is....
Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

or if i really want to HORRIFY myself .....roughly 14,000 that's 14 thousand EXTRA empty non nutritious calories a week.....I had to get off the wine websites, they looked too delicious...and they were SCREAMING about the health benefits...I'm not able to see that, i would go off racing to Joe Canal's and all my big talk right out the window.

Instead, (deep breath) I'll focus on in the last 4 days I have saved myself approximately somewhere between 6-8,000 calories and they were empty calories filled with sugar....hmmm, maybe my A1C levels will also drop, ya' think? I look forward to gaining up enough strength, stamina to get back to my gym too, my membership is paid for and unused, my home treadmill is probably the best place to start, the only one using it lately are the cats..as i sleep better, i'll get there too.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Alright, if you're getting the treadmill out, I will too I've got some backpacking trips coming up this summer and need to get in shape.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

...and they were SCREAMING about the health benefits...
I've read the same thing and, honestly, it's a lot of hype. Wine contains a higher concentration antioxidants (oligomeric proanthocyanidin) however grape juice has a higher amount per serving.

"Although in milligrams per ounce red wine may contain more OPCs than red grape juice, red grape juice contains more OPCs per average serving size. An 8 ounce serving of grape juice averages 124 milligrams OPCs, while a 5 ounce serving of red wine averages 91 milligrams."

Proanthocyanidin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I will clean the TV screen, check the cablebox...oil the belt on the treadmill (it tends to squeak)...my treadmill is covered with big towels which are covered with cat hair, sigh, more laundry....BUT to put a good spin on this...it sits in a room with a beautiful view,even the sunrise if I was up to see it. I could clean the lovely tile floor, French doors and enjoy the place everyday???? i even have a small weight bench and dumbbells.

I think i have my first goal to work towards, (lightbulb moment). Clean the Florida room and start walking on the treadmill in the AM...(like the old days)..watch the AM news, weather, current events, burn some calories, lower my BP.....shock my doctor!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Mrs

Yes, I went one night last week without drinking and at the gym the next morning somebody told how different I looked. I told them it was because I didn't have a hangover. They said I didn't look beat up. I told them it was because I didn't get drunk and fall down and hit my head or something. I think it was more that I didn't have red,puffy eyes and didn't squint like I had a headache.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

YouTube - Dave Buznik and Buddy Rydell sing "I Feel Pretty"
Old 02-19-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

i have not enjoyed a good "belly laugh" like that in a very long time! thank you!!!!! i forgot all about that movie.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It's a beautiful Sober Day 5!!! I see much more clearness in my eyes and less redness in my cheeks.....the "moon-face" and puffy eyes are definitely less prominent. i have much more energy and am breathing better, can walk up stairs easily, the swelling in my gut is less. I am drinking about 75-80 ounces of herbal tea...(don't like water in the winter)....getting in some light exercise today and chores, taking my vitamins.

I have incredible cravings for both salt and more sugar? Sugar is not usually my thing, but i am using more Splenda and eating some chocolate and a few cookies here and there? i guess it is to replace the sugar in all the alcohol....this needs to be addressed with some fruit as a replacement.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Fandy, some fruits are high in sugar and would be a better choice than cookies.

As to salt, you may actually be lacking if you are drinking lots and eating more healthy (in other words less of the highly salted processed stuff). Try a little salt on some healthy food and see if it helps. I prefer to use unrefined Celtic Sea Salt as opposed to highly processed sodium chloride "salt" which you find in supermarkets.

It's encouraging to hear about how you are physically improving in a few days. Well done.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Intention, i only have sea salt in the house....the other is not supposed to be good for HTN....i think i might be depleted because i was so dehydrated previously....i've been drinking a lot of custom mixed beef broth with small quantities of fresh veg. this week as my stomach got back in sync...between the GI virus and the withdrawal pains i didn't eat anything for almost 6 days....

looking better as opposed to looking like death warmed over, i'll take it....i noticed the real difference tying my sneakers the other day and bending over, no cutting off my air supply.

i'm going to the grocery today and will stock up on nice fruits like pineapple and berries, some apples for the week and some nice fresh veal to cook with peppers....i can't believe i want to cook a real dinner, i don't think i've done that in 2 months.

thanks for the advice.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Looks Motivate me

Two things that I inherited from my father - the alcohol bug and very good looks. People look at pictures of me only about 10 years and cannot believe me now. Who is that dude in the picture.

