Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Ya I'm new. After drinking on a daily basis for the past 7 years I've done alot of thinking and want to try to stop. Drinking has caused nothing but problems for me between my DUI I got 2 yrs ago and losing friends and fights with family members. For several months each week I kept telling myself oh next week I'll start drinking only on weekends but obviously that plan never happened. I'm tired of alcohol taking over my life. I've planned my days around my drinking schedule being that I no longer drink n drive I run all my errands first thing in the morning so I have all day and night to drink. I stopped hangin out with friends on a regular basis 2 yrs ago since I stopped drinking and driving I chose to stay home so I can drink instead of going out and having to be sober. I feel like I have become a slave to alcohol and am ready to break free from that. I am kinda scared about what being sober will be like since it's been awhile. It's like I don't even know who I really am. I have always drank thinking being sober would be so boring. I don't have any sober friends to talk to so I came here.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I was really, really scared to think about stopping drinking too. I couldn't imagine what I would do in the evenings without a drink. The fear of living a sober life, kept in the cycle of addiction. Take a look around the boards and you will see that we are not a boring bunch.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your post speaks so much about the truth of this addiction. We are a slave to it until we make the decision not to be. I do love being free from trying to control the amount to drink each evening and whether I will or not. I always started the day strong with willpower, but come 2 pm I was planning my evening of drinking.

Welcome to SR and I hope it helps you as much as it has me. If you don't have any sober people around you might want to look for a recovery group nearby. Just so you have options, but it is totally up to you. Glad to "see" you here!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Noelle~

Good for you for reaching out. You'll find alot of people were scared at first. The unknown is always scary. So is change.

I tried all of the 'control' things for a very long time until alcohol finally had such a tight grip on me that I wanted to die. I knew it was my time to change.

Living sober (not just putting down the drink) has been the best change in my life. I've never laughed so hard or lived so fully and still remember everything the next day! How amazing.

I also thought I'd be bored being sober. To tell you the truth, I'm more active now and don't have enough time some days to do all I want to do.

You're in good company. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care,
HumbleBee
Old 01-11-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GN

I remember being scared too - but you picked a great site
You'll find a lot of support and help - and a lot of joy and laughter - here.

Welcome
D
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Please stick around and read/post.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! We do recover.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

You will meet many of us who are winning over alcohol
glad you decided to join us.....
Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. A great decission to come here

I can relate so much to your plan about drinking only on weekends. I also had planes and rules to allow me to keep drinking. Tried to fool myself and succeeded for a long time.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hello and welcome. Keep in touch
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Gnarly.
I felt the same way about the boredom and when I started to think about my friends I realized that I had never seen most of them sober ever and vice versa.
You will find other activities and make sober friends so hang in there.
Kudos on learning the drinking and driving lesson the first time out.
Good luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, there ..im new to this too, i have been reading some of the others post and like the others i agree that we pretty much are slaves to the alcohol. It does get better day by day, i pretty much have had to re-learn to do things sober and it has been really hard, but once i accepted it and told people that i dont drink, they pretty much understand, and believe it or not all of my friends that still do drink are very supportive and do not try to put me into any uncomfortable situations. Being honest and not ashamed to admit that i am an alcoholic makes me alot stronger!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome! Glad you are here. Lots of nice people and good ideas. Hope you keep coming back and posting.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Maahlis and welcome