Question about liver burning?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1
Red face Question about liver burning?


A newbie here, I am a 35 year old woman, have 3 children and am in good general health. I eat sensibly, now drink sensibly, I do enjoy butter and dairy and could probably cut down a bit, but I am not overweight, in fact my bmi is spot on.

At college, University and the few years that followed I drank more than I should have (on average 25 - 35 units a week?) from the age of 18 until my early 30's. About 4 years ago I first noticed a 'mild burning' sensation on my right hand side, just under my ribcage. I have been pregnant twice in the last 4 years so have had nearly 2 years off drink nearly totally in this time. I know when I have been pregnant I have not had this sensation. For the last 12 months I have really cut down on my alcohol intake and drink 1-2 times per week, 3-4 units a time (max 10 units a week now.)

I would describe the sensation as a mild burning pain, sometimes nearer the front, sometimes nearer the back, and sometimes right up into my shoulder blade.neck area. Some days I don't feel it at all.

I am very worried to raise this issue with anyone and have never discussed it with anyone, not my husband, not my doctor as am frightened of the results/process to find out what the problem is. I am also on a course of antibiotics, and read the small print that you shouldn't take with liver disease......??

I have taken milk thistle supplement on/off for a year.

What should I do - stop my alcohol intake all together and see if it goes away? How long would it take to konw this? Take a liver function test (quickcheck?) Cut out all dairies incase its fatty liver? I find it strange that when I abstained whilst pregnant I didn't have any pain, but now mild intake seems to trigger it.

I do not foresee alcholol as a problem, but if it has triggered this then it must be. I do not abuse alcohol. In the past I probably have by binge drinking and getting drunk at uni, but most of my friends did too? I now drink a glass of wine with a meal or a beer with a pizza, its not like I am drinking bottles of vodka every night!?

Help, I am very worried and love my family so much I don't want to have done permanent irreversible damage :O ((
snowyday is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,013
See a doctor
NEOMARXIST is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere along the Delaware River, Pennsylvania
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
See a doctor
Agreed. Not to sound harsh, but sitting around worrying about it isn't doing a thing to solve your problem. Listen to Neomarxist, see a doctor and be honest with him or her. I know it's hard; it was hard for me to finally drag myself into my doctor's office, admit total defeat and ask for medication to get me through withdrawal. Do what the doctor tells you...and if you must stop drinking, come here for support. We are not medical professionals, but we can share with you our experiences and advice.

Wishing you good health.
lostmyway is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover
least's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SF Bay area, CA
Posts: 99,520
I agree: see a doctor. We cannot give medical advice here so seeing your doctor is the best way to find out what's going on.
least is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!
Tazman53's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Posts: 9,730
See a doctor please.
Tazman53 is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jamdls's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,405
A simple blood test to check your liver enzymes would likely answer your questions
jamdls is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Anna's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dancing in the Light
Posts: 61,090
Yes, for sure see your dr.
Anna is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
smacked's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: La La Land, USA
Posts: 2,567
See the doc, it's a really simple blood test to see if it's your liver.. or something else (gall bladder, etc..)
smacked is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dee74's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 210,558
Again, please see a Dr.
Noone here is qualified to give you advice, snowyday

Dee74 is offline  
Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow
intention's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South East of England
Posts: 1,521
Hi and welcome.

I have just looked up that test you mention. It cost 10.50 and tests your urine.

If you go to the GP he is going to test your blood. There is a reason why GPs would do a blood test in the first instance, rather than a urine test, so you really have to question what the results would mean of that home test.

This is not something you can diagnose yourself with. It may not even be your liver. It may be something else which needs to be investigated.

I would guess the fear you are living in at the moment trying to deal with his on your own is far worse that how you will feel if you go to the doctors and get it sorted. It's the best thing you can do for those 3 kids - having mum worry about something which may not need to be worried about is not what they want for you.

Take care of yourself.
intention is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 AM.