Stupid how I have ruined my self. I have been off the juice only over a week and my face is already much less bloated.

So as vain as it maybe, my appearence does motivate me.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Intention, i only have sea salt in the house....the other is not supposed to be good for HTN....i think i might be depleted because i was so dehydrated previously....i've been drinking a lot of custom mixed beef broth with small quantities of fresh veg. this week as my stomach got back in sync...between the GI virus and the withdrawal pains i didn't eat anything for almost 6 days....

looking better as opposed to looking like death warmed over, i'll take it....i noticed the real difference tying my sneakers the other day and bending over, no cutting off my air supply.

i'm going to the grocery today and will stock up on nice fruits like pineapple and berries, some apples for the week and some nice fresh veal to cook with peppers....i can't believe i want to cook a real dinner, i don't think i've done that in 2 months.

thanks for the advice.
Great, sounds like you are really taking care of yourself.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Bo; as i said when I started this thread (and keep ressurecting it)...I'll take support any way I can get it....vanity included. and Captain made some very good points about liking yourself when you look in the mirror...when you've not been drinking.

a few weeks ago, someone i work with that i went to undergrad school with also, brought in a yearbook picture of a group of us...there we all were short skirts from the mid-70s, fluffy hair, some fros, model figures, beautiful girls...., someone said, , "wow Fandy, you were gorgeous"....i could have cried....my friend STILL looks wonderful and she is just one year younger than i....i'm quite sure she doesn't bury her lips in a wineglass every evening....

so if it's calories and vanity that gets me sober, so be it, as long as i'm sober.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Another thing Motivates me

I am a believer. God gave me this wonderful body and life and who am I to ruin it? He also gave me a mind that can think. I know what my problem is and how to solve it.

No excuses - just get it done.

Not getting done is a mortal sin.

Again, that's just my opinion and I don't mean to push my beliefs on anyone else.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

your post was here at the right time....for all my big talk, i am feeling resentful right now that i can't" just have a few glasses of wine on the weekends"...thnks!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I dredged this up from a back page to report;

that after a full week without wine, I really do look better physically. my face is considerably less bloated as is my stomach....I estimate that I easily cut out 10-12,000 calories off my weekly intake (even with the few cookies and chocolates i've had to compensate the sugar cravings)...I am less winded, my resting HR is naturally lower and I am finally starting to sleep again...with a little help, but sleep deprivation is what sometimes makes me think drinking will help me sleep.

I am actually looking people in the eye again and i am SMILING...my sense of optimism seems to be making a small entrance too.....things can only improve from here.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

As a crack abuser, I didn't see the harm when I looked in the mirror. My triple chin went to a double, and now I only have a double chin when I laugh or make faces. I have a normal chin. I lost a lot of weight and used that excuse to continue smoking crack. Never mind the sores and yellow skin. The sallow eyes and the deadpan look. The look of no soul. Oh no, I was losing weight and I loved it. How sad that was all I focused on, besides getting my next rock.
I still have trouble looking in the mirror, today. My face is fine, but when I look at my body, I do not recognize it. I am, literally, HALF my former size. I was well on my way to 350 lbs before I got on crack. I still weigh around 190, after putting on some "clean time" weight. A lot of it is muscle as I love to walk and do the punching bag workout. When I look in the mirror, I catch myself asking who that is. Just something I am still getting used to.
I plan to keep the weight off, but without the use of crack. I should get a picture of it and tape it to the punching bag so I'll work out more. I have a picture of someone's face on it right now though. LOLOL.. But I need some more encouragement. I never liked working out, but I love walking, swimming, hiking, and punching that bag.
I say, whatever keeps you motivated to stay clean and sober, go with it. Look at yourself twenty times a day and enjoy what you see. Get some new make up or hair stuff and have at it. I love putting make up on again! I've not gotten any new (except for my bday and christmas) for a while, but I play with it anyway..
Now if I could only quit trying to figure out whose body that is, in the mirror. LOL. It's been over a year. I should know by now!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

i think it's really great that you are finding positives in being sober - such as how much better you look!!

i actually became obsessed with the opposite and missed my skin & bones body i had when I was using - i'd be lying if i said i didn't miss it..

however, i think any time you can appreciate your sobriety you should cherish those thoughts
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

im on day eleven...

I love to groom....donīt get me wrong...iīm a hetero sexual male...but I just love to groom!!!!!!!!!!