Notices

Coping

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coping

Hello everyone. I am new new to this site as well as the AA Fellowship.
I have been clean and sober for 38 days now. If it wasn't for AA I truly believe
that I wouldn't be here right now. I have been using drugs and alcohol since the age of 14, I am 51 years old now. After some thought, I can honestly say
that I am an addict. I have been told to take it one day at a time which I do to the best of my ability. My biggest problem right now is trying to cope with what is going on in my life. My whole life I have used drugs and alcohol to cope and I know longer have that option. I would appreciate some feedback from people who have had the same problem. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi T,
Well, in my short 31 days my experience has been that things are actually EASIER sober, with a clear head. I've had situations where I've wanted to pick up a drink and then about 10 more, but didn't, and was actually glad for it. Because, really, drinking never made anything better.

You should be gentle with yourself. You are breaking slowly out of a shell like a baby chick. You'll be a little wobbly at first, but trust me, there's a whole world waiting for you outside that tiny little shell you outgrew. It might have been comfortable, because at least you knew what to expect, but I promise, sobriety gets better mentally and physically every single day.

Especially in the wobbly stage, where your emotions might be strong reactions to your environment, post here, vent, ask for help. We're all here to help, and we understand.

Take good care - and peace to you.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TREEENT

Welcome. I don't 'do' AA but I've done my fair share of coping with life without booze and drugs.

It can be hard - real hard - and frightening at first - after all we spent years trying our best not to have to feel like this...

But always remember you're not alone - reach out and ask for help when you need it...and, as they say in the rooms, always remember there's nothing a drink can't make worse

As you deal with more and more stuff sober, it gets easier and easier not to think of drinking as the first option response....and you may actually solve a few problems instead of just avoiding them

Good to have you aboard
D
Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. We do recover.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Welcome!

Emotions are the hardest part for me. I still have occasions where I think to drink but like someone else said, it doesnt solve anything.

Take the baby steps until you feel ready to take the toddler steps...dont pick up a drink, easy does it, let go and let god....all those things!

hang in there and post here as much as you like...i did in my first couple of weeks!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to you!

By 31 days i was working on my step 8! Do you have a sponsor and are you working the steps, if so what step are you on:-)

Just in case i miss your reply, the freedom and the ability to cope will come as you work through the steps...particlarly on step 9 and by the time you start working step 10...it's all in the Big Book, the sponsor is so you can understand what it all means and how to work them...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Just in case i miss your reply, the freedom and the ability to cope will come as you work through the steps...particlarly on step 9 and by the time you start working step 10...it's all in the Big Book, the sponsor is so you can understand what it all means and how to work them...
Hi Trent and welcome.

The answer to coping with a sober life is in working all the 12 steps. How are you getting on?

Before you work the 12 steps, you stay sober on will-power. This is tough particularly as you have no way of coping with the new found emotions which you are experiencing which used to be supressed with drugs and alcohol. Will-power does not last for long.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you

I want to thank everyone for the advice and support. As to the questions asked. Yes I do have a sponser but she is not always available. She just started going to school during the day and she works at night. I really like her but I don,t want to overburden her. So I talked with some people in AA and they suggest that I look for another sponser. So at the moment I am looking for a second sponser. As far as working the steps, I am currently working the second step. The problem I am having with this step is I have never had any any education about what God is so I am somewhat confused as to what spirituality is. The people in my AA group have been helping me with this step. They tell me to fake it till I make it, so I make sure I get down on my knees in the morning and at night before bed. I thank whatever is out the for keeping me clean and sober for that day. I also use AA as my highr power.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Lots of good advice, here!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on beginning your new life....

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Trent

Good luck with finding a new sponsor.

As to Step 2, there is currently a discussion ongoing in the Step 2 forum which may be of help to you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...conceited.html