View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
snowyday

Red face Question about liver burning?

Hi

A newbie here, I am a 35 year old woman, have 3 children and am in good general health. I eat sensibly, now drink sensibly, I do enjoy butter and dairy and could probably cut down a bit, but I am not overweight, in fact my bmi is spot on.

At college, University and the few years that followed I drank more than I should have (on average 25 - 35 units a week?) from the age of 18 until my early 30's. About 4 years ago I first noticed a 'mild burning' sensation on my right hand side, just under my ribcage. I have been pregnant twice in the last 4 years so have had nearly 2 years off drink nearly totally in this time. I know when I have been pregnant I have not had this sensation. For the last 12 months I have really cut down on my alcohol intake and drink 1-2 times per week, 3-4 units a time (max 10 units a week now.)

I would describe the sensation as a mild burning pain, sometimes nearer the front, sometimes nearer the back, and sometimes right up into my shoulder blade.neck area. Some days I don't feel it at all.

I am very worried to raise this issue with anyone and have never discussed it with anyone, not my husband, not my doctor as am frightened of the results/process to find out what the problem is. I am also on a course of antibiotics, and read the small print that you shouldn't take with liver disease......??

I have taken milk thistle supplement on/off for a year.

What should I do - stop my alcohol intake all together and see if it goes away? How long would it take to konw this? Take a liver function test (quickcheck?) Cut out all dairies incase its fatty liver? I find it strange that when I abstained whilst pregnant I didn't have any pain, but now mild intake seems to trigger it.

I do not foresee alcholol as a problem, but if it has triggered this then it must be. I do not abuse alcohol. In the past I probably have by binge drinking and getting drunk at uni, but most of my friends did too? I now drink a glass of wine with a meal or a beer with a pizza, its not like I am drinking bottles of vodka every night!?

Help, I am very worried and love my family so much I don't want to have done permanent irreversible damage :O ((