SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Question about liver burning? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/194406-question-about-liver-burning.html)

snowyday 02-10-2010 06:58 AM

Question about liver burning?

Hi

A newbie here, I am a 35 year old woman, have 3 children and am in good general health. I eat sensibly, now drink sensibly, I do enjoy butter and dairy and could probably cut down a bit, but I am not overweight, in fact my bmi is spot on.

At college, University and the few years that followed I drank more than I should have (on average 25 - 35 units a week?) from the age of 18 until my early 30's. About 4 years ago I first noticed a 'mild burning' sensation on my right hand side, just under my ribcage. I have been pregnant twice in the last 4 years so have had nearly 2 years off drink nearly totally in this time. I know when I have been pregnant I have not had this sensation. For the last 12 months I have really cut down on my alcohol intake and drink 1-2 times per week, 3-4 units a time (max 10 units a week now.)

I would describe the sensation as a mild burning pain, sometimes nearer the front, sometimes nearer the back, and sometimes right up into my shoulder blade.neck area. Some days I don't feel it at all.

I am very worried to raise this issue with anyone and have never discussed it with anyone, not my husband, not my doctor as am frightened of the results/process to find out what the problem is. I am also on a course of antibiotics, and read the small print that you shouldn't take with liver disease......??

I have taken milk thistle supplement on/off for a year.

What should I do - stop my alcohol intake all together and see if it goes away? How long would it take to konw this? Take a liver function test (quickcheck?) Cut out all dairies incase its fatty liver? I find it strange that when I abstained whilst pregnant I didn't have any pain, but now mild intake seems to trigger it.

I do not foresee alcholol as a problem, but if it has triggered this then it must be. I do not abuse alcohol. In the past I probably have by binge drinking and getting drunk at uni, but most of my friends did too? I now drink a glass of wine with a meal or a beer with a pizza, its not like I am drinking bottles of vodka every night!?

Help, I am very worried and love my family so much I don't want to have done permanent irreversible damage :O ((

NEOMARXIST 02-10-2010 07:01 AM

See a doctor

lostmyway 02-10-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST (Post 2511776)
See a doctor

Agreed. Not to sound harsh, but sitting around worrying about it isn't doing a thing to solve your problem. Listen to Neomarxist, see a doctor and be honest with him or her. I know it's hard; it was hard for me to finally drag myself into my doctor's office, admit total defeat and ask for medication to get me through withdrawal. Do what the doctor tells you...and if you must stop drinking, come here for support. We are not medical professionals, but we can share with you our experiences and advice.

Wishing you good health.

least 02-10-2010 07:28 AM

I agree: see a doctor. We cannot give medical advice here so seeing your doctor is the best way to find out what's going on.

Tazman53 02-10-2010 08:03 AM

See a doctor please.

jamdls 02-10-2010 09:07 AM

A simple blood test to check your liver enzymes would likely answer your questions

Anna 02-10-2010 10:41 AM

Yes, for sure see your dr.

smacked 02-10-2010 12:11 PM

See the doc, it's a really simple blood test to see if it's your liver.. or something else (gall bladder, etc..)

Dee74 02-10-2010 12:29 PM

Again, please see a Dr.
Noone here is qualified to give you advice, snowyday :)

D

intention 02-10-2010 02:43 PM

Hi and welcome.

I have just looked up that test you mention. It cost £10.50 and tests your urine.

If you go to the GP he is going to test your blood. There is a reason why GPs would do a blood test in the first instance, rather than a urine test, so you really have to question what the results would mean of that home test.

This is not something you can diagnose yourself with. It may not even be your liver. It may be something else which needs to be investigated.

I would guess the fear you are living in at the moment trying to deal with his on your own is far worse that how you will feel if you go to the doctors and get it sorted. It's the best thing you can do for those 3 kids - having mum worry about something which may not need to be worried about is not what they want for you.

Take care of yourself.