Notices

First Time Sharing

Old 01-04-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Thumbs up First Time Sharing

Hey Everyone

Well, its Day 16 and I am through it. Another day sober

I went to the meeting I first went to after looking up AA and found that I was not the only female in the room (after 2 previous meetings of it being full of men).

I havent expected to share since I started as I was new and had no idea what to say. I was asked last Wed and declined - it was my 1st time at that group and just wasnt up for it.

I dont really know what expectation goes with sharing or ettiquette or anything, only what I have heard others share.

I was called upon tonight and shared for the first time. Wow, how exhilarating is that! I started talking and couldnt shut up, had to laugh at myself, FINALLY my non stop chatter was useful somewhere. So I talked about how today I started to write down my history of drinking and when it started and events that have taken place.

I want to look back in my life and work out how I got to where I did. I spoke for some time about that and how by listening at meetings and identifying I had come to the realisation I was in the right place. The smile that come upon each group member was priceless. There were alot of people who had many many years of sobriety and some with little. And they were all happy to hear me talk about how I have found home, how I appreciate and am grateful for a place that makes me feel comfortable in speaking about something that has scared me for so long.

I spoke of how warm and generous the people are and how the welcoming smile and introduction encourages me to come back and how in 16 short days I feel I have learnt so much and am slowly starting to put some of those things into my life every day.

I am here today, grateful to have found AA but also this website. This website gave me the strength to go to the meeting, to make a start!

I am fairly good at being able to write things, well have the confidence to do it but face to face is alot harder and tonight, I overcame that and wow, I feel so different - almost.....liberated.

Thanks for reading
Rach
Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that beautiful post Rach and I am glad you made that step. It appears to have been good for your soul. Have a great day!! Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
There were alot of people who had many many years of sobriety and some with little. And they were all happy to hear me talk about how I have found home, how I appreciate and am grateful for a place that makes me feel comfortable in speaking about something that has scared me for so long.
So very nice to hear the rooms are alive and well down under, 1/2 way around the world.

Good for you Rach!
Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you moving forward with your recovery, Rachel!
Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congratulations on your sobriety! I'm glad you have found a support system!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

Hey Rach,

So happy to hear that you had a GREAT meeting, that will keep ya
wanting to go back as much as possible! I can just hear the joy in your post!!

Thanks so much for sharing!! Very encouraging for me!!

Day 3
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Date 12/21/09

Rach!

Congrats! I haven't been to any meetings in a while. I went to two several months ago, but wasn't quite ready and definitely was not in the place I am now, thanks to SR. I am just a few days behind you in sobriety so we are taking this journey together.

I'm glad you found the meetings helpful and I anticipate I will moving on to that phase soon, as little cravings are starting to creep in.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Rach!

Congrats! I haven't been to any meetings in a while. I went to two several months ago, but wasn't quite ready and definitely was not in the place I am now, thanks to SR. I am just a few days behind you in sobriety so we are taking this journey together.

I'm glad you found the meetings helpful and I anticipate I will moving on to that phase soon, as little cravings are starting to creep in.
Hey you

Yes we have walked a similar path few weeks. Maybe you should look up the meetings so if you decide to go at the last minute there is nothing holding you back?!

For me, AA helped my head deal with the craving just as much as it did many other things - get ur butt there girl! You said it yourself, you anticipate moving on to that phase soon - why wait??? now is the perfect time!

Hang in there missy..

Rach
xoxo
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Hey Rach,

So happy to hear that you had a GREAT meeting, that will keep ya
wanting to go back as much as possible! I can just hear the joy in your post!!

Thanks so much for sharing!! Very encouraging for me!!

Day 3
Hiya

I have been following some of your posts. Its great to see another newbie in here (there are a few at the moment).

I did get joy out of that meeting. It was like just another light bulb moment and off I go again back into the world with just a little more strength.

Its great to hear the encouraging and helpful posts too so I am glad you saw that!

I also gave my number to someone last night. I hadnt done and while I am only 16 days into this, it wasnt about support in any experience sense but she doesnt have transport to get to meetings and not alot of friends so reached out to her and offered her a ride to meetings. It just felt good...

Off to work for another day (Tuesday in aussie land).

Enjoy your night/day
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
The smile that come upon each group member was priceless.
You can count one more among them -- smiling ear to ear reading about your experience. I'm very happy for you, Rach.

Peace & Love,
Sugah