Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do you know if you need to quit? How do you? I'm young but on a bad, bad road...

Notices

How do you know if you need to quit? How do you? I'm young but on a bad, bad road...

Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy How do you know if you need to quit? How do you? I'm young but on a bad, bad road...

I don't even know where to start. I started drinking when I first got to college.... I had a lot of fun, I remembered most of my nights out until my last two years. Then I started blacking out probably every time I drink. I still do, unless I drink at home. If I drink at home, I can deal with 4-5 shots and not black out. If I go out, that's another story.

I have been to the ER because I fell on my face... twice in a row. I had to get a CAT scan and I screamed profanities at the nurses. I pissed myself on purpose. I'm against fighting. Another trip to the ER, I was found passed out on the tailgate of a bread truck. My last trip I sliced my body open with a kitchen knife and got 30 staples. I've blacked out probs 100 times or more but I just can't stop. How do you have fun without alcohol??? How do you know if you have a problem to the point where you can't just cut it down? I'm moving to NYC for grad school this Fall and I can't imagine having fun without it.. even though I almost failed out of undergrad because of drugs and alcohol. I quit smoking cigarettes and flushed my prescription pills down the toilet. I can handle that. I can't handle quitting alcohol.

I tried going without alcohol at the start of the summer and I made it about a week, then I just said screw it and drank. I don't drink every day, but I look forward to my next drink. I get really down on myself about my looks, social abilities, and intelligence even though, deep down, I know that I shouldn't be self-conscious about any of those.

When I drink, my insecurity goes away and I can see myself for who I am. Until I forget who I am. It's a love-hate relationship, you see. Where do I start? I can't get away from alcohol because my mom drinks a lot. Last time I tried quitting, I walked 4 miles home from a bar she drove me to (I didn't know we were going to eat at a bar) and she said I was being ridiculous when I told her I'm trying to quit. I'm only 21 and I don't know if I am on the road to bad news.....
Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi WTG, and welcome to SR. From what you are saying, it sounds like drugs and alcohol are already jeopardizing your future. You have provided evidence of that. I'm glad you are taking stock of the negative effects of drinking. Looking that in the eye is the first part of making a plan to leave alcohol behind if that is what you choose. Drinking is a very convenient way to temporarily bolster self-esteem. I've certainly done that. However, for me, the positive effects gave way in time to despair and self loathing. If you want to let drinking go, then I encourage you to seek out recovery resources on your college campus or in the town where you live. There are several options for this. This site can provide valuable information on what these sources are. In addition, I've found the people on this site to be very supportive, non-judgmental, and caring. All the best for you and I hope you find some clarity. Sounds like you could have a bright future indeed ahead of you.
Cheers,
cas
Old 07-12-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi whosthisguy - welcome

There's a lot of support around - everything from AA and other recovery groups, to individual counselling, seeing your Dr, inpatient or outpatient rehab, and of course places like SR.

There are thousands of us here - some of us live with drinkers, some go to college - all of us live in a world of drinkers...but we don't drink.

It's possible - and it's very possible to live sober and be blissfully happy into the bargain....

you just have to decide how much you're prepared to do, and how much you're prepared to change, to make that happen

I can tell you what not to do tho - do nothing and you'll find in 10, or 20 years this problem is so big it loses you everything you care about and even comes to threaten your life.

D
Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like right now you are a serious binge drinker. I started out the same way in college. I only drank on weekends, but it was always until black-out. I managed to graduate and move into the working world but my drinking progressed to a few drinks after work on weekdays and super-drunk on weekends, to pass-out drunk every night (mostly drinking alone), and finally to downing vodka everyday, all-day.

Alcoholism is progressive and trust me, if you don't get help now things will get much, much worse!!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds to me like alcohol is causing a lot of problems in your life, and not so much fun.

I hope that you stick around here and decide to quite for good. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse if you don't stop.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whosthisguy View Post
I don't even know where to start. I started drinking when I first got to college.... I had a lot of fun, I remembered most of my nights out until my last two years. Then I started blacking out probably every time I drink. I still do, unless I drink at home. If I drink at home, I can deal with 4-5 shots and not black out. If I go out, that's another story.

I have been to the ER because I fell on my face... twice in a row. I had to get a CAT scan and I screamed profanities at the nurses. I pissed myself on purpose. I'm against fighting. Another trip to the ER, I was found passed out on the tailgate of a bread truck. My last trip I sliced my body open with a kitchen knife and got 30 staples. I've blacked out probs 100 times or more but I just can't stop. How do you have fun without alcohol??? How do you know if you have a problem to the point where you can't just cut it down? I'm moving to NYC for grad school this Fall and I can't imagine having fun without it.. even though I almost failed out of undergrad because of drugs and alcohol. I quit smoking cigarettes and flushed my prescription pills down the toilet. I can handle that. I can't handle quitting alcohol.

I tried going without alcohol at the start of the summer and I made it about a week, then I just said screw it and drank. I don't drink every day, but I look forward to my next drink. I get really down on myself about my looks, social abilities, and intelligence even though, deep down, I know that I shouldn't be self-conscious about any of those.

When I drink, my insecurity goes away and I can see myself for who I am. Until I forget who I am. It's a love-hate relationship, you see. Where do I start? I can't get away from alcohol because my mom drinks a lot. Last time I tried quitting, I walked 4 miles home from a bar she drove me to (I didn't know we were going to eat at a bar) and she said I was being ridiculous when I told her I'm trying to quit. I'm only 21 and I don't know if I am on the road to bad news.....
Welcome to the forum.

You sound even worse than me at 21 and that's saying something!

I drank and drugged for fifty years to overcome shyness, family, society etc just to feel sort of 'normal'. Drink does't make you see who you are at all......you end up with a bizarre distorted vision of yourself.

I took benzos for 35 years too......what a pathetic mess they can make of you, what with w/drawl, doctor shopping, being chased out of clinics etc.

Essentially if you want to stop you need here, along with outside support groups, in my case AA.

Things for us addicts don't get better, despite the intermittent pseudo highs.
Part of the downward spiral is to imagine...'one day I will overcome all this'

You are at a great age to move on.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Whosthisguy! I think you'll find the support & encouragement here amazing.

I felt the same as you when I was your age. Unfortunately, I never did what you're doing. I never admitted what alcohol was doing to my life. As a result, it almost destroyed me. I thought being sober would be dull - but I was the one who was boring. Numb, foggy, blacking out - never making a move without it. I never experienced life the way I should have - and it cost me dearly. I'm glad you've decided to look at what it's doing to you. We're here to listen and help.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! From what you describe it doesn't sound like drinking is any fun at all, so why should life be dull without it? I used to wonder what I'd do if I didn't drink - now I find I can do anything I want and do it better too.

You can do this. You've come to a great place for support.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thank you all for your support, it means a lot... I just feel so lost. None of my friends feel like I have a problem, but that's because they are all just like me. I wish you knew how lost I felt. I'm sure you do because you have all been there at some point..... I just don't know what point I need to be lifted to, to see that I am on such a path. It's weird.... it's like half of me is an outside observer seeing that I'm ******* my life up, the other half is justifying it because it's a legal drug and it helps me feel good. It sucks so badly. Hevyn--I want to reply to your PM as a local here, but I don't have 5 posts yet. . I will keep visiting the forum, though, and try to keep you updated on my journey. I fear that I won't be able to get clean until I can move and go to therapy or outpatient rehab. I have health insurance but I can't get something stable here quite yet... skdl;fadncsnij1n3rgwdksa.

I feel like I can't do this. I was addicted to amphetamines, speed, but I feel like alcohol is the demon that will never ever leave me....
Old 07-12-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wish I would have been as bright as you are, WTG. I had a similar story at your age but did not grow smart enough to consider stopping alcohol abuse for 20 more years. It's effects on the quality of life get worse. Keep reading up on SR and try to find tools that help you.

I hope you find success and have a splendid time in your young years.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It seriously breaks my heart.... Why can't I just be like normal people and drink a few drinks and be okay? My uncle is just like me. He has his MBA, he has several degrees, he married someone with his PhD. He's a functional alcoholic. I kind of want that to be me.... but .... on another note, I don't. I know I don't want to be on the floor pounding my fists because my partner got the mail and I'm used to checking the mail. Everything is so confusing. I don't know why I can't drink like normal people. Or can I? I don't know if I'm an alcoholic or not. I've talked to my doctor, neither does she............ This is so hard. Alcohol is part of American society, isn't it? WHY CAN'T I BE NORMAL. This **** runs in my family. Some are okay, some aren't. I think I can be one of the ones who are okay. But I don't know if I should be. I just want this to be over. I'm too young to deal with this.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What is there to do for fun without alcohol? I am so torn.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Doesnt sound like you are having too much fun, whosthisguy.

But you keep asking what there is to do?

The answer is that life can be truly amazing.

You sound like a pretty young guy, and Im telling you, I really wish I had quit when I was younger.

Life is better in every single way sober. I really don't even want it any other way. But it takes some time. I had the same doubts.

Honestly, I love all the same things that I did before, and more.

Im more productive, more creative, I remember more, and Im really THERE. I really actually LIVE AND EXPERIENCE things, instead of going through them numbed up.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It’s fairly easy to determine if you are an alcoholic or not. Remember a time when you said you were going to have two or three drinks and no more. Were you able to do that or did you continue drinking past the point where you said you would not. Can you do it now?

You have said you can’t leave it alone for more than about a week. You also said that you are getting injured fairly often when you drink. These things point to a fairly significant problem.

The good news is that there is life after you give up alcohol. A good life. You just have not been far enough down that road to realize it yet.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey! Welcome to SR!

I moved to NYC when I was in my early 20's and I quickly got into a LOT of trouble because of drinking and drugs. NYC is the PERFECT place to get into a LOT of trouble because the city is almost like a giant cruise ship with drinks coming out of everywhere and lines on the back of every toilet! (oh joy!).

The best part was that I joined AA for the first time in NYC when I was a young'un like you and I LOVED it! I met other sober people my age and I ended up seeing so much more of the city and enjoying myself so much more.

What did I do for fun? All kinds of stuff that didn't include staying home and reading the bible. I went out and did all the stuff most people do, except I was sober. I worked out, I went to museums, did AA social stuff, I saw lots of music and theater, created my own art and music, etc...

The problem was that I thought I had drinking under control, so I started again. Then the real shizz hit the fan and I seriously almost died and had other horrible things happen to me because I was all f'ed up again. I wish I had stayed sober.

You can do it! Take it seriously. You will not regret it?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi WTG,
You do sound like a super smart guy. I don't know and just my opinion but I'm not so sure that if I were you I would stop focusing so much on the fun you think you will be missing but maybe more on what kind of person and what kind of life do you want to live?

Seriously, write down all the things you would like to do and the person you would like to be. Then take a look at what's been happening to you when you drink and ask yourself if that sounds like the path that will take you there.

Don't confuse fun with fulfilling. All fun is pretty momentary if you think about it. Fulfilling is a different thing. It's deeper and more lasting and when you find that, guess what? That's where you will find the real fun.

I'm sorry this is hard for you. You are so young and you shouldn't have to be so tormented with this. Not to sound superficial or anything but there are a lot of young celebrities and musicians and artists who have chosen not to drink. Not even because they had a problem. They just figured out they couldn't achieve what they wanted if they did the party thing.

There are a lot of them that look like they are having a whole lot of fun to me. Doing what they love and being incredibly successful at it. That sounds pretty fun.

I hope you find your path. You will find a lot of support here no matter what.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

glad yer here.
you asked this:
"How do you know if you have a problem to the point where you can't just cut it down? "

and I think ya answered with this:
"I have been to the ER because I fell on my face... twice in a row. I had to get a CAT scan and I screamed profanities at the nurses. I pissed myself on purpose. I'm against fighting. Another trip to the ER, I was found passed out on the tailgate of a bread truck. My last trip I sliced my body open with a kitchen knife and got 30 staples. I've blacked out probs 100 times or more but I just cant stop."

how do I have fun without alcohol? in ways I never would have imagined!!fun is all im my perception. I can have fun doin anything from doin the dishes to ridin my motorcycle if I perceive it as fun.
however, it took a LOT of work on changing me and my attitudes to get there.
to do that, I had to want to stop drinking and not want to be who I was anymore and be willing to do whatever I had to do to change.
it was pretty wild. I learned real quick there were really only 2 things I knew how to do: work and get drunk. havin fun??? I had absolutely no idea how to do that without alcohol. but as time went on, I saw that fun was all an internal thing for me.
I can have a riot just takin my dog up to the ball diamonds and watchin him run around havin a riot!( my avatar is my lil buddy at the ball diamonds. he sure was havin fun and happy!)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by whosthisguy View Post

You are never too young to recognize you have a problem. I wish I had noticed my issues developing when I was your age, I would be much farther in life than I currently am, but I am still thankful as hell to be sober and healthy now. If it is causing you this much trouble, then you already know the answer to if its an issue or not. It sounds like your intelligent and have a good sense of self. I would ask yourself why you drink, look at your family history, and be proactive. You can change now, its not too early at all. Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Making the decision to quit is the hardest part. You can't imagine your life without alcohol. NewYear's Eve without alcohol?? Vacation without drinking?? Going to a wedding without getting drunk?? Your brain can't imagine it. But I'm here to tell you I was pleasantly surprised I had just as much fun at these times without alcohol, and no nasty hangover the next day!! You can do this! It sounds like you have reached a point where you can no longer drink like "normal drinkers", the people we all envy, who can drink in moderation and not think about it, the way nonsmokers don't think about cigarettes. I know I can't ever go back to that way, sadly, because alcohol occupied too much of my brain: At some point, things changed, and I thought about alcohol, looked forward to it, knew how much alcohol was in the house at all times so I didn't have to panic that there wouldn't be enough, and it became more of a "have to have" and took more and more to reach my happy place. It's a downhill slide further and further into insanity. It's all so mental! The only thing that saved me was reading Craig Beck's book, "Alcohol Lied to Me" which explains the insanity, and how you can quit without cravings. Good luck to you! You are searching, like I was, gathering information, and this is a good sign you are ready to quit. You realize you don't want to live the way you have been forever! Best wishes to you!!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey whois -- I just posted this idea in another thread, but I thought myself so clever for thinking of it I thought I'd mention it to you...

In college, see if there are "clubs" for social dancing -- ballroom, English country, whatever. You meet people (pretty up close and personal) and I've never seen alcohol served at dances like this. And a single man is GOLDEN in those situations!!