# 182 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by discoveringme View Post
Im in!!! January 27th is day one!!! Feel like crapolla tho...lolol
It can only get better when you are sober...well done
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I'm in. It's embarrassing to have all the posts under my name and be joining this group but here I am. My first year at SR was my first year ever sober....haven't been able to hold it together since then.

You look like a really nice group of people and I look forward to meeting all of you.

Oh, 6 days without booze but for the first time I'm also dumping the benzo's. Alcohol is my thing but to not have the anti anxiety pills around.....it feels like somebody just ripped off my baby blanket....sniff sniff

So four days off the pills too!!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Dean and welcome to the January group.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Hi intention. Thank you for the welcome.

I have a Wayne Dyer book. I can't remember the name of it, my memory is so bad I would have to read it all over again to tell you what it was about but he has some good stuff. I just started reading a book by Emmet Fox. Actually I was about half way through then....well you know....I am here. But I just started reading it again. Really good stuff.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Just wanted to say its nice to wake up without a hang over. I have never really tried to to quit boozing and it was hard coming to terms with the fact that I needed to. Still all I will say is I will not drink today. You guys will have to get used to me telling you that each day.

Dean, I for one are glad you are in our group. Maybe you can help us to understand potential pitfalls. Glad you had enough of what it takes to come back and face the wind. No need to be embarrassed.

Keep posting guys! We need to stand together!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Hi Intime. Thank you for the encouraging words, made me feel good. I can tell you pitfalls I have run into. Thinking about it I have done just about everything wrong at some point so if your asking me what not to do I have the potential to be really good at this.

Pitfall number one as pertains to support groups. When I stop posting or going to meetings or whatever form of support I have tried it is just a matter of time before I drink again. Isolation leaves me with my own head and thoughts and there is a part of me that likes to get drunk so....I am with you on checking in here every day. There will be days I have nothing to say and don't want to come here, feel sorry for myself or something silly, it usually is the small things. I suggest not just reading but posting every day.

I look forward to hearing you say you will not drink today and I really really mean that.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
Hi intention. Thank you for the welcome.

I have a Wayne Dyer book. I can't remember the name of it, my memory is so bad I would have to read it all over again to tell you what it was about but he has some good stuff.
It's all good stuff. He talks a lot about God in a spiritual sense, rather than the religious sense which I could never relate to.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahG View Post
I would love to join the class of January....

Tomorrow will be my first day sober.
Hi Mariah, good to see you join! I hope your first sober day went well.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

A close one today, I picked up some epherdrine for a friend with the intention of taking some myself.

I knew i was doing wrong and said to myself "I'll just read SR about them first before i take them" - glad I did, because it made me throw them away. I want to keep a clear mind... not that it was an easy choice mind you!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Dean,
I agree with you wholeheartedly that support is important to keep the brain on the right track. I went a few days without reading or posting here, and it was then that cravings started really hitting me.

I still wrestle with them, of course...I mean, it took YEARS for me to get where I was in my addiction, so it would be silly to expect that it would be no muss, no fuss, easy peasy. But, reading and posting here helps me tremendously with perspective. And it helps me remember why I couldn't take it anymore and voluntarily quit in the first place, wanting nothing more than to be free of this addiction.

:ghug3
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Humble and the rest, I don't know about you guys but to me I can honestly say that if I had not committed here, in writing that I was not going to crack open an adult beverage yesterday, I most likely would have.

I'm not saying that if you if you do not see my daily post you will know I quit my quit but you would be right in suspecting that I have. I have never done anything worthwhile without committing to it and ensuring I have reminders of what I am committed to. The short of it is, more then a couple times yesterday I wish I had not committed here....that I would not drink, so I could take the path of least resistance to a drink.

Maybe its just me. Yesterday seemed particularly hard. I'm not sure why but cravings were not excruciating but seemed to nag at me like Pit Bull clamped to my leg. I found myself watching the clock to ensure I made it to midnight then luckily I fell asleep. I know I will not make it in these beginning days without this place and you guys.

So post up my friends.... we need to hold each other accountable, or at least you need to hold me accountable until I a get some sober days behind me and find something else to lean on. Wish that damn book would come in.... Where are you Dean? Maybe we should have a daily roll call.

I am worried about this weekend. I have to get some plans made to avoid booze. But I truly am happy I did not drink yesterday. I am on day 4 and proud of myself. I will take my bow now. Good job Intime...

Day 3 is over and I'm staring at day 4. I think I am too far into this to turn back. Today I will commit once again to not drink...I will not drink today.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by jan24 View Post
Hey, maybe we CAN all do this, in our own different ways.
I agree, we stick together but our paths don't have to be the same.

For me this morning has been calm and peaceful. I spent some time with the dogs and did my morning readings and prayer. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night but it seems like it is enough for now. I am going to try and go donate then stop by the Doctors for my bi-weekly T shot.

I didn't know you could still get epherdrine Arifical. I used to take a lot of that years ago. That is some unhealthy stuff, I'm so glad you take any.

Hi Omega10.

Originally Posted by humblestudent View Post
I still wrestle with them, of course...I mean, it took YEARS for me to get where I was in my addiction, so it would be silly to expect that it would be no muss, no fuss, easy peasy.
Well said.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Good morning Intime, your post wasn't there when I posted. Good post , I'm out the door now.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

I seen that now.. Goodmorning to you and hope you have GREAT day!!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

meetings

Ok, yes....Ms procrastinator has gotten off her duff and checked into some local meetings (No, have not went, just trying to get organized time wise)

what does "open and closed" mean when it comes to meetings?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Open means non-alcoholics can attend.

Closed is only for alcoholics.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Everyone in the January Class!

It sounds like you're all doing well.

The support here is amazing and I think it's so important. I can always find something to inspire me here.

And, I agree that we are all on this journey together and that's our connection. And, that connection is hugely important. But, we are all individuals and we may find different things that help us to continue on the journey.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Intime View Post
I am on day 4 and proud of myself. I will take my bow now. Good job Intime...

Day 3 is over and I'm staring at day 4. I think I am too far into this to turn back. Today I will commit once again to not drink...I will not drink today.
Way to go for making it 3 days... hopefully by the time I check in again you will have made it 4 days! Somewhere around day 4 is when I found it hard. I really had to talk myself through it, but by the end of the day I was pretty drained. Must say, though, after all that effort, the insomnia went away!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Today I made it through day 14, although it was a rough one.

Thursday was always a big night for my friends and I to go out after work for drinks. When I left work the cravings were pretty bad for me, and I came very close to having one. That little voice in my head kept saying "go ahead, one is okay, you can control it". Then the other voice popped into my head and said "no, you can't control it. You've proven that to yourself so many times, so why would tonight be any different?" An hour or so later, the correct voice won out, and I look forward to waking up tomorrow without feeling like garbage.

This site has really helped give me some much needed ammunition to be able to work through the cravings and avoid a relapse. Thanks to everyone who has shared their stories and their support here - you have no idea how much you helped me tonight